PDA

View Full Version : Help! Has my Baby Girl been ruined?

Duragirl
08-24-2004, 21:14
Hi Guy

DarylB
08-24-2004, 23:04
Have you changed the Air Filter and serviced the truck accordingly?

On a side note, I know that when I drove the wife's mustang for a few days while my truck was getting painted The DMAX sure felt different after about 3 weeks of driving the mustang. Probably just Duramax withdrawals

More Power
08-25-2004, 12:26
I haven't seen it mentioned lately, but here's what TDP recommends for all new diesel owners, or if you buy a new/used truck.

Locate a low traffic, straight stretch of highway where you can safely run up to 60-mph from a standing start.

Take a note pad and stopwatch with you, to record the 0-60 times. Have someone sit behind you in the back seat to record the time. Launch from a dead stop, just using the accelerator (no powerbrake). Record the date, time, elapsed time and outside temperature, and any other variables that might affect a future run (like different tire sizes, added accessories, etc.).

Now, if you ever experience a future power/performance issue, you can re-run the truck, duplicating the conditions as before. This can be very helpful to diagnose a power/performance problem. Expect some variability in the recorded times, but anything out of the ordinary will reveal itself.

MP

Duragirl
08-25-2004, 23:32
Hi Guy's
sorry about the long post. I got carried away.

Thank you, DarylB....
for your response. Yes I have had the truck serviced on schedule, however being the dumb blonde I am. I trusted the dealer to let me know when things like the air filter should be changed. Looking back at the records it was'nt. Unless the (Mr.goodwrench plus oil and filter change) means "air filter" and not "oil filter" I don't know??? I feel so stupid! After looking at the maintenace schedule, I see I should have had the rear axle fluid changed at 5,000 miles, and didn't!!! In the past I would always ask for the recommended maintenance service. My mistake, I'll have to educate myself more.

Thank you, More Power....
That's a great suggestion! I'll do that when I get her back. Hopefully acting like "new" with the new fuel injectors.

Thanks, Kim

Colorado Kid
08-26-2004, 11:28
Don't feel too bad about missing that rear axle drain and fill . . . the recommendation for changing it disappeared from the Owner's Manual after 2002. I'd still have it done, but there was probably little or no harm done.

bigchev
08-26-2004, 12:39
Just curious but how many times have you changed your FUEL filter in 23,000 miles?

Duragirl
08-26-2004, 15:00
Hi Guy's,

Coldrado Kid, Thanks for your reply. that makes me feel a little better.

Bigchev, She's got 30,500 on her right now. I noticed the low power at 7,024 So I've been driving her with bad injectors???? for about 23,000 miles.
I had the fuel filter changed and "replace tran spin OMN filter replace spin on filter" (whatever that means) at 25,164 miles. I know, looking at the maintenance schedule, I should have had that done at 15,000 Chulk it up to ignorence not neglect. after fuel filter change still no improvment in power.

Thank you so much for your replies! Kim

jbplock
08-26-2004, 23:45
Originally posted by Duragirl:
... and "replace tran spin OMN filter replace spin on filter" (whatever that means) at 25,164 miles... Kim,
That would be the Allison external Spin-on filter. It's good you had it changed at 25K. IIRC, after the intitial change at 5k, GM recomends changing the Allison spin on at 50/25 kmi for normal/servere service.

smile.gif

1BADDMAX
08-28-2004, 10:57
I just got my truck back Monday from having all 8 injectors replaced. The truck showed no previous signs of low power etc. Then all of a sudden a drop/surge in power and an SES light. Within the next 100 miles it was sitting at the dealership waiting on injectors (52 days in the shop!). 800 miles before I had an oil analysis done, it didn't show any abonormalities. I don't know if they all go this quick or some take longer, just thought this would be a good bit of information. BTW, the truck runs great. I've already got 500 miles on the new injectors.

So with all this information, I really wonder if DuraGirl's injectors were really bad for 23k miles. Who knows. Maybe some injectors fail over a longer period of time. I always change my fuel filter between 10k and 15k. I will now change it every 5k. I changed it yesterday morning with 8k miles and it had some nasty stuff coming out!

BassinRVer
09-02-2004, 11:58
Duragirl, does your truck run better now?

BassinRVer
09-07-2004, 11:32
Why come on this site and then not come back to give an update. That is rude.

