PDA

View Full Version : Spewing Diesel ALL Over!...

ndamico
02-02-2003, 23:58
Today I was making the 1 hour drive to ride dirt bikes with my girlfriend and started noticing smoke out the back end. Pulled over, look under and diesel is pouring out all over the ground... Great.. Get back home and the truck is covered in diesel. The entire body, bed, hood, roof, undercarriage (not to mention the trail down my street). Thank God for that 45 gallon tank. I filled up this morning and had 1/8 tank left!!

Called GM roadside assistance. They tell me I have to call the fire department to clean it up before they will tow! So I do, truck comes out. Firefighters laugh and tell me they don't need to do anything. Say i should drive it to dealer with fuel pouring out all over their service area.

So i took many pictures and video for documentation and just posted them after washing truck several times in pitch dark.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm flying out of town for 3 days so I see what old stealer finds out.

From what I can tell the top of the engine on the driver's side has fuel all over it with some on the sound dampening material on the hood. Should I be worried about my undercoating and paint getting trashed from soaking in fuel???

Maybe I should just be happy I didn't get stranded in BFE! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nick

http://www.wackywack.com/smokin_diesel.htm

[ 02-02-2003: Message edited by: ndamico ]</p>

mackin
02-03-2003, 05:40
WOW !!!!!

Certainly is spewing all over the place.....Seems it was entering the crankcase by the volume of vapor,in addition? ..... Surprised you kept it running so long.....Diesel fuel will strip under coating.....

Good luck, hope you have a very corporative dealer and get it fixed to your liking, the first time.....Nobody likes to see this,happen.....

MAC

Kennedy
02-03-2003, 08:35
The fuel rail psi sensor is the first place that I would look...

oyazi
02-03-2003, 10:20
Nick ~ No doubt you took it to the nearest one, that being daugherty. John Loof was my service writer and had done me well in the past. Do keep us posted. Now, I'm concerned about catching mine as what w/the LT window tint and the camper tint, I would not see any black smoke unless I could catch a glimpse in the mirrors.

Flyboy
02-03-2003, 10:38
Same thing happened to me,including the request to call the fire department. I said no thanks and loaded the truck on my trailer and hauled it to the dealer. The fuel pump had disentegrated. Parts of it was laying in the valley of the engine. Engine was still running normally but leaving a trail of fuel. Dealer got pump overnight and changed it next day. I just let the fuel evaporate and it didn't seem to hurt the undercoating.

pinehill
02-03-2003, 11:28
Ndamico,

Are you regularly using any kind of fuel additive? If so, what brand?

Flyboy,

Same question for you.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

Flyboy
02-03-2003, 18:53
I was using Rotella DFA at the time. I ran out and haven't used any since.

fredw
02-03-2003, 22:43
fly boy: your senario happen to me two times on my 02, first time driving threw the mountains, main cause was the high pressure vanaken box over pressured the rail systemand filled the crankcase up and made the same mess, second time was two weeks latter, main cause was gm mechanic not tighening line to fuel pump, it was comming out so bad that i could see vehicles going bye me have to use the wipers due to the desel covering their winsheild, used a tank of fuel in 30 miles, drove it right to the dealer, left in front of shop oors for all to see

ndamico
02-03-2003, 23:29
Pinehall,

As for additive I have used Amsoil Cetane boost the first 11k miles, and switched to Stanadyne. I always used about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle in every 45 gallon fill-up.

Update: Took to dealer this morning. They called me as i was getting on my plane to St. Louis and said they couldn't find my wheel lock key.. Argh.. they said the truck is too high (stock with 285's) to work on w/o removing front wheels. so they can't find the key. so my GF has to go to my house and get the key to my toolbox (in bed) and hopefully its in there... i didn't even think they'd need to take the darn wheels off to look in the engine compartment! oh well hopefully they'll be able to tell me whats wrong tomorrow when they get the key... sit tight...

...to be continued :confused: :confused: :confused:

on a side note: did anyone happen to checkout the videos?

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: ndamico ]</p>

Swayse
02-04-2003, 07:55
So, my truck with the 285's would be too high to work on? :rolleyes:

CPMac632
02-04-2003, 08:09
Havn't heard that one before. Too bad we don't have some type of stupid dealership award because that one would be hard to beat.

Kennedy
02-04-2003, 08:48
Send them here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/1936.html

#'s 8040T22 or 8040T24 (middle of the page) are a MUST to work on these newer trucks!

