PDA

View Full Version : Cat Filter problems?

Jack's Dmax
05-22-2003, 01:23
Has anyone had any issues with the Cat filter system? I plan on installing a Cat filter the same way that Ndamico did. His is installed near the fuel filler pre/oem. Any air problems?

Thanks,
Jack

ndamico
05-22-2003, 01:37
Jack,

None yet. i've probably only put about 400 miles on it so far but i don't expect any problems..

Nick

Jack's Dmax
05-22-2003, 02:13
Ndamico,

How many miles do you expect out of your Cat filter (large)? I will see if I can find out what Cat specifiys this afternoon.

Jack

ccds
05-22-2003, 05:49
Cat advised me they recommend filter changes at 250 hrs.

I was one of the first to mod the 2 micron Cat filter assembly pre OEM. I now have about 225 hrs on the CAT filter with absoultly no problems. I intend to run the filter to 250 hrs and then change it.

Take a look at my pic's if you want to see the installation.

Here is the link to the orginal info that was posted about the install:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005155

smile.gif

56Nomad
05-22-2003, 08:20
ccds,

That 250 hours gives you how many miles...... -/+ 10,000m?

Jelisfc
05-22-2003, 12:03
ccds, It looks like you are running the 0750 filter (shorter one) please confirm.

56Nomad, I have 330 hours @ 12,000 miles. That figures to 9090 miles @ 250 hrs.

ndamico
05-22-2003, 12:05
I doubt we'll find a mileage rating for the CAT filter, as all their stuff is based on hours smile.gif

Granted, our miles for hours running will differ for each of us in the way we use our trucks. for me, i go about 27.637 miles for every hour on the engine (averaged over 18k miles). that means in 250 hours i'll run about 6900 miles.

remember that the 250 hours is for a much larger OTR cat engine. i'd think that based on the amount of fuel they use vs. our dmax motor that i could go at least twice that, but only time will tell.

i'm going to run it for 15k if i can and then cut it open. next i'll run the small filter to see how many i get out of it. since my truck only has a little over 18k on it, it'll be a while...

Nick

Forced Induction
05-22-2003, 13:17
I have a question regarding a pre-oem 2 micron filter installation. I didn't want to start a new post and since I'm planning on using CAT I figured I could ask the dumb question here.
If you install a 2 micron filter pre-oem, what purpose would the OE 10 micron filter serve downsteam of the new 2 micron?? Other than an air bleed (high point), or retaining OE looks, the filter should never plug. Unless somehow, the 2 micron isn't doing its job. I know it also serves as a water seperator but that is a different issue. This may have been posted elsewhere, but I didn't have the time to search ALL the other posts. What do you pre and post oem guys think?? I also know that the concern pre-oem was early plugging, but I think with the large capacity filters that shouldn't be a problem, and the 10-15k, 250hr interval should be more than sufficient. Just my opinion. ;)

J

imported_
05-22-2003, 14:57
I am using the cat filter post oem under the air box. I have over 5000miles on it. I have air issues resulting in a small hesistation about 7 secs after start up. I have also had half a dozen starts, then stall situations that required 5-10 pumps of the primer with out bleeding.

This is what I have found.

I needed to replace the O rings on the 90 degree
elbows to ones that were

ndamico
05-22-2003, 15:30
FI - basically the OEM filter is just what you said: a primer, WIF senson, water drain, and fuel heater (i think but i might be wrong on that one).

i'm sure it will collect something eventually, but i think it will take quite a long time. i'm going to change it at 15k when i change my cat filter. when i cut it open i'll post the results.

just like skinning a cat, there are many ways to do this. if i were going post-oem i'd buy jk's kit as he has done a lot of R&D work.

i went pre-oem for 2 reasons:

1) i didn't want to mess with the plumbing around my engine as my dealer is a real PITA (main reason)

2) CAT parts are easy for me to get and i like idea of locating it in the back, plus i can eliminate two of the gm quick-disconnect fittings in the process.

