PDA

View Full Version : How many known failures like this?

Bobcat698
11-09-2002, 10:51
I was just wondering, I know a guy who has a 2001 Dually Duramax Chevrolet who hauls cars on a 50 foot trailer.
He had to get his engine replaced once because junk got into the engine because of where the air intake is, coming out of the right front fenderwell. He said it sucked up road salt & other crap & killed the engine.

Has this happened to any other trucks?

I am not bashing the trucks,(I own one) I am just curious if anyone else had this problem.

Garrett

mdrag
11-09-2002, 11:27
Bobcat698,

The filter housing was modified late in the 2001 MY - the snorkel between the fender and airbox was eliminated, and now there is a large opening on the fender side of the airbox where you can actually see the filter.

How did the "crap" get past the filter? If he has not already done so, he should check with the dealer for the modified airbox.

ibelyea
11-09-2002, 17:12
I would be more worried about the foam lead sheet in front of the intake on the 2002. Durring some hot weather this summer, I pealed loose and I caught it just before it was ready to block the intake. I do not know why it is there, but if you live where it gets hot, check it. This was a big topic at the 2002 rendezvous so I was aware of the problem and lucky to catch it when I did. I do believe that at 65 MPH and suddenly closing off the air supply the turbo would do something weird.

Ivan

Turbo Al
11-10-2002, 13:42
Closing off the air supply should just plain kill the motor, I don't think it would do any harm because that is exactly what the "KILL SWITCH" on our Firetrucks (Frieghtliner) does. A large butterfly valve closes and shuts off all air, I believe it's just after the air intake.
Turbo Al

csimo
11-10-2002, 17:56
I was told that the early 2001 "snorkel" system allowed water into several engines and destroyed the turbo, and caused hydrolock on a couple of engines.

GM eliminated that system and offers a TSB to fix any of the original systems still out there with the snorkel intact.