PDA

View Full Version : Bad fuel long term effect on injectors

TraceF
02-13-2003, 20:11
A few days ago in a different forum I posted this (part of a longer post):

<<Since October there have been approaching 400 posts in at least 3 forums on this filter issue.
I have forgotten much because I am preoccupied with other matters so I have a few questions to help clear things up for me and possibly others.

Did we not check and then confirm the oem Racor filter was a 2-mic? Or is it a 5-mic? I thought Parker/Racor told me 2-mic.

Is there any evidence that GM thinks the oem filter is inadequate?

Are there tech bulletins addressing injector related issues caused by oem filter issues?>>

pinehill answered this (part of a longer answer):

<<1. A number of our membership are seeing premature injector failure. I consider any injector failures prior to 150K miles to be premature.

2. We know that the Bosch injector system was designed for fuel much cleaner than we have here in the U.S.

3. George Morrison has seen badly worn injectors, with the wear directly attributable to dirty fuel.

4. We all know that we frequently see products which are "rated" for performance levels which they really don't satisfy, ie, Racor OEM 2 micron.

5. It's not always the case that GM issues tech bulletins in a timely manner for problems which owners KNOW exist, and for which GM has been spending a lot of warranty dollars. A case in point is the steering rattle, which existed for 2-3 years before the bearing fix TSB was issued. I won't be a happy camper if I've had to pay out-of-pocket for a set of injectors before GM faces up to the problem and issues a recall on the OEM filter system.

6. John Kennedy is the only one here developing an auxilliary filter who has published COMPLETE and excellent filtration test results (on his website).>>

It occurs to me that by the time most of us get to the potential injector issue/problem stage of 120-150,000 miles an aftermarket products manufacturer may come up with a performance fix that includes injectors that are more suited to the quality of fuel that seems to be the source of the problem anyway.

Any body know anything about this?

[ 02-13-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>

Kennedy
02-13-2003, 20:29
You will NOT see injectors that will withstand dirty fuel at high pressures...

TraceF
02-13-2003, 20:42
John- is 120-150k what we can expect if we did not address the filtration issue? Also, comparatively, is the DMax a high pressure fuel system?

Kennedy
02-13-2003, 20:51
Not sure if anyone really knows how long our injectors will last with the present setup, only that if we knock the particle counts down they will triple and even quadruple in life.

at 23,000 psi our injectors would be considered EXTREMELY high pressure!

TraceF
02-13-2003, 20:56
Would you consider them high performance or do you expect performance injectors to be developed for the DMax? Or- are they already available?

GM Smitty
02-13-2003, 21:04
I don't think our injectors will make it to 120,000 or 150,000 miles then suddenly fail. The dirty fuel is causing wear right now, and it will just get worse if the problem isn't adressed. Fuel economy, performance will suffer over time. I only have 24000 miles on my D-Max, and I wish I did this additional 2 micron sooner.

dmaxalliTech
02-13-2003, 21:20
The dirty fuel injectors are showing up as early as 15k here in the dealer. Have had one truck that we have put 6 injectors in it, was in 4 seperate times for them. owner has traded it in and bought new. I installed 2 micron frame rail mounted filter with heater for him, he also had me instal amsoil dual bypass oil filter and deep allison pan with trans-synd fluid. gm tac will not admit freely that injector failures are so common and as was stated above, they will not fail all at once, we usually see them with misfire codes or noise. If you have ever heard fuel knock in a dmax with a bad injector, you will swear the rod is gonna come through the block. If you do not install 2 micron filter, I would change oem filter every 12-15k..

mtomac
02-13-2003, 21:26
dmaxalliTech

what dealer do you work for?

TraceF
02-13-2003, 21:42
dmaxalliTech--

Mine's a 2003. Anything changed to improve the problem?

TraceF
02-14-2003, 07:06
What are the initial symptoms of these injector problems?

Rebel_Horseman
02-14-2003, 12:07
I typically chenge my fuel filter at every other oil change which would put me at the 10k mark. Is this sufficient enough to prolong my injectors?

Reb [&gt;&lt;]