PDA

View Full Version : Pitman Arm

TTM
03-04-2005, 08:03
I changed the piman arm out last night. Took the steering gear right out the truck to service, the job wasn't to bad but....I marked the steering gear splinds so that they would line back up when I hooked the steering gear up to the linkage, but now the steering wheel is just off center when the wheels are pointed straight. Just wondering would this be because I missed lining up the splinds by a couple from when I disconnected the unit. The truck steers fine does not wonder and the steering as a whole has tighted up. Has anybody had this happen when doing the pitman arm?

Hubert
03-04-2005, 09:18
I changed mine out a while ago and did all the other stuff too and steering wheel was off (but probably due to tie rods). I anticipated and had the alignment redone after.

My 97 the splines had at least one wide key or spline (maybe 3 memory fuzzy) that made it go on only one way or significantly different. If you took the gearbox all the way out I would expect there to be at miniumum a little steering wheel difference.

1/2 turn seems like a lot if the idlerarm or tierods were not touched. You may get away with not realigning it but I would do it for the insurance (tires aren't cheap anymore). They can realign the steering wheel at the same time.

Curious is it the same number of turns either way to lock up from straight??? The box may not be the limiter here so you are probably alright.

Billman
03-05-2005, 06:48
I would assume that you have a 4WD because removal of the gearbox is not necessary on a 2WD.

Chances are that the truck was last aligned with a slightly worn pitman arm. Now that there is no slack in the arm, you have different results.

Not a big deal. Common problem.

Check all F/E components and have re-aligned...

diesel joe
03-06-2005, 15:42
I worked in a Chevrolet shop for 6 years and I know that during that time we replaced well over a hundred pitman arms as well as the idler arms and all of them needed to have the steering wheel reset to straight ahead position. the pitman arm can only be installed in 4 positions and the splines are close to the orginal engineering specs but are never right on. Hope this helps.

TTM
03-07-2005, 09:28
Thanks guys good info, got it realigned, had to take the clamp off and with the wheels straight just slightly move the steering wheel to the straight position and realign the splinds...it's amazing how only being out a couple of splinds can make a big difference. Truck tracks well no problems.