PDA

View Full Version : Update on Marine DB2 install

DickWells
11-05-2004, 20:10
Wow. Almost 2000 posts since my last one over two months ago!
Got 9000+ miles on the mechanical pump, now. Towed from VT. to Or. the long way, and chased deer for a month there. Oh dear, no deer. Left Or. a week ago, and am in Ol Miss, now.
Best part of all this is, that I haven't had one hiccup since leaving home. Used to have my heart in my throat most of the time, just waiting for the next skip, or stall. Always managed to get me home, but no confidence.
Starts are instantainious, cold or hot. Lots of white smoke when cold. Much more at altitude than down low, though. No, I never did hook up the fast idle solenoid. Don't need it. Just keep it up around 1000 rpm's for 5 seconds, then take my foot off and let it warm up for a couple of minutes.
Mileage? We're averaging right around 13.6 for the whole 9000, towing. Have gotten as low as 11, and as high as 15+.
The shifting is fine. I lift my foot at around 21 mph on a flat, or slight up-grade and do it again at a little over 30. If I'm hauling uphill at the start, I stay in it up to about 2400 rpm. I try to remember to take it out of Tork-Lock if I'm going below 35 mph, but it seems to go OK if I forget. I simply get a slight jolt when it shifts into lock-up at 35 when I do forget. Haven't had any problems with my TPS, or VSSB. I have my throttle cable and TPS hooked together on two matching OEM pivots, through a rocker shaft that incorporates a roller that I made out of a junk piece of 30-06 barrel! Guess I was lucky that It's a 95, and not some other years. The shifting is just fine.
I get more diesel rattle than I used to, especially in the idle to 1800 range, which is where I do 99% of my running. I can pull most 6% grades at 60 mph at 1800 and get a constant 5-7 lb boost without slowing, or shifting out of 4th lock-up. I realize that my combined weight of a little over 15000 isn't what a lot of the guys are pulling, but this thing with the DB2 has kept such a grin on my face for so long that my lips are cracked in the corners.
Hope it keeps up.
I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone might have, but don't expect a real technical answer. I'm just an old farm boy from the sticks, with too many fingers. Ain't got nothin that ain't modified. Even got a utility trailer that has a modified Mossberg shotgun bolt to hold the tilt bed locked down! Built me a Siamese Mauser with a piece of Oregon Mertyl on it in 45-70 that gives me just over 2200 fps with a 400 gr Speer, too. Whoops, wrong Page.
Love my 6.5, but wish it was an in-line 5.9 with a boxy valve cover.
Dick Wells

CareyWeber
11-06-2004, 08:09
Originally posted by Dick Wells:
Even got a utility trailer that has a modified Mossberg shotgun bolt to hold the tilt bed locked down! Built me a Siamese Mauser with a piece of Oregon Mertyl on it in 45-70 that gives me just over 2200 fps with a 400 gr Speer, too. Whoops, wrong Page.
Love my 6.5, but wish it was an in-line 5.9 with a boxy valve cover.
Dick Wells Dick it's great to hear about your truck/pump. :D

What page do you go to about hunting/handloading?

Carey

DickWells
11-08-2004, 18:16
HiCarey: Don't really know about a gun page, but I'll bet my son does. I'll have to ask him this week-end, or maybe if I wake up real early, and can't go back to sleep. It's the old "9 at night, till 6:00 in the morning" thing, with a cell phone as my only means of communicating.
I'm in Florida, now, and he's in Vermont.
We can write through E-mail, if you'd like. My address is dwells@pshift.com. Get off a note with your address if you're interested.
I took the early buy-out from Big Blue in 91, and started a gun shop as a retirement job. Did that for 11 years, until my wife retired, and then retired for the second time. Got a lot of reference material at home, and a lot of stories still kicking around in the old head. Be glad to swap some info with anyone.
I seem to remember that he (son) sent me a post from some gun page

DickWells
11-08-2004, 19:03
Hi again: Got shut down for the second time tonight! Some SHELL thing, or other. Took the time to install the Windows firewall. Hope it works.
Anyway, I seem to remember a post, like, "The 38-55 is Back", or something. I'll let you know what the page was.
I'll get off of here, and hope I've left room for guys to talk Diesel.
Dick

rjwest
11-29-2004, 13:36
Life is better after BIG BLUE, Back from month in Maine.

Poughkeepsie class of 93,

Bobbie Martin
11-29-2004, 18:57
Hi,
The shifting you describe is probably as good a you will get using the modified APP method. I see you are in Florida, if you get near Jacksonville, contact me, I would like to see your truck and show you our DB2 equipped Sub.

Marty Lau
11-30-2004, 09:08
Hey Dick;
Sorry you didn't get any Deer you should have come to Montana for that. Weekend before Thanksgiving wife and I went out and filled 3 deer tags. Then Friday after Thanksgiving took out a guy my wife works with and he filled 3 deer tags in one day. We have way more deer than people. Oh yeah 7mm RemMag was rifle of choice for us.

mklein
11-30-2004, 13:43
Dick, I have a 1995 suburban that I converted from a BBC gasser to a 6.5 mechanical. For the transmission I used a GM T32 transmission controller and a pump mounted throttle position sensor. That part of the conversion has worked out pretty well, and might be a solution to your shifting if you are looking to make a change. Just thought I would throw that out for you.