PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter change

Impala driver 2
05-19-2005, 05:43
I am new to the Diesel Page and also a new first time diesel owner. 2005 Duramax, 2500HD, crew cab, 4X4, short bed 2.5K miles. So far I LOVE it; put on the cruise and go. All those years pulling with underpowered and over loaded trucks are finally over for me.

Have a question that most of you here can probably do blindfolded and I can not seem to find on this site. If it is on this site please point the way.

What are the steps on changing out the fuel filter on my truck?

What brand fuel filter do you suggest I use?

Is NAPA OK?

Thank you for your help.
Larry

More Power
05-19-2005, 07:43
Larry,

Welcome to the BB! Have a look at the Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/dmaxfuelfilt.htm) article we produced a while back.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MP

Kennedy
05-19-2005, 07:54
The first filter change is the most important in my opinion. There is a lot of potential for dirt (static attraction and mfg debris) in the tank, lines etc. At 3k my first LLY filter looked as bad as many 7-10k filters.

Regardless of what is inked on the outside, all filters (at this time) are made by the same mfr. the only difference being some have the old single layer media units at discount prices.

Impala driver 2
05-19-2005, 12:25
Does any one know the parts numbers for the new style double filter fuel filter from NAPA?

This is so I won't get sold an old single style.

Thanks
Larry

bobo
05-20-2005, 18:55
I yanked the front tire off and reached up behind the fender well liner. It worked well.

Madd Max
05-20-2005, 18:57
Impala driver 2,

I just bought one a few hours ago, the number for the dual media filter is 3910 Cost me $44.08 tax inc. The number for the single media filter is or was 3810. You can find it for a better price from some of the vendors on this site. I bought this one only because my truck started acting up today. I guess I should stock up.

Dennis

Seth McKinney
05-21-2005, 17:15
Removing the front fender with a flathead helped tremendously. It will take about 20 min. (if that) if you do it that way. Good luck. Diesel will spill if you aren't careful. It did me -- bad...

Impala driver 2
05-23-2005, 07:44
Thanks to all that responded. Looks like I will be changing the fuel filter this coming up weekend.

Larry

Kennedy
05-23-2005, 08:24
I have a can of CRC spray dielectric grease that I use to lube the pins on the fasteners. They pull out much easier the second time around.

TRPSHOOT
05-23-2005, 13:43
I've got an '03 extended cab, I've changed the fuel filter twice now and am fortunate that my air conditioner hose moves about 1/2" to allow me to take the filter off. I put a small pan below the filter to catch any spills. It takes longer to clean my wrench up put the tools away then to change the filter. I think Dmaxtech posted it this way, well whoever did, it works for me and I thank them.

Turbo Al
05-28-2005, 19:59
Tip from someone else on the forum -- I can't remember who.
I put a large zip lock freezer bag around the filter and when I unscrew it all the fuel ends up in the bag.
Al

CALIMAX
05-29-2005, 05:19
My local NAPA store is having a 40% off filter sale this weekend. I bought the 3910 fuel filter for $21. Actually I bought 5 of them and some air filters.

socaltoolguy
06-04-2005, 16:39
anybody that is having a problem removing the plastic push pins there is a new tool out by KD called a push pin pliers. About $25.00.

RichC
06-04-2005, 16:48
I removed my push pins and threw them in the trash where they should have been to start with. :mad: I then installed 1/4" nutserts in the fender panel. Now all I need to remove the inner fender is a 7/16" socket and my battery drill. 5 minutes and its done. :D