PDA

View Full Version : 4" Exhaust noise

huntindog
02-01-2003, 19:50
Who makes the quietest 4" exhaust?
I am going to stay stock at first, but If I have too will upgrade.......Noise will be a very important factor in my choice.
In my pony car days Quiet/Fast was cool in my circle of friends.
Getting ready for the JUICE!!!

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: huntindog ]</p>

DMAXDiva
02-01-2003, 22:51
huntindog:

I have a couple of audio clips of the Banks Monster exhaust if you'd like to "ear test" it...not obnoxious at all. I really like it.

DMD

DMAXED
02-01-2003, 23:18
huntindog
I all so went with the banks system and it sounds great. at idle you almost cant tell the difference from stock but when you get on it you can hear it a little more still not to loud . the wife has not noticed the new system yet it's been on for four mounth now.

good luck
TOM

Kent Tuttle
02-02-2003, 09:47
I've had Kennedy's exhaust system on for about a week now. Only a slight noise increse at idle and lower speeds in the cab. At highway speeds can't hardly tell. If you are standing out side the truck you can tell something is different. All in all it sounds great, I'm glad I made the change! John has a video clip on his web site where you can hear it.

mark45678
02-02-2003, 19:54
I have had a JK exhaust on mine for over a year,Many of my buddys have commented that it sounds like it has a big block gas motor..... I know you can some noise out of it when your on it hard but in the truck is VERY easy on the ears...

TN farmer
02-02-2003, 21:18
huntindog,

I spoke with a salesman for Bully Dog on the phone and he said their system comes with two choices for a muffler. The first is a 6" around that can be turned in either direction for the amount of volume you want (most common). The other muffler was 8" around and much quieter. If you would like name and number let me know. Robert

fredw
02-02-2003, 22:41
tn farmer: i wish i seen your post sooner like last week, i installed a 4 " dino-max system, seams a lot louder threw the gears, a bit louder in od, main reason i bought the max was for its quietness

huntindog
02-03-2003, 08:01
Thanks to everyones responses so far.
I have the audio clip of the Banks from
DMAXDiva and the one from Kennedys site.
I know that this is a far from scientific comparison, but so far I like the Banks sound better..
I also checked out the Bullydog website,,,,there was no mention there of different mufflers.
All of the systems I've looked at have a small muffler.
Although I am not a sound engineer by any means, it would seem to me that a large muffler could have as good a flow as a small one and be quieter.
There is a lot of room for a large muffler on our trucks
If anyone has audio clips of other exhausts, I would like to hear them, so I can continue my unscientific "tests"
Does anyone have the Gibson or ATS system?

TN farmer
02-03-2003, 13:17
huntindog,

I spoke to Doug at advanced diesel technologies about the Bully Dog system. Mine will not be in untill later this week so I am not sure what it will sound like untill then. Doug was telling me about the two mufflers and gave me a GREAT price on the system. His number is 724-335-6167 he will be glad to talk to you about your truck. The web address is www.smokindiesel.com

Hope this helps, Robert