PDA

View Full Version : What part is located under alternater?

airtech
03-03-2005, 16:12
Can anyone tell me what the part is directly under the alternater. Is it a air pump and what does it do?
Its on a 97 k2500.
Thanks for any info.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
03-03-2005, 16:28
I believe that would be your vacuum pump. It provides vacuum to operate the waste gate on your turbo. Someday I will get tired of the noise mine is making and I'll replace it.

Dvldog 8793
03-03-2005, 16:28
Howdy
That's the vac pump. Haveing a turbo Diesel means not having any vacumn to operate typical automotive components. I think your truck needs vac to operate the climate controlls and the turbo boost control. My truck only needed it to run the turbo so I switched to a mechanical control and ditched the pump.
Hope this helps
L8r
Conley

airtech
03-03-2005, 17:55
I noticed mine not spinning today.My truck seems to run good.So do I need to fix it?
Thanks for the replys.

Dvldog 8793
03-03-2005, 18:25
If your vac pump is not spinning then your belt is going to smoke pretty soon if not already. If your climate controls still work without the vac pump then I would loose the pump and put in a turbomaster boost control. My 1999 truck only used 2 vac lines, one from the pump to a sender and then back over to the boost control. The Turbomaster is mechanical and uses a spring to control boost and seems to work great. Plus you dont have to buy the new vac pump and it probably took 5-7hp to run that pump and every little bit helps. Bill Heath has all the info that you would need at Heath Diesel.
Hope this helps.....
L8r
Conley

airtech
03-03-2005, 18:55
Dvldog,thanks for replys,
I noticed my belt is shiny on the top side.It looks like the belt just lays on top of the pully and turns it.Is this correct? And if I did away with the pump would I need to get a differnt size belt? I went to search for some answers on this topic and learned a little bit more. Read somewhere about a turbomaster,is this right?
Thanks

ace58
03-03-2005, 19:22
You will need a smaller belt. I eliminated mine because my new turbo had no wastegate to control. It was a "2 bird, 1 stone" deal eliminating the noisy vacuum pump and the worn turbo.

airtech
03-03-2005, 19:27
How would i find out what size belt to put on?

Hye
03-03-2005, 19:30
When your belt breaks, your alternator, water pump, power steering and power brakes will quit working.

There is a link to Heath Diesel Power in the Advertiser's Section.

Based on what I read here, I wish I'd've used a Turbo Master instead of replacing my vacuum pump, twice.

GMC Hauler
03-03-2005, 21:01
The size belt you need is 20mm shorter than stock.

Dvldog 8793
03-04-2005, 04:09
Howdy
I used a 99.5 inch belt. However belt size will vary from year to year and truck to truck with different options. And you need to make sure that you don't need vac for anything else, I'm not sure when they stopped using it top control the climate controls.
L8r
Conley

airtech
03-04-2005, 04:58
I know this is a silly question but is it possable that my pump have been disconnected. After looking at it, the belt does not go around the pulley,it just touchs the top of it.Is the belt suppose to go around it like a normal pulley does? The pulley is smooth and don't have groves in it for the serpenetine belt to fit in.
Thanks again for any info.

Dvldog 8793
03-04-2005, 06:37
Howdy
That is the correct route for the belt. The vac pump runs off the back of the belt. If the pump is froze up and not turning then heat from friction will build up in the belt and eventually shred it leaving you stranded. Someplace in your engine compartment you should have a sticker that shows the proper routing of the belt. It should be in a VERY visiable place, like right on the front/top of the radiator or fan shroud. There will be one plastic hose that comes off the pump. These plastic lines get brittle with age so be carefull with it if you plan on keeping a pump on your engine.
Conley

Phil Holmen
03-04-2005, 09:10
I have the vaccum pump removed on my truck and run with the belt off of a 1993 6.5L TD but my accessory set up is a little different than yours... I am not sure if it would work for you..

airtech
03-04-2005, 10:41
So what your saying is that I have two choices.
1. Replace the pump.
2. Get a mechancal valve for the turbo and do away with the pump, then get a smaller belt.
I sure do thank you guys for the input,this is helping me out a lot.

Dvldog 8793
03-04-2005, 11:42
You got it. Bill Heath at Heath Diesel can help if you go the way of no vac pump. Check in the advertisers section of this site.
L8r
Conley Janssen