I have 8040T24 and use it all the time. Particularly handy for assisting the elderly (grandparents) into the truck. The 21" height is pretty near level with my floor making under dash work much easier. The wide top platform is easy to hit when climbing down from atop the engine compartment...

ndamico
02-04-2003, 19:59
Well I called the dealer this evening and they have the truck fixed. The first question the service advisor asks me is, "Do you have some type of performance modifications on the engine?" when i said "No" (because i haven't done that yet, still waiting for Banks) she said, "Oh, then the stickers (Banks Power) on the side are fake?" I said, "No, they came with my gauges!" She then said the mechanic told her to ask because if i said yes they wouldn't warranty it. She seemed to believe me when i told her she could check with Banks because they didn't make anything yet.

They said the fuel line connecting to the left fuel rail was loose. all i could say is WTF? they're ordering new insulation for the hood and said they'd check on the firewall one when i inquired... i asked about the diesel fuel spill, and they said they steam cleaned the whole truck. i wonder if they covered up my electronics? when i asked about the undercoating they said there was nothing they could do so if it looks trashed i may have to starting biatchin' to a higher power. I haven't even asked about the $50 worth of Diesel i lost!

All in all i'm glad she's fixed but the experience leaves me a bit concerned about loose bolts.

I'll post again after I pick her up Thursday...

mackin
02-04-2003, 20:25
A few things.....

Good job on video's, good quality ..... Thank's for the visual.....

Looks to me your dealer was looking to pick a fight so that should be a warning to you, as it would be to me, when and if you add additional hardware as they will play hard ball !!!!!!

How could, would they think that a performance mod would loosen up your fuel rail ????

Why wouldn't residue damage be warranted??? The warranted part failed .... Bark up the tree .......

You have to let us know if they give you the fuel, that maybe a stretch ..... ;)

MAC :D :D :D

ndamico
02-04-2003, 23:43
Hey Mac,

I hear you on the free fuel, but is it my fault i filled the sucker up before it started puking? i can just see them saying, "we'll refund you 3/4 of a 26 gallon tank, but you installed the 45 so the rest is your problem"...

but yeah i got my boxing gloves ready!

glad you liked the videos...

ndamico
02-09-2003, 01:36
Well i got the truck back. They said the left (driver's side) fuel rail was leaking where the fuel is fed to it. they tightened it down and good so far. they steam cleaned the truck and replaced the hood insulation. however, after picking up my truck my leaf springs are making weird clunks when i go around corners. sounds like the bushing is binding. took back to dealer today and they lubed it up and it seems to be much quieter.. i think it's still there but i might be crazy too now.. they wouldn't do anything about some of the bare metal i have now duel to diesel coating it. i didn't even get any fuel out of them so i ended up averaging 6 mpg for that tank!

and to top that off, they broke a "wire" to my pcm. invoice stated that after they fixed the problem my SES light was on and they traced it to a broken wire! funny it wasn't on when i dropped it off!!

and lastly the first time i picked it up the "add coolant" message was on..i look in the resivor and its low. they say they didn't disconnect the radiatior for service, so they i ask when the paint is freshly scratched off the upper radiator hose clamp???? they add some coolant and i'm outta there..

i wish i had a better stealer..i mean dealer... :( :( :(

mackin
02-09-2003, 07:36
ndamico

Well, at least it's fixed ...... Me I'd be a thorn in their azz till it was entirely fixed......Any and all residue or residual problems.....But that's me, I'll make the time and spend that time at their place of incompetence,IMO.....

Looking over your PICS, off topic, where did you get them switches for High Idle OD lockout??? May have some use for switches like that down the road....

Thanks

MAC :D :D :D

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mdrag
02-09-2003, 13:25
mackin,

I asked the same question of ndamico a few months ago. The switches are made by NKK in different sizes and shapes (round, square, rectangular) with multiple options for lighting - many different colors, LED or bulb.

I have the square NKK series KB switch as the ODLO switch - red, .551 square. Check the second link in my sig for the CUPHOLDER SWITCHES album. You can find these switches:

www.digikey.com

www.mouser.com

At the time, Mouser sold the switch as multiple components - so you could pick and choose options , where Digikey sold the complete switch. I ordered from Mouser - a couple of switch bodies and different lens /light comboz since I couldn't make up my mind.

mackin
02-09-2003, 16:43
Thanks.....

I ordered a Mouser catalog for future ref....

MAC smile.gif

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>