G. Gearloose
09-08-2004, 04:10
I don't think you know enough of her situation to call her rude.

BassinRVer
09-08-2004, 09:47
rude rude rude. How much you want to bet that she never comes back.

richp
09-08-2004, 11:18
I see no rudeness here. Not everyone lives on a constant diet of Diesel Page Forum like some of us. I note that in her last post she thanked everyone for their replies. Seems like she thought the thread had provided what she needed to know and she was appreciative.

As to not replying in the last week, consider a few things. Is it possible that her life got real busy and she just hasn't had time to get back onto the Forum? Is it possible her computer died? Is it possible she went out of town for a week or two? Is it possible (we all hope) that in her joy over getting the truck back with full power restored that she has no current need to log on and is out enjoying life again.

We're all in this to learn and help each other, but we tend to do it in different ways. Understanding that is one of the things that MP promotes, and it's one of the reasons this is such a great board.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips

Member #27

PS -- I'm headed out of town for a month-long wilderness trip where there will be no Internet access. Please don't think I'm rude if I don't reply to any subsequent posts on this subject (smile).

G. Gearloose
09-09-2004, 02:46
I suspect some subscribe to the notion that 8 lines of drivel about stereos, boats and a wife's car is rude...

BassinRVer
09-09-2004, 07:29
smile.gif

BassinRVer
09-09-2004, 07:34
I am glad you like my sig. smile.gif

BassinRVer
09-09-2004, 08:42
And get that dribble off your chin.

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2004, 09:08
:rolleyes:

Now, children........

Duragirl
09-12-2004, 03:16
Hi Guy

More Power
09-12-2004, 10:21
Thanks for the report DG. I hope your grandmother's health improves.

MP

rdanley
09-12-2004, 11:29
bassinrver, i think thier is an appology in order here and a very good one at that. :mad:

G. Gearloose
09-13-2004, 04:36
Wish her (and you) best Duragirl..

Originally posted by rdanley:
bassinrver, i think thier is an appology in order here and a very good one at that. :mad: I concur, duragirl deserves one, hopefully doesn't take a week...

[ 09-13-2004, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: G. Gearloose ]

Tractorhauler
09-13-2004, 05:02
DG,

Hope all goes well with your Grandmother DG.
Isnt it amazing that all of the sudden the things that tend to consume us seem so insignificant in light of our loved ones wellbeing.

Bassin,

That is not dribble on his chin, it is egg on your face.

Tractor hauler

BassinRVer
09-13-2004, 10:38
I have no egg on my face.

Duragirl
09-14-2004, 01:01
Jbplock
Thanks for the education, there seems to be so many filters here and there I can

DmaxMaverick
09-14-2004, 03:06
Duragirl

My prayers are with you and your Nanny.

Although you owe us no explanation, thank you. I hope all is well.

DmaxMaverick
09-14-2004, 03:10
BassinRVer

Very Uncool!

Duragirl
09-15-2004, 00:34
DmaxMaverick,
Thank you so much for your prayers!
Nanny and my Family can use all the help
we can get!
You seem like a very nice person, as do all
who replyed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Always, Kim

hd90rider
09-15-2004, 07:51
DG, I hate to tell you this, but no good can come from diesel in the oil. This happened to my truck 3 times over about 70k miles. Each time I noticed the oil pressure got weaker. GM said,"oh, it wont hurt anything, diesel is an "oil base". Well each time it was another injector problem.Each time there was more diesel in the oil. Last time I was draining out 5 gals of fluid from the crankcase,in 35 miles,trying to get to a dealer. Didnt make it !! Bearings on crankshaft just came apart in pieces. I went from 65psi to 15psi in the course of these 3 failures. Dealer insisted it would be all right to drive with 10psi. Well I was stuck in TX & had to buy a "new" rebuilt engine. My point is, & you need to talk to some experts, there can nothing good come from diesel in your oil!! If you have warranty left "insist", on a new motor. Yes, i had a lot of miles on this truck, but it was serviced faithfully, never any mods,& no hot-rodding. Just a work truck. I dont know why Gm insists "diesel wont hurt you oil", but it will.Get some grease on your hands,use some diesel to clean & see how well it cuts the grease off. Seriously, find some oil experts & I am sure they can give you some ammunition to fight GM on this. All my problems were after warranty,so I had no recourse,but I hope you too.