PDA

View Full Version : Propane!!! Good or Bad???

RWHP
02-06-2003, 22:29
From a purely towing and economy stand point do I want a propane kit to increase my gas millage and improve power? Or do I need to stick with a Juice box or similar product?

I am not interested in dyno results/1/4 mile times/or tranny slip. I am interested in better miles per gallon/better towing power about 12k load.

From what I read propane does both of the items I am interested in but are there any downfalls? Does propane hurt the engine when left on ALWAYS? Does the Allison start to slip with the additional power?

Thanks

SoCalDMAX
02-07-2003, 01:07
I've got the Power Shot 2000 system. In my experience, propane will provide 100rwhp or an extra 70rwhp in conjunction with a fuel module. My truck will accelerate rapidly up a 6% grade with a 7,000lb trailer when using it.

The major benefit is that it's boost indexed, so it comes on at ~4psi of boost and increases linearly as boost rises, which is when you need more power anyways. It does lower EGTs from 100-200* under heavy load (like uphill.) When cruising on level ground and boost is below 5psi, it isn't on.

It will increase fuel economy slightly, but it isn't free, you had to pay for the propane. I'd say it breaks even on the economic factor. The positive side is, you get 100 extra ponies for roughly the same fuel costs as a stocker.

Will it cause the tranny to slip? Not by itself. If stacked with a module, possibly if you're making more than an extra 120hp or so.

Is it detrimental to run it for extended periods? I don't think so, it burns cleaner and helps burn all of the diesel rather than producing smoke. The downside is, more power is more strain on the drive train, regardless of the source of the extra power. The advantages of propane over other power adders is it burns cleaner and helps cut down on smoke, it can produce up to 100 extra hp in a linear, smooth fashion and it lowers EGTs when you need it most.

Only you will know if the extra expense of the kit, the tank and purchasing the propane is worth it to you.

Regards, Steve

RWHP
02-07-2003, 13:47
Thanks SocalDmax,

My truck just has a straight pipe and a K&N airbox replacement on it. And to be honest neither of which added any power by them selves. I guess my main concern is will 5th gear hold going up a grade with my trailer loaded.

A friend of mine has a the Powershot 2000 on his dodge, I think we are going to do a quick RandR to test it out on my truck.