PDA

View Full Version : Hot Juice 4.61 wow!

NWDmax
02-05-2003, 12:56
Got my truck back from the stealer yesterday(they installed a new turbo oil return line)and put on my upgraded Hot Juice box.Had reg Juice/EZ AMP ver 3.51 before and JK got me set up with ver 4.61 Hot.I tell you what this thing flat out rips!It still has a great midrange hit like the old 3.5 but has more upper rpm power too.The old version seemed to run out of steam a little early in the rpm band.It took level 4 settings on both tow/haul and normal(whats that, lol)the first time too.Noticed a lot less defueling between shifts.Much cleaner and quicker shifting.
What is the torque increase on the 125 horse Hot Juice over the 250 ft lbs the standard juice has?
Blake :D

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: NWDmax ]</p>

Toddster
02-05-2003, 13:39
300 ft lbs. I believe....Glad you like the 4.61, wish I could say the same. I upgraded from 4.30 Hot to 4.61 Hot and regret every mile of it ! 4.61 did take away the "powerstroke" sound when the pilot injection kicks off, witch I'm sure was not very good for the motor.....But, my 4.30 would SMOKE this thing hands down ! :mad:

NWDmax
02-05-2003, 14:06
Toddster, funny thing when I left this morning after getting the truck in that half warmed up mode I noticed the pilot injection shutting off for a prolonged period of time.Not the occasional ping or series of pings but a "Cummins rattle" for about 10 to 15 seconds.Of course it goes away when fully warmed up but a lot more than my old 3.5 reg.
Did Edge give you any idea what the problem or solution is?It sounds like most the other Hot users are happy with theirs.
I love my truck and I still get a kick every time I drive it.I had to drive a ZR2(fancy name for an S-15 GMC mini pick up)for 9 days while my truck was at the shop.That sucked big time with the touchy brakes,gutless V-6,stupid baby diaper yellow orange paint and a lousy ride.Not that I'm complaining as it was a brand new loaner rig and the dealer was top notch on the customer service.But after driving the best with enhancements everything else just won't do.I don't even like driving the wife's Tahoe anymore!

Blake
:cool:

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: NWDmax ]</p>

Toddster
02-05-2003, 16:29
HHHMMM....Well, my 4.30 problem would happen @ 2500-2700 RPM....Real noticable especially when not up to full temp. 4.61 is smooooth but has no where near the power of my 4.30. From a dead stop, no boost, mash the throttle...Major hesatation, very little black smoke. 4.30 no hesatation, smoke like a freight train ! WTF ! :mad:

mackin
02-05-2003, 17:02
Toddster

Send it back dude.....I'd let you try mine ,but I know you won't want to give it back .......Mine runs like a scalded dog,right out of the gate straight to the rev limiter !!!!!
Or you may try=&gt;
Un-choke that exhaust !!!!!! Dump that 55 gallon choker......May take away the out of the hole spool up issue.....Plus you have them big meats in the courners..Wonder if it takes the EDGE off ???? OH !!!!! ;)

Sweet deals on one legger BANKS....

Can't pick on you truck cause it's a 03 GMC, looks to friggen SWEET !!!!! But apparently it's kinda SLOOOW,so says you .....

MAC :D :D :D

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

wild bore
02-05-2003, 17:19
You guys that have hot juice. what does it take for the trans to go into limp mode? Does it only do it if you stay on it from a dead stop, or will it go limp just cruising and getting on it?

Mackin`, who has the sweet deals on the banks?

NWDmax
02-05-2003, 17:20
Toddster,did you ever do a 0 to 60 test between the two to see if your seat off the pants impressions were true?If you are right what have you got to lose sending it back other than a few days driving"naked" without it?I know it stinks driving juiceless.
Mac,any new info to report on your aFe intake?The dealer selling those here for $239.What you have to give for yours?
Blake smile.gif

mackin
02-05-2003, 17:33
NWDmax

Look in the "lost one thread" ..... It's raining it's pouring .....I got to get some PICS up to show you,tomorrow.....

wild bore

I was talking to somone on the phone,Cough!! Bill Cough !!,and he was giving me some prices from some place in Jersey....If he doesen't chime in I'll let him know someone is looking for him ......
Or drop me a dime when you got the time.....