3) using a CAT filter sounded cool :D :D

Jelisfc
05-22-2003, 15:34
Big Blue "I have air issues resulting in a small hesistation about 7 secs after start up." Do you still have air problems or did the o-ring change cure this?

imported_
05-22-2003, 16:20
Changing the O-rings solved my initial no start and air in fuel problems. Now I only have these at low fuel levels with hot temps.

my initial thought to all of these air problems was that it was directly related to the quality of my install. I didn't take any great care in my initial install. I should say I didn't take any "above normal" care. I feel I am very confident in most things I do on my truck and no "special" attention was taken to the filter install. After some of my problems I went back to square one and reinstalled everything. Taking great care to make sure everything was sealed and tight. This was when I found the disolved o-rings.

When I continued to have the hesitation and stall I started paying closer attention to when it was happening. Someone else (a-bear i think) on a different thread made the connection to air being produce after shut down. There was also reference to the temp of the diesel out gassing fumes. From what I have observed on my truck both of these situations may be happening.

ccds
05-22-2003, 18:13
56Nomad:

it looks like 250 hrs. is going to give me about 8200K(or 5095 miles)

Jelisfc:
I am using the smaller 1R-0750 CAT High Efficiency Fuel Filters

Here is the current information on my set up:

Installed 21 Feb. 03
current killometers traveled = 7644K
current hours on filter = 233 hrs.

I am having no issues todate with this set up.

Will change out the CAT filter at 250hrs. its a small price to pay ($18.00cdn) for clean fuel.

smile.gif

Jack's Dmax
05-23-2003, 01:25
Jelisfc,

Is your Cat installed pre or post OEM?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack's Dmax
05-23-2003, 01:57
Forced Induction,

I have researched this as much as possible and I have two reasons for going pre/OEM.

(1) I want to avoid warranty issues. I believe that if I stay up stream from the OEM filter and out of the engine compartment, that my dealer won't have any reason to reject a warranty claim.

(2) Because I have a TFI fuel tank, I know where I stand if there are any issues in this area. This filter will be a part of that system.

Jack

Jelisfc
05-23-2003, 10:09
Jack,
I haven't decided yet. I won't have time until late June to do it.

To each his own on brand. I'm going to go with the Cat strictly because the parts are readily available and if anything ever goes wrong Cat has an exceptional dealer network to get replacement parts. Filters are available anywhere and even if I need to put on a noname filter in an emergency it's better than being down. Yes I agree a spare is a good idea but stuff happens.

Pre vs Post OEM for me is more a matter of convenience than function. If the 100K warranty wasn't an issue for me I'd strip off the OEM filter and run a 5 or 10 mic pre filter and a 2 mic final. Since the OEM will stay on my truck and it is roughly 4 mic I don't think it really matters. Technically you should put the 2 mic as the final but the short Cat element is only $10.50 from Cat locally vs $14.00 plus shipping for the OEM (lowest I've found). I can afford to go pre and replace the filter every 5K. Less filtering for the OEM to do. If Cat's recommendation is 250 hrs like I said earlier it's 9K miles for me. Factor in I get 18+ mpg overall compared to 6 to 10 on a heavy truck I should be able to go longer. 2X????

I'd like to go post OEM and install over the steering pump like Lone Eagle's Racor setup. It accomplishes everything for me. Post OEM placement, easy to get to, protected from environments, plug and play no steel lines to cut. I don't want to be replacing a filter under my truck, by the side of the road in good clothes, in a snow storm. :( On the flip side if air (assuming no leaks)in a post OEM setup can't be resolved I'll go pre OEM on the frame rail. Screw the injectors. No add on equipment is that important to me to dictate purging air, possible no start when the wife is driving, or running a 1/2 tank minimum, etc.

OK enough ranting for today. Have a good Memorial weekend. :D :D