PDA

View Full Version : Diesel vs. Gas Reliability

roegs
02-07-2003, 14:55
I'll admit right now that I'm brand new to this diesel stuff...my number of posts counter is sitting at 1, and I certainly don't intend to offend any one. I just traded my old 454, and have a '03 Duramax on order. As I scroll through the postings in this forum, I'm getting a little nervous about seeing topics such as smoking, poor performance, bad fuel, bad injector pumps, etc. I'm hoping these are just isolated cases. My old big block gasser gave me many miles of trouble free performance with just normal maint. Can I expect the same from my new DMAX?

Thanks!

bora
02-07-2003, 15:01
It is called the "internet effect," you only hear about people's problems. I had mine for about a year and 15000 miles now and no problems so far.

The transmission does get confused when my wife drives the truck for a few days though. I have to retrain it :)

Heartbeat Hauler
02-07-2003, 15:12
I had a 94 Dually with the 454 motor. It was great! I now have a 2001 Dually DMAX/Allison, best move I ever made. I will say that the 94 had a more confortable interior than the 01 does, but I wouldn't go back.
JP

SoCalDMAX
02-07-2003, 15:30
My previous truck was a '97 Ranger with an anemic 4 cyl in it. When I filled up with gas, the attendant had to help push off. I still towed over the mtns with it, but it was a white-knuckle rollercoaster ride at best.

The Dmax is just a touch better. The #1 comment I hear from passengers is "HOLY CR@P!!!" Followed closely by #2: "I thought you said this thing is a diesel?"

Bora is right, for every Dmax with a problem, there are 10,000 out there quietly hauling something over the next mtn. These are complex trucks, but IMHO, as reliable if not more reliable than other brands.

Go on over to thedieselstop.com and read up on the new 6.0 PSD. Or check out tranny issues, killer dowel pins or lift pump issues with Cummins on TDR. There are still a lot of satisfied Ford and Dodge owners, even though they've got some problem threads that are over 50pgs long. :eek:

Keep on reading here. Maybe add an extra fuel filter for safety, whatever else you like for fun and enjoy the truck!

Regards, Steve

sdaver
02-07-2003, 16:00
27K DRIVEN HARD AND TESTED DAILY........NO PROBLEMS :D

sonofagun
02-07-2003, 16:13
roegs,

Bot mine in 2001. It is the best truck, engine, trans combo I have every owned. I have had ZERO problems. I have followed this site carefully and have taken good care of my truck -- diff oil change at 500 miles), regular changes of oil and filter, regular change of fuel filter and trans filter. I put the deep pan on the trans. I had the 2 piece drive shaft changed out under warranty -- shudder under heavy load, I have cajoled my service manager into updates for the TCM/PCM. I have moved wires and such around when someone on this site noted unusual wear. In short this crowd of truck nuts will help you spoke the few problems before most of them become issues.

I run guages to watch the heat and I don't hotrod my truck. All in all I am very satisfied. I think you will be too.

Welcome aboard,
Bob

roegs
02-07-2003, 17:24
Thanks for the quick and reassuring replies to my post. I'm feeling much better about spending all this money for a truck. smile.gif

I've been doing a lot of searches/reading of posts on subjects such as fuel filters, oil changes (including a valve that replaces the oil drain plug), etc. Are there any sections on the forum giving the basics on maint for us beginners?

Big O
02-07-2003, 17:44
25,000+ miles with not problems. Much, much, better in every way than the Dodge and Ford diesels that I owned. :D

GMCTRUCK
02-07-2003, 17:53
As complicated as the diesels are getting I think the reliability gap has narrowed between gas and diesel engines.

Russ Denman
02-07-2003, 19:12
2002 2500HD D/A with 22500+ and only problem is the passenger side horn is dead. This is my first diesel and I love it. I will not go back to gas.

This truck is the best handling truck I have driven. GM put a lot of thought into it.

Bobcat698
02-07-2003, 21:18
You had a horn die too???

Mine died & went off & on for a while on my 2000 Gasser 2500...

Must have been a short or something..

TSimpler
02-08-2003, 00:04
17000 dog hard miles. 0ver 2000 in 4x4 on dirt/mud/snow, another 750 in 4x4 low. I dont treat her good, I dont baby her, I do hual very very heavy loads up and down dirt roads that some would consider dificult without a trailer on a good day.

SHE RUNS LIKE A RAPED RINO and I've never had a problem.