MAC :D :D :D

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Toddster
02-05-2003, 18:38
Yeh, I e-mailed Aaron....Prolly send it back for a spot check....Maybe I got one without the timing but I was VERY specific that I wanted timing....Funny, all the bitching we hear about high EGT's and limp mode and I have never seen either with either Hot program....55 gallon drum muffler, stock chocker intake, and Hot Juice, wonderfull EGT's....Added the AFE and droped about 100 degrees...Oh, I have had the meats on the corners since 14 days old ! I think it's time to find out where the high EGT's and limp mode exist in my particular truck.....185hp box maybe ? ;) On edit Mackdaddy, thanx for the compliment, but I like your Chebby fatty better....And one more thing, you will NEVER see a Banks or any other one legged exhaust on a truck that I own ! :D

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: Toddster ]</p>

NWDmax
02-05-2003, 20:00
Ok Mac,I'll give a look see tommorrow.
Toddster,whats your opinion again on the stage 2?
you've been strangely silent on the subject.
Are you catching Mac's cold? tongue.gif
Blake

sdaver
02-05-2003, 20:09
wild b
the bulk of my limp problems I think were associated with amsoil syn atf.........after changing to transynd the limp has left...........but to answer your question mine was appearing in 5th with a heavy application of my right size 12 boot......... :D dave

wild bore
02-05-2003, 20:42
sdaver, to clear limp mode I think I read to just pull over and turn truck off for 30 seconds.

I`m thinking about upgrading but I want put in the gauges and exhaust first.

Thanks

sdaver
02-05-2003, 20:54
WB
if it goes into full limp yes thats right and it takes lots of ignition cycles to clear the code....,when mine would limp it would go to neutral first I would let off the throttle shift into neutral coast a few hundred feet then back into drive shazam......shifting normal again with no codes..........however let it shift into neutral and keep reving the motor hoping it would catchup it will go to 3rd and stay until you clear the limp by your method..........and the ses light stays on for a while. :D dave

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-06-2003, 07:20
Toddster.........MAC,

What's up with this????

QUOTED " Toddster,

Yeh, I e-mailed Aaron....Prolly send it back for a spot check....Maybe I got one without the timing but I was VERY specific that I wanted timing....Funny, all the bitching we hear about high EGT's and limp mode and I have never seen either with either Hot program...."

WHATCHA MEAN???? There are 2 versions??? one with and one without timing.

How can I find out what I have??????

I had v4.30 "HOT" and it hit hard on the bottom end, but it had issues. v4.61 "HOT" hits hard too, much more refined I must say.

Lemme Know :D :D

GMC ;)

Toddster
02-06-2003, 08:37
Yeh slick, there are two versions, leaded and unleaded.....What issues did you have with the 4.30 ?

Kennedy
02-06-2003, 08:48
4.30 had issues with the power turning off on some trucks when the TCC locked as I recall. I only ever ran this version one time as once I felt it "lay down" I removed it.

4.35 and 4.61 are the current versions. 4.35 has no timing.

If you have a 4.30, I'd suggest updating.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

GMC D-Max
02-06-2003, 08:57
I've got the v4.61 now, and I'm loving the power! It is smoother that previous versions. Unfortunately, I'm have no luck changing levels since my initial installation (dang, I wish Edge would hurry up and get that dash-mounted selector switch done! ;) ) I've tried disconnecting the Juice for a while (to cut power from it), three pumps on the pedal to set, two pumps, cycle tow/haul switch several times after starting the truck, setting both modes to level 1 (per Aaron's instructions), NOTHING'S WORKING! AARRGGHHH!!!
:D
I don't wanna take it out, I don't wanna take it out, I DON'T WANNA!! I just want level 4 in NORMAL mode, not tow/haul!

Any ideas? JK?
(Hey JK, I wanted to yak at ya about the Sierra to Denali headlamp hybrid booster harness, but that's another thread! smile.gif )

RVGuy
02-06-2003, 10:41
John Kennedy,

Do I understand you to say then....

That version 4.61 DOES include the timing mod and version 4.35 does not?

And lastly, are all version 4.61 (hot or not) include the timing mod?

Thanks,

Idle_Chatter
02-06-2003, 18:39
GMC-Dmax: I had JK upgrade my Edge from 4.30 to 4.61 and I'm having some setting problems, too. I'm in level 3 regular (which I'm really enjoying) but I can't get to level 4 in regular or tow/haul and I can't get above level 1 in tow/haul. Very strange. I tried several times a week or so ago with no luck. Snow tomorrow, so I won't fool with it until the roads clear, but would sure like to see what's in the level 4 bag of tricks sometime!

Bass_on_tap
02-06-2003, 20:37
GMC D-MAX, I had trouble adjusting levels also. It took me 12 times to get it to a level other than default. The one time it did works, was the only time that the "check engine" light didn't come on . I saw this mentioned in another post by someone else. The only thing different I did that time was that turned the key to the first on position, only the battery light came on, waited 30 seconds, then turned the key to the next on position and I didn't see the "service engine" light. From there, follow the directions for setting levels. You may also check that the "comb connector" on the harness, as JK calls it, is not pushed out of place. The only other suggestion that I have is to have the truck up to temp before trying to make level changes. Hope this helps. Dave

hoot
02-06-2003, 20:39
I always have trouble resetting my "change oil" message. I wonder if this is related. I don't have the Juice but don't you have to depress the throttle to change settings?

