PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Engine

BobW
02-01-2003, 23:10
How do you wash your engine. After reading the note on the cover of the Bosch electronics "Don't Pressure Wash" I wondering about the best way to go - I imagine the contents of the box are not cheap to replace smile.gif

I usually spray my engine with Simple Green and then wash off with a regular hose nozzle. Is the spray to much for the Bosch?

Thanks

jbplock
02-02-2003, 05:39
Bob,
Seems like it should be ok to wash the Dmax with simple green and a hose as long you cover the Bosch Electronics with a plastic (Wal-Mart) bag. I use simple green and a hose to clean the engines on my vehicles but I also cover the alternator and blow dry with compressed air. I haven't washed my Dmax yet (it's been too cold here) but since you've pointed out the caution on the Bosch I'll be careful to cover it too.

(A friend of mine once washed pressure washed the 350 in his conversion van. When he was done it wouldn't start and he ended up replacing the ECM)

deadlyman
02-03-2003, 04:46
Hey stop do not use simple green or any other acid based cleaner as it will turn the valve covers white and the alternater white looks like crap did that to mine.

mackin
02-03-2003, 05:23
I clean my engine all the time,just did it....Regular garden hose and soap and water ,rinse and blow dry......

Just like the beauty parlor!!!!! Keep up on it and that is all it will take to keep it MDRAG spark'lin clean....

MAC :D :D :D

jbplock
02-03-2003, 06:05
deadlyman,

Did you use simple green? I have used it on my Malibu's 3.1L which has an aluminum intake manifold and valve covers. I don't seem to have the problem you described. I know SuperClean will stain aluminum castings. Thanks for the tip though... I'll be careful the first time I clean my Dmax (almost at 5kmi now).
smile.gif

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

MaxACL
02-03-2003, 17:15
deadlyman
If not Simple Green then what? I figured on a can of engine foam.

Any ideas on a spray cleaner for the underneath?

Mike

SoCalDMAX
02-03-2003, 17:50
I'd recommend a feather duster or damp cloth when the engine is cold. Then wipe down with a clean rag and Pledge to keep the dust from building up. It will also keep the plastic shiny.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, let your wife/girlfriend see you doing this domesticated stuff. Take a wild guess who they'll try to stick with the housekeeping.... ;)

Regards, Steve

mackin
02-03-2003, 18:50
Oh ya now that brings back a memory......SCD and his LIL MAID'S Out fit rings a bell .....

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-03-2003, 18:54
I spent 5 hours on Saturday with the powerwasher and Simple Green.

I have used it for years without any problem with aluminum.

The besy way to keep the under carriage clean is to pressure wash it. Mine is a variable pressure with chemical injection.

I also got my ( tought I ruined 'em) M&T Classic Aluminum rims looking like brand new :D

The good old WD40 and 0000 steel wool worked awesome. I also picked up some Mothers Aluminum Polish to get the shine back!!

Just like new ;)

GMC :D

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

hickcox
02-04-2003, 10:19
I been leaving my engine running when I go to the quarter wash and just blast it clean without directly spraying the Bosch unit.

After it's been washed and rinsed I drive it home and spray down the entire engine compartment with a half a can of WD40.

The engine compartment still looks like the day I picked it up two years ago. Not a lick of surface rust or discoloration anywhere!

GMCTRUCK
02-04-2003, 12:28
Just so we're all on the same page, these are trucks we're talking about right? Anyhow the safest bet would be to use the same soap and water you use on the outside of the truck. I can't imagine any of the trucks you guys are talking about getting grungy enough under the hood to need Simplegreen or Super Clean. Cover everything you don't want wet and run the engine after to help evaporate water off. WD is always a good idea also. I wash the engine and WD it first then close the hood and wash the rest of the truck. Otherwise you get WD on the fenders and windshield.

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
02-04-2003, 15:19
Deadlyman,

Simple Green is not an acid cleaner, it is caustic. Yes, it can stain or blacken Aluminum if used at high concentrations, but if used at low percentages and rinsed off quickly you should be ok. Personally I do not recommend the use of caustic cleaners or any cleaner with potassium or sodium hydroxide (potash) in them for engine cleaning, because of the potential staining of aluminum.

Caustic raw materials are used because they are very aggressive and will clean quickly, but are not safe on non-ferrous or soft materials.

If you clean you engine compartment regularly, mild soap and water should do the trick, then spray with your favorate shine material. For the tough jobs use an alkaline solution with NO CAUSTIC.

I'm not a chemist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night or was that a Motel 8.

Happy Cleaning!!

Mike

mackin
02-04-2003, 16:34
Wd-40 works good and looks great.....But I didn't mention cause it will attract dirt and dust.....Caution to the wind in the winter when it may be undesirable till spring to apply..... ;)

txguppy
02-06-2003, 06:45
IMHO, I recommend LPS #1 Greaseless Lubricant for engine components. Works GREAT, Less Sticking Dirt.

txguppy