PDA

View Full Version : Smoke a rolling

JimErickson
02-07-2003, 11:00
Last 2 days here have been cold. Around 15 F when I started truck. I didn't plug in truck as I have never had a problem with it starting.

The last 2 days when I start the truck I get a ton of white smoke. Never have seen this before, even last year when it was colder.

Smoke goes away when warmed up but it was throwing a lot of smoke.

I do not notice any problems with engine and no codes are set.

Any ideas on why this is happening now? Could it be aninjector problem? If so, is the injectors covered under 100000 mile engine warranty?

THanx
Jim

403turbo
02-07-2003, 11:22
I live in upstate NY and it has been getting below zero at night this year. I have also noticed white smoke when not plugging in over night. Mine also goes away after about 5 miles at speed.

This kinda looks like the typical moisture related "smoke" that comes out of a gasser when its real cold. Its not heavy and doesn't seem to linger in the rear view mirror.

The fact that it goes away and doesn't happen all the time lead me to believe that its just a cold weather thing and no big deal. I mean our engine is awesome but I can't believe that a diesel at sub zero temps is just gonna spring to life and not smoke at all. I've seen rigs smoke up whole truck stops when starting from cold in winter.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens when its warm also.

JimErickson
02-07-2003, 12:32
I sure hope so.

I don't think it was a water vapor type of thing. Definately stunk up the neighborhood. Got a few nasty looks from neighbors when they saw the cloud of white smoke hoovering around everything. At idle not so bad, but give it a bit of pedal to warm it up a bit and woosh.

Thanx
Jim

403turbo
02-07-2003, 14:02
Well if its that bad maybe there is a problem. :mad:

Do you use any type of additive?

I would try using something that adds cetane and also cleans injectors. I use power service....seems to work....

If it was a seriously bad injector I would expect it to happen even in warm(er) weather. Cold temps might make it worse but I dunno.

Mine does it a little but not that bad (yet)

Yes I think injectors are covered under the 100K engine warrenty. I hope they are, sounds like you and I might be in the same situation, and I hear that they can run $600 a pop. :eek:

Hopefully someone else will chime in with other thoughts.

BigLakeDMAX
02-07-2003, 19:18
Sounds like what I see, also. I started mine without being plugged in (no elec.) at -20F two weeks ago - big, big smoke. I couldn't see the cabin from the truck. Put it on high idle for 15 minutes and it lessened but didn't go away until I drove it. Started it again today at +10 after sitting 2 days - again, not plugged in and it had been down to -15F here overnight. Again, big smoke that quit within blocks of driving it. Smoke is white with blue tint. I use FPPF + Cetane. Doesn't do it warm at all.

mackin
02-07-2003, 20:01
Mine will smoke heavy (white) on idle and for the first few miles of driving when I accelerate from a stop when it's cold like you mention.....In addition it will have a blue oil burning haze until fuel heater gets up to temp,hence the volt meter in less then desirable volts on start up....No big deal All diesels do this....If it's chugging white pumes when HOT then you got problems......

MAC

jbplock
02-07-2003, 20:10
White smoke usually means unburned fuel. Since the white smoke goes away when you use the block heater it’s probably nothing to worry about.

02-08-2003, 05:16
You may want to check the intake air heater. Sometimes when it does not work correctly the intake air remains cold for a prolonged period of time. This may be giving you the white smoke condition you described.