PDA

View Full Version : Predator Questions

AlanL
05-23-2003, 09:26
I've done a search and read through lots of the topics regarding the predator.

One recurring theme has been that certain features like the tire size recalibration have not been included yet, etc..

I'm curious as to whether on not anyone on the forum has the latest version, which proportedly has this feature included.

Also, I've done some reading about both the Juice and the predator. If I understand correctly, the Juice is a pulse and timing based product that speaks microcode to the factory programming to achieve its changes. An input translator of sorts.

The predator appears to achieve its goals by taking the factory inputs from the sensors, etc... and achieving the change in performance through the updated programming that is loaded into the computer. Is the predator also a pulse and timing based device? I couldn't find any info on this.

I'm looking for a little more power while towing and around town, so I'm trying to decide which to go with. I have factory size tires on the truck now, but when these are used up, I'd like to go bigger. The tire size compensation of the predator makes it the more attractive alternative at this point, but only if its really available and works.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Al

Hound
05-23-2003, 09:54
Al,

V1.04 does include the correction for tire size changes. My speedo is right on as verified by the local PD radar speed sign and with a GPS.

It also has some REALLY nice diagnostic capabilities built in.

I believe, could be wrong tho, that you are correct that the Predator is a pulse and timing program. It is updated programming that is uploaded to the factory computer. James will maybe chime in here if I'm wrong on this.

Overall I like it very much for the power upgrades and diagnostic capabilities. smile.gif

sdaver
05-23-2003, 10:13
I have both and hound your right on track :D dave

DinoMax
05-23-2003, 13:40
Alan, I have been running the Predator about 2 months now. I am very happy with it so far. It does have the tire/speedo calibration (as long as it is version 1.04), 5 programming "tune" levels from 0 to 100HP, as well as the capability of monitoring live data from you truck and clearing SES lights/codes (like a scan tool). Best of all, it is super simple to use. I felt it was worth the $$ just for the calibration and scan, the 100 extra ponies were just a bonus. Well, not really a bonus, these 315/75/16 tires are getting expensive on the rear! Anyway, I think you would be happy with a Predator, but be careful about running the higher tunes ( 85/100HP) without at least some exhaust mods, and probably some gauges. Good Luck

WhiteDuramax
05-23-2003, 15:47
I also just got a Predator and it works pretty good, tire size calibration is easy and works good. Also nice for Diagnostics. I like the power increase ;) , It is worth the money. I did have one minor problem with it at 100hp it would sometimes freeze the pedal and not let it go any faster, but would come right back, kind of wierd.

RWTD
05-23-2003, 17:35
Al, hello fine sir, I am James, and I appreciate you chiming in concerning the DiabloSport Predator. I will answer your questions below:

> I'm curious as to whether on not anyone on the
> forum has the latest version, which
> proportedly has this feature included.

This has been a standard feature since v1.03, although v1.04 was released 1 week after v1.03, which included 5 tune levels, and an idle update for 02 and 03 vehicles.

> The predator appears to achieve its goals by
> taking the factory inputs from the sensors,
> etc... and achieving the change in performance
> through the updated programming that is loaded
> into the computer. Is the predator also a
> pulse and timing based device? I couldn't find
> any info on this.

You are correct in that the Predator does indeed adjust the pulse and timing calibrations on the pcm. The Predator is a "flash" tuning device which actually changes the factory calibration, of course after backing it up first, directly on the pcm. This method of "flashing" is exactly how the GM programs the pcm.

> I have factory size tires on the truck now,
> but when these are used up, I'd like to go
> bigger. The tire size compensation of the
> predator makes it the more attractive
> alternative at this point, but only if its
> really available and works.

The tire adjustment option works perfectly, and is so accurate your speedo will be dead on with a tire change! Having this feature is one of the many bonuses of the Predator, aside from the axle calibration (if you should ever change that as well), and the ability to raise the speed limiter to 125 on your vehicle. Plus, I shouldn't forget the diagnostics that several mentioned above (over 100 monitored areas in live data format).

> Thanks for any info you can provide

And I thank you as well! If you should need anything whatsoever, have any other questions or concerns, or would just like to talk, please shoot me an email to sales@runninwiththedevil.com with your contact # and I will happily call you at your convenience.

>I did have one minor problem with it at 100hp
> it would sometimes freeze the pedal and not
> let it go any faster, but would come right
> back, kind of wierd.