Trent

NWDmax
02-08-2003, 02:04
110% improvement over my 98 1/2 ton Silverado with the Vortec 350.No comparison.I still get a thrill every time I drive it.I can't get the smile off my face!
Blake :D

FirstDiesel
02-08-2003, 06:59
Bobcat698 said: You had a horn die too???

I have had a dead horn on my DMax too. No short. It's the poor mounting position. I took it out and found it was full of water. Drained and dried it and sprayed some silicone into it and it's working again, for now!!
:rolleyes:

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

gardnerteam
02-08-2003, 08:15
Gas vs Diesel - I've had just about every type of gas engine in pickups from straight flathead 6, 360, 440 Dodges, V6 & 287(Pontiac)GMC, 272, 292, 360, 400, 427, 460, 460 Industrial Fords, 283, 327, 350, 383, 396, 427, & 454 Chev (most rebuilt for higher HP), as well as diesels such as Cummins 6BTA, small Cat 3280, and scads of 6.2, 6.2 Turbo & 6.5 Turbo combinations, as well as the 2002 D/A listed below in stock configuration. The D/A is the most troublefree, quietest, smoothest, and most powerful unloaded, loaded or towing of them all. The 2002 is the best riding, quietest, and most comfortable truck, but the 78 Ford CC was the strongest and best chassis and body (had 460 industrial motor in it) - I rolled that one 200' down a canyon and survived. Ah, youth - if only we survive it.

MICKD
02-08-2003, 08:40
roegs
I was begining to wonder if I maybe made a mistake ordering a DMAX too. I keep reading these posts about the problems some of these guys are having, then I read posts like the few on this page and I feel better about my decision. I also have a buddy of mine who has been a diesel mechanic for years doing fleet services for construction companies, he said these trucks are great trucks, he is a Ford man all the way, but leaning toward a new DMax himself. My brother is also in construction and his company went from Fords to Chevy DMAX because of the down time the Fords spend in the shop. I feel confident in my decision after talking to people and reading positive posts about the DMAX. Every brand vehicle has its problems, but for me GM has the best track record. All my GM products had over 100,000-200,000 miles on them when I sold them or Gave them away. Good Luck with yours. Thank guys for the positve posts, they do ease the mind.

roegs
02-08-2003, 11:50
MICKD...thanks for the post. Its nice to see that I'm not alone. As you mentioned, the positive posts on this thread have been very reassuring.

I have another question posted about the noise levels in the cab of ’03 models vs. the older DA’s. Seems the ’03 may be a little louder. I’m hoping that is not true.

Sounds like we have similar trucks coming. I ordered the Sierra cc sb. I have one more day in which I can change the order before its locked in. I’m still back and forth on which tires (not much of a choice…Firestone or Bridgstone), and which mirrors. Right now I have Firestones (optional tire) and Camper mirrors. My concern with the Camper mirrors is the lack of a convex mirror on the pass side, creating a blind spot. Which did you go with? Also, how long out have the build dates been?

Bulldogger
02-08-2003, 12:01
roegs, If you go over to open roads forum, several people posted that the trailer tow mirrors on the chevy trucks weren't good. They stated that when their extended, they vibrate really bad, have a limited view and have been breaking often. I tow a 5th wheel with the standard mirrors and haven't had any visibility problems at all.Hope that helps, Dave

MICKD
02-08-2003, 22:42
roegs
I ordered a Sierra cc/sb 4x4 polo green, neutral/tan interior with ALL the toys. I didn't specify a tire, I believe i am getting Bridgestones. I did go with the electric camper mirrors. (I'll have to checkout the open road froum as Bulldogger posted) I'm going to get the small self adhesive convex mirror (about 2-3 inchs) from a parts store and stick that on the passenger side. I used them on my other chevy and they worked out really good. My paper work was sent to GM on 1-15-03, I recieved a call last week from the salesman saying the build date would be around 2-18-03, and the truck is expected to be there on or about 3-12-03. 6-8 weeks after the plant (GM) gets the paperwork. As far as noise, I drove a 03 and it appeared quite enough for my concern. A slight more noise than a gasser, but not bad at all. I havent driven an 02.

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: MICKD ]</p>

Jelisfc
02-09-2003, 20:14
I have the factory tow mirrors and they work fine. My trailer is 102" wide. I put a convex mirror on the inside top corner even though the outside corner would be better but I didn't want to cover the integral turn signal.

Bora's reply about internet effect is true. The same for maintenance. I've noticed more overly cautious people post about maintenance vs those of us who just drive'm.