PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control kicking out

30cal4me
05-14-2005, 14:33
Our truck(see sig) has been kicking out of cruise control when we hit a sharp bump as in a railway crossing or a bad transition between pavement patch jobs. Havn't taken to dealer yeat but will when I get recall notice on middle rear seatbelt problem.

I was wondering if others were seeing this with their trucks and what fix/fixes were done?

I hope I don't get the usual "it's normal" answer from the dealer. I took my 13 year old Buick Skylark over the same railway tracks and it's cruise didn't kick out.

Chevy2DMAX
05-15-2005, 02:58
That can sometimes be caused by the brake light switch being too "tight".

Kennedy
05-15-2005, 09:27
I've had mine drop out when hitting the resume button, and I believe there have been others who have had their stalks replaced. I know White Truck did some investigation on Buck's 2001 for dropping off on resume.

White Truck
05-16-2005, 17:19
I have only had a small amount that were actually cruise control problems. I mention this as there are DTC's that will prevent or cause the cruise to quit. That being said, Buck had the problem only in the winter, and from his astute observations, we determined that anytime the switch was cold, the cruise didn't work. The stalk (multifunction switch) has been the only problem with these that I have experienced. Chevy2DMAX mentioned the brake switch, these used to be a very common problem with the old adjustable style, but since going to the non adjustable type in '94, there have been very few problems with the switch.
The fact that yours quits on sharp bumps certainly suggests a connection or switch issue. One other observation, make sure your foot is not close to the pedal. A good bump may cause your foot to tap the pedal inadvertently. You may have your feet in a slightly different spot in the car, and it is not problem with that. It surprises people sometimes when I point out something like this; we all have habits that we don't think about until somebody else notices them.

mdadgar
05-16-2005, 19:38
Originally posted by kennedy:
I've had mine drop out when hitting the resume button, and I believe there have been others who have had their stalks replaced. I know White Truck did some investigation on Buck's 2001 for dropping off on resume. Mine does this, too. Really annoying!

- Mark

30cal4me
05-17-2005, 01:06
White Truck,

Thanks for the help. The first 2 times it kicked out in the first week of owning it I couldn't be sure it wasn't my foot. But now when I use cruise and suspect there is a problem I keep my feet well away(tucked right back to the seat).

Brad Pelot
05-17-2005, 05:57
Mine drops off on resume occasionally as well.

DmaxMaverick
05-17-2005, 07:47
Mine does it. Has since as long as I can remember, probably about a month or two after new. Just never made the priority list high enough to get it fixed under warranty, now it's too late unless I want to pay a $100 deductible on the ext. warr. I may have it replaced before my warr. expires in Nov.

Only happens when resume is pushed, and the speed memory is lost (like with a key cycle), requiring the set button to be pushed to set cruise speed again. I suspect it is the "cruise power on" slider switch inside the stalk that's breaking contact. Only happens when the in-cab temp is low, usually when it's about 60

copperhead
05-18-2005, 09:50
Same for me, mine kicks off on resume only and only when it is cool outside. I would say 50 or lower.