WhiteDuramax, the problem you are experiencing is the infamous "limp mode". Are you getting any overboost or turbo codes? P0234 or P0236? Lemme know, please! We've been working on that fix and feel we have it figured out, and I will report back next week sometime.

Have a great weekend!

Kind Regards...

[ 05-23-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

WhiteDuramax
05-23-2003, 21:48
RWTD,
Yes I did get an overboost code one time when it did that. It did it about 4 times on the interstate. Also, I hooked up our gooseneck and I could make it do it any time I wanted, so I turned it down to the 40hp and it worked great then. Its not putting my tranny into limp, cause you have to shut down to get that out right? It will like freeze the pedal for a couple seconds and then it will come back. Really annoying when it happens on the interstate, tryin to pass. Let me know when you get a fix, and a higher hp tune. ;)

1BADDMAX
05-25-2003, 14:01
Well, that pesky credit card crawled out of my wallet and made me purchase the Predator. It should be here Tuesday. I plan on using the Predator for tire size because I plan on going up to 33's next time. I will also run the 40HP tune since I don't have any gauges. On the 40HP setting what is everyone seeing mileage wise? I still get about 18-19 in town and about 20 on the highway.

mackin
05-25-2003, 19:14
WhiteDuramax

It's not limp I'm willing to bet .... If you don't catch it you will have to pull over and stop .... It will zing into neutral ....Sounds like a program issue ....
===================

Just wondering ......
What is the policy on the upgrading of the Predator ?? Can ANY dealer upgrade ?? "Will" any dealer upgrade regardless of where purchased ?? Is customer service top notch like other performance manufactures ??

Mac

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Bush Pilot
05-26-2003, 10:04
Mackin,

I bought my unit from James at Runnin With The Devil. His service can't be beat.The upgrades are free. I don't think the dealer does the upgrade. I had to send mine to Blue Dot Performance Del Ray Beach, Florida get it upgraded to version 1.04. There was a delay it getting it back in a timely manner so James sent me a completly new unit. I am happy with the unit and the dealer so far.

RWTD
05-26-2003, 13:18
This problem few are having is the overboost and turbo codes. DiabloSport has an 01 test mule themselves that Johan, the Operations Coordinator, drives daily. He too came across the issue and feels he has completely resolved it by adjusting the sensitivity of which the codes are thrown. I'll know more this week.

Mac, the current method of updating the bios of the Predator requires the owner to send it to DiabloSport (aka Blue Dot Performance) in Delray Beach, FL. Eventually, the bios will be able to be upgraded online, but I am unsure when that method will become available.

Hope this year's Memorial Weekend and Day was safe and enjoyable for all!

Kind Regards...

[ 05-26-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

Kennedy
05-26-2003, 20:10
The over boost code was an issue early on with some 2001 trucks, even at the stock level. I would guess that if the truck were updated prior to the Predator saving it's info, the codes would not exist.

I'm not sure how it would act if you wnet back to stock, and had the dealer do the update. I would guess that it would be fine until you returned to the stock program saved on the Predator.

AlanL
05-27-2003, 06:59
Thanks for the info, James and others.

This talk of overboost codes and limp mode brings up another question.

The 'Juice' is said to monitor the Alli for slippage and throttle back performance as necessary to keep this to a minimum. Does the predator do the same thing? (Either in the same way or through some other means)

The credit card is out... but I haven't hit "submit order" yet... ;)

-Al

AlanL
05-27-2003, 07:24
One more question...

When using the tire size compensation feature, is the correction done for all components that would use the tire size (such as ABS and Alli, as well as the odo and speedo)?

Kennedy
05-27-2003, 08:12
Alan L,

No it does not. It hasn't been a threat to slip it though either.

The ABS values are NOT altered, and likely should be done with a Tech 2.

Allison programming is not directly affected by these calibrations. It just uses OSS (output shaft speed) and APP (accelerator pedal position) to map shift points.

[ 05-27-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

AlanL
06-03-2003, 11:11
According to UPS package tracking, my Predator should arrive today! :D

One thing that I haven't heard metioned here is whether or not there are separate programs for normal and tow/haul mode like with the Juice. Since this hasn't been mentioned, I'm assuming there is just one program that is used for both.

Ready to run with the Devil, :cool:
-Al

NFLDMAX
06-03-2003, 12:29
Just one program, I wish it had the capability of two like the juice