Kennedy
02-06-2003, 21:01
No timing:
4.35 Hot

Timing:
4.61Hot
4.61 Cali
4.61 Hot Cali

3.61 and 3.61 Cali have stuck around for some reason, but I have no idea why...

sdaver
02-06-2003, 21:13
guys
sometimes it takes several tow haul button cycles to get the right conformation..... :D dave

hoot I sure miss your long signature I just sent morepower $5.00 to allow it to be shown for 2 more months........Send Money Secure Transaction

to turbo@montana.com

Amount:$5.00

Currency:
U.S. Dollars Canadian Dollars Euros Pounds Sterling Yen
Type:
-- Please Select Type -- Service Goods - Auction Goods - Non-Auction Quasi-Cash
Subject:
(optional)

Note:
(optional)
please allow hoot to dispaly his long signature for two more months thanks dave

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Idle_Chatter
02-06-2003, 21:20
You got it, Hoot. Press the pedal to the floor three times just like setting the change oil light. If you're having trouble with that, it could be floormat interference or a slightly out of adjustment APP module that is not quite getting to 100% when you floor the pedal.

DMAXED
02-06-2003, 22:00
I had my 3.61c updated to 4.61 hot juice at jannetty racing and I had a real tuff time setting levels tried everything e break on e break off cycle tow haul after like ten trys it took level 4 normal 2 t/h power is great it did smoke more on the low end with 3.61 but more power with 4.61 the second time setting levels went much better.

GMC D-Max
02-07-2003, 09:02
Well, I'm glad(?) to see that I'm not the only one having problems setting levels. Like I said, I've tried every which way besides standing on my head. I haven't yet seen a "service engine" or "change oil" message yet, although the "change oil" will flash at me briefly when turning the key. In a conversation with Aaron at Edge the other day, he told me to try resetting both normal and tow/haul modes back to level one, and if I was succesful in doing that, the box should readily take a different level setting. I'm going to yank the box today, inspect all the connector pins, and leave it out for a while (ostensibly to drain off any power), then try again later.

In all other aspects, I'm thrilled with this box, and this is the first time, in 3 software upgrades, that I've had any problems. Never any codes set, or limp mode (knock on woodgrain!).

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-07-2003, 13:04
Toddster,

4.30 would die just like JK said. Happend to me pulling out onto a busy road. Lucky for me I had already had the HAMMER DOWN HARD when she ****d!!!!

I had enough speed to make a church parking lot where after a few "WTF's :mad: " and what a "POS :mad: " I sent it back.

Aaron took care of it and to date NO PROBLEMO :D

GMC ;)

Toddster
02-07-2003, 13:24
W :eek: W ! That sucks ! Happy to say mine never died....Wuz just sceeeerd of all the "powerstroke" noise when coming of the pilot injection, the 4.61 did take care of that. :D My gripe is my 4.30 was just plain faster, maybe Aaron mistakingly sent me a beta? Maybe thats why all the motor noise ? That thing just plain ripped ! :confused:

imported_
02-07-2003, 20:53
i talked to aron today about my 4.3hot.... he said that there is timing in it..... and if rev 4.61 is like my 3.65 juice i will keep both the 3.0 and 4.3 versions!

stillracing
02-07-2003, 22:38
I too had problems setting the power level on my 4.61 version. I shut truck down for two hours and tried again, bingo level 4. The thing runs perfectly, much, much better than my 3.5 version.

I sent my box to JK from California on a Monday and it was back in my hands on Friday.

THANK YOU John Kennedy

Trippin
02-07-2003, 22:59
My 4.61 "hot" has been flawless. I've set, reset and generally fiddled around with the power settings at will. As per discussions on this board I always set both drive and tow/haul at the same time even if I only want to change the level in one mode. I use the same procedure each time. I set the drive mode, then tow/haul mode then start without turning off the key. Works for me. Hope this helps.

None of that California programming stuff for me! Let it smoke baby! Let it smoke! :D

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Trippin ]</p>

TBC
02-07-2003, 23:59
I have been debating about buying a Juice for my Duramax and have always wondered why there is a much negative comments or maybe more than positive comments. It seems as if there is always some problem with them so why does everyone buy it. Personally I would rather install a performance product that does not cause a problem and having to constantly tinker with the vehicle to make it work

I don't hear much about the Duramaxizer either way. Right now I definitely wouldn't buy a Juice until someone convinces me that all of the comments I read are not really problems as it appears they are.

Somebody please tell the real truth about the Juice other than all the great power it gets when the truck works like it is suppose to. I am confused about this product to say the least.

