PDA

View Full Version : raised fuel rail pressure

SDakDmax
05-03-2005, 17:33
I was looking at the Superchips programer. I e-mailed them and asked if it raises the fuel rail pressures, they said yes . Isn't it better not to do that? I like the idea of a programer to read trouble codes etc. I'm looking for modest h.p. gain.The Edge EZ looks like what I would like but it doesn't read codes etc. Do all programmers raise fuel rail pressures? Thanks for any input.. smile.gif

bobo
05-04-2005, 04:00
I am surprised the Superchips raises the fuel rail psi. I didn't think any of the handheld units did that.

No, not all programmers raise the fuel rail psi. (EDGE DOES NOT) I do know the Banks programmer does raise the fuel rail psi. They have done a lot of research on the fuel rail psi and they don't feel it will compromise anything as long as the program stays within certain limits they set from R&D. Personally, I'd rather not deal with adding fuel rail psi to my truck. I know I can get a lot of power in injector timing and duration. I went that route and I am not disappointed.

Kennedy
05-04-2005, 07:05
The Diablo Predator or Quadzilla Stealth tuners will do what you want and then some.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/programmers.htm

bobo
05-04-2005, 14:49
Kennedy,

Do u know if the Superchips does increase fuel rail psi or if the guy was feeding him a line? Does Hypertech raise rail psi? I know Predator don't and Edge don't. My brother has a Hypertech for his 05 dually. He liked it, but when I let him ride in my truck he didn't like the Hypertech anymore!! If you seen the look on his face!! :eek: And that was when I only had Predator 65 hp tune in it.

madmatt
05-04-2005, 17:46
personally, I'd stay away from pressure boxes excepet for comp use only. I've replaced 5 fuel rails and all of them had pressure boxes installed. just my opinion though. I know of many people running them w/ no problems as well, so........ do what you wish.

Kennedy
05-05-2005, 04:36
Not sure what Superchips and Hypertech do with the rail psi, but it wouldn't surprise me.

FWIW, the Hypertech made LESS power than stock set to level 1. Most of the Hypertech HP gain (peak to peak) is 100-150rpm higher than the 3,000 RPM peak for the OE program.

I'm working on a dyno gallery project, but need to get my dyno PC back on the network here first...

SDakDmax
05-05-2005, 16:11
Thanks for the great information .. I was on the superchips website and clicked on " ask us a question" I asked "does the superchip raise fuel rail pressure" their answer was short,, "yes it does.".. I didn't ask how much, but it kind of turned me off to them. Thanks again for the info..

More Power
05-10-2005, 18:44
One of the very first Duramax performance products was called "Power Play", and was sold by BullyDog. It was simply a fuel rail pressure device. Soon after release we started hearing about fuel leaks. Seemed to me there was a connection.

Then VanAaken released a module, much like what they have now, except it also added rail pressure. We turned down two different product reviews on this one because I wasn't convinced rail pressure increases was the way to go, and I wouldn't put one on my truck.

The current VanAaken does not raise fuel rail pressure, as far as I know.

I spoke with the folks at BD in 2001 about fuel rail pressure boxes, and was told GM supposedly designed the rail and injection system to a max 40,000-psi. The various power products operated well below this level, but still.... the leaks seemed to be an issue. Apparently the 40K wasn't all that solid.

I would ask the various vendors who offer pressure boxes or programs what pressure they raise the rail pressure to..... If it's only a little, there might be less risk than with the early pressure boxes.

MP

BigO
05-11-2005, 06:43
I was told our pressure will max out at 25,000 becuase the O rings will not with stand any more.

Kennedy
05-11-2005, 06:52
Most of these leaks were the rail psi sensor which was simply tightened in many cases though GM prescribed replacing the entire function block. The later sensors had a revised TQ spec as I understand.

With that out of the way, there is still the safety relief valve. As I understand, this unit is not designed to handle repeated activation which can occur if the operating pressure is increased substantially.

Pressure boxes are so-so. They do make power, but it is a more linear power where a strong pulse type box will pick up the TQ line at a much lower RPM and is much better at towing and more responsive.

madmatt
05-11-2005, 18:04
all the fuel pressure sensors i've installed were only offered from GM as an assembly w/ the block and sensor. Man, those things are a pain :mad: !

Kennedy
05-11-2005, 19:20
My dealer cheated and just tightened them with great success. Primarily out of necessity rather than wait for parts...

BMDMAX
05-12-2005, 04:52
I have never run a pressure unit on my truck and don't plan to do so. The gains are not worth the risk IMHO.

Like JK said there is plenty from pulse modulation anyway. :D

madmatt
05-12-2005, 13:11
I though the stealth and predator were both pressure raising programs.

SDakDmax
05-12-2005, 15:21
I thought I should give Superchips a chance to tell what pressure it raised to, in case it was just minor. I asked "what pressure does it raise it to?". Their answer was " That information is proprietary to our product" :confused:

jbplock
05-12-2005, 15:25
A quote from the DiabloSport Predator website (http://www.diablosport.com/U7180.php)...

" What is the Duramax Predator?
The Predator for 2001-2004 Duramax (part no. U7180) The Duramax Predator is a state-of-the art high performance tuning flash programmer, which advances the injection timing, optimizes the injection pulse width. Unlike other "tuners", DiabloSport

Kennedy
05-13-2005, 05:37
Some of your race tuners ahve been adding a bit of psi as well, but the difference is, they are not using pressure as their sole source of power gain and therefore typically NOT increasing it to the point of stroking the relief valve.

70-90, even 100+HP in some cases can be had with psi increase, but it's not as safe, and nowhere near as totquey...

MBurnett
08-16-2005, 04:36
Originally posted by C. Schroeder:
I was looking at the Superchips programer. I e-mailed them and asked if it raises the fuel rail pressures, they said yes . Isn't it better not to do that? I like the idea of a programer to read trouble codes etc. I'm looking for modest h.p. gain.The Edge EZ looks like what I would like but it doesn't read codes etc. Do all programmers raise fuel rail pressures? Thanks for any input.. smile.gif To C Schroeder, It appears that you were misinformed. On the Duramax Diesel, both the LB7 & LLY the fuel rail pressure is not increased by the Superchips tuner. These setting are left at stock settings.

Jim Brzozowski
08-16-2005, 08:25
Hey guys watch out if someone says they are using 40,000 psi rail pressure. Normal corbon steel without some special treatments will start to yield at 38,000 psi. I would not like that under my hood!