PDA

View Full Version : duramax,s burning to the ground?

dmax_3500
05-10-2005, 18:39
i go to the insurance auctions,and pick up and drop off cars and trucks,, for the last 3-4 years ive seen about 20 duramax trucks that have caught fire and burned,also went online and checked back all over the country at other auctions and have found an other 25-50 trucks,[hard to tell no photos just that they had fires]some look like electric fires,but most look like fuel fires ,could there be a problum???, could this be from leaking or loose engine fuel lines going from fuel rails to injectors or something were not being told

More Power
05-11-2005, 07:14
Back in the 80's I was visiting a local garage who's owner was a friend of mine. In his shop at the time was a fairly new 6.2L diesel Suburban that was fuel saturated on one side of the engine compartment and all under the vehicle.

Apparently a fuel return hose on the #8 cylinder had come off, and fuel had been drizzling out for more than 100 miles. The fuel leak was located so it ran down the exhaust manifold and onto the exhaust header pipe.

Enough fuel had leaked out during the preceding 100 miles that it had completely dissolved the undecoating beneath most areas of the Suburban.

There was no fire.

Diesel fuel is a lot more safe than gasoline.

MP

mark421
05-11-2005, 08:50
I would suspect that many of these fires are paper fires. A person takes their payment book, dips it in diesel fuel, lights, and sticks under the hood. For some reason, they then forget the phone number for 911, at least until things are getting really toasty. They do however, remember the phone number of their insurance agent. Fortunately, they have comprehensive insurance which should cover the bank. GM really should look closely into the cause of these fires.

DmaxMaverick
05-11-2005, 12:44
There have been several reports (here and elsewhere) of engine comartment fires (or near fires) caused by the engine heater power cord. At least one member here had this happen. There was also a member here with what appeared to be an under-hood fuse box fire. He posted with some pic's. Try a search of past posts. IIRC, the fuse box fire was only about a month ago, or so.

Turbo Al
05-12-2005, 09:02
There was one up here last month -- fire in engine compartment -- but I personally didn't see it or find out the cause.

dmax_3500
05-13-2005, 16:43
yes , it could have been from the engine block heater cords, just think there had to be other things also, deisel may be harder to start but it burns as good as gas,so does engine oil,last month here a guy said he was driving down the road and lost power when he pulled off the road flames were coming out from under the hood,pics look like electric fire to me,,also ford is having a problum with trucks cruise control boxes staying on and burning to the ground, im just trying to see if anybody has seen these things too

royalglen
05-13-2005, 17:45
It could easily be fuse box overheating because of to small fuses they are using now.I just got finished repairing my sunroof (factory installed 05). The problem was a poor contact at the fuse. I tested fuse and found no life but I wiggled the fuse and it had current!!Sunroof works good. What will these fuse boxes be like with some age on them.Are they built in China??? I think the small contact surface on the small fuses to carry 25amps.is not sufficient and it arcs and corrodes then won`t make good contact and starts to over heat.Any ideas????

gbeaird
05-20-2005, 14:36
Coat the tips with dielectric grease? At least that would help cut down on the corrosion.

Gene Beaird
'02 GMC 2500HD D/A
Pearland, Texas