Tom Cobb

NWDmax
02-08-2003, 01:38
Cmon TBC,the little probs I had with ver 3.5 didn't stop me from enjoying it.The cool thing is you can always send it back for a re flash and there is a variety of programming options that should make everyone happy.(except Toddster who just bi--s about it LOL)
Now for my new 4.61 hot its been flawless,more powerful but shuts the pilot injection down more when cold than my old set up.I suspect this is due to more timing in the hot program vs reg but I don't know.Its no big deal imho and the thing cooks let me tell ya!
I'm not gettin ****y or anything but your missing out by not gettin with the "program".Its a blast being on the leading edge (no pun intended)of diesel performance technology.Its going to be fun if/when the predator actually makes and appearance.More choices is always better and I love this stuff. Blake
tongue.gif tongue.gif

Toddster
02-08-2003, 08:29
W :eek: W ! Guess you told me ! Well, I'll just shut up already and send it back ! Dude, I'll never be happy till I'm puttin' at least 500hp to the ground ! :D Where the f%&K is that tranny fix ! :mad:

TraceF
02-08-2003, 09:02
Todd- On those 3 things- you got 'em in the right order?

:D tongue.gif

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>

NWDmax
02-08-2003, 10:55
Toddster thats a good attitude to have. When is enough enough?Is there such a thing as too much?
I don't think so!This is all in fun ya know. :D Blake

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: NWDmax ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
02-08-2003, 11:05
TBC,

It's the internet forum effect. We're only seeing posts from people asking questions or reporting problems. There are tens of thousands of us out there quietly going around beating the SNOT out of anybody naive enough to think the Duramax is like the diesels of yesteryear.

I *really* enjoy it when towing the trailer and a marginally quick car figures he's gonna sneak by me as the lanes narrow from 2 to 1. He gets next to the trailer and realizes I'm accelerating with the traffic, and there's nowhere to go. :eek:

There are lots of forum members enjoying the extra power, but don't have any problems so they just read the forum until someone asks a Q, then they answer.

So your next question might be: Anybody with a Juice/Hot Juice module live near me? Care to give me a ride or try it out on my truck? I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies. :D

Regards, Steve

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

Dmaxin
02-08-2003, 12:22
Anbody live near kansas city with the juice care to give me a ride? :D tongue.gif

CPMac632
02-08-2003, 14:06
I live pretty close to KC. Just north a bit. Get ahold of me and we'll try to get together.

GMC D-Max
02-08-2003, 18:04
Update:
I disconnected the Juice yesterday morning. Inspected plugs, had one pin ever so slightly pushed back in the socket (not so much you'd think it's not making contact). Reset the pin. Re-installed Juice. First attempt at resetting levels, no joy! Try again. Cycle tow/haul several times....WHOOPEEE!! I'm in business! :D

I like the level 4 power delivery MUCH more in normal mode than tow/haul. It seems that in tow/haul mode the shift points are too high and there's more lag between shifts. Now, it's a steady, push you back in your seat pull (even through shifts) until...Uhhhh! Damn that 96mph speed limiter!!!
I can tell I'm gonna need a new pair of BFG Mud Terrains soon!

On edit:
Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to smoke as much in normal mode (on level 4) as it did in tow/haul. The other day, I launched from a stop (level 4 in tow/haul), and left the person behind me choking in a cloud of diesel exhaust. (whoops! Sorry! :cool: ) Now, it doesn't smoke half as much (level 4, normal). And I know for a fact it's making the same amount of power (at least that's what my butt's telling me!). Any ideas? Or have I just been inhaling to much of my truck's emissions? (SNOORRTT!!!) :D

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: GMC D-Max ]</p>

Idle_Chatter
02-09-2003, 10:28
As I posted in the "4.61 Confirmation" thread, I got mine straightened out this morning on the way to work. Worked without a hitch at a stoplight (for normal to level 4) and in the lot at work after arriving (for tow-haul to level 2). I think having the engine up to temperature seemed to make it easier. When I had trouble getting to level 4 normal and could not get out of level 1 tow/haul it was cold in the garage. I'm kinda liking the little extra kick in the butt from level 4 vs. level 3! ;)

RVGuy
02-11-2003, 22:57
Someone casually stated that they have had success in changing levels and getting confirmation by putting the truck into Drive after starting up the engine and before doing the P-R-N-R-P routine.

I had not had much luck getting confirmation of level changes until doing the above.

Today, I changed levels on Normal and T/H several times and got confirmation every time by putting the truck in Drive before executing the confirmation P-R-N-R-P. I think that was the answer....at least for me.

And by the way, I'm depressing the go pedal three times. Haven't tried two....but why mess with a good thing. At least for now, anyway.