PDA

View Full Version : Juice Slamming Tranny Into 3rd

Billy14
02-07-2003, 10:29
Fellow Juice Owners

Runnin Hot 4.61 level 4 in normal & level 2 tow/haul with no limp but, 2nd to 3rd shift is quick & hard enough to dump coffee out all over the console. I was pullin 16,000 lbs. last week in tow/haul level 2 & thought the diff. was going to show up in the rear view. Real quiet, very little smoke, & the truck runs out very strong.

Edge had me disconnect & reconnect the unit. Told me to drive it real easy for 20 minutes to let the tranny re-train. I drove it like a baby all day. Finally decided to hit it & WHAM :eek: hard shift still there. I'm not talking about a quick lockup here, this is like popin the clutch on a std. tranny at 2,000. It will do it almost every time if I use more than half pedal in 2nd.

Anyone else experienced this?

Billy

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Billy14 ]

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Billy14 ]</p>

stillracing
02-07-2003, 22:44
Hi,

Try disconnecting the batteries for a short time. Reconnect and try again. My 4.61 hot juice shifts better than mt 3.5 did are you sure you have 4.61.

Try the relearn mode by shifting from drive to 1st three times. Some folks say this does not work.

I say try it all.

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: stillracing ]</p>

Billy14
02-08-2003, 00:12
Stillracing,

Tried both & yes I have 4.61. No change, still bangs into 3rd & like I described before, this is a teeth rattling, things flyin off the seats kind a shift. Something has to eventually break especially pulling a heavy load! Other than this, the tranny shifts like a dream & the truck runs strong. It's only when you hit it hard in 2nd.

On Edit: I have the TCM update that will force the tranny to downshift into 1st on a steep grade holding throttle only (no brake applied).

Thanks,

Billy

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Billy14 ]</p>

Swayse
02-08-2003, 07:52
I've got the HOT 4.61 too, and my truck does what yours does just not all the time. I thought it was gone, then yesterday it started again. That slam will wake you up, huh. I wish I could help, but I have no idea, my guess is the juice. My truck never did it with the 4.30 HOT. I've had all the reflashes that are available for my truck, called the dealer yesterday. If you find out what it is, let me know, and I'll do the same.

Billy14
02-08-2003, 08:52
Stillracing
Swayse,

My original post may have been misleading. It doesn't do it ALL the time. I'd say one out of every 5 or six shifts & ONLY when more than half pedal is applied. Other than this, the truck & tranny perform perfectly.

Billy

stillracing
02-08-2003, 09:52
Well I would contact Edge and see if they can provide a fix.

Your problem may have to do with the fact you pull 16000 lbs and the allision is used to that load. You may have to back off your juice power.

I am no expert just giving you some ideas.

Swayse
02-10-2003, 13:37
Yep, sounds like mine and yours are doing the same thing. I bet it's the Juice.

Billy14
02-10-2003, 17:04
To all,

The only input from Edge as stated before was to unplug the Juice, plug it back in & drive the truck easy for awhile. No Change!

I have found that if I drive easy & then hit it the shift is smooth but, if I hit it say two or three times within an hour or so, it will bang into 3rd.

Has to be something in the programming that could take care of this. Wait & see I guess for the next version.

Billy

mackin
02-10-2003, 17:30
Yes this shift can be rather abrupt at times....
All has to do with throttle position when the shift is made.....I can do it at will.....You have to admit it is clean and to the point.....If All shifts could only be so sweet,IMO.....Bring on the mods.....

MAC :D :D :D

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>