PDA

View Full Version : Transmission flooding the transfer case!

David_Jennings
01-03-2006, 16:49
I've heard of this but it has never happened to me before. Apparently, the transmission on my 1989 6.2 K2500 is pumpling fluid into the transfer case. The transmission loses fluid, and the transfer case gains fluid? Is this an easy fix or a major problem? THanks.

diesel65
01-03-2006, 16:59
Easy fix,
Drop the transfer case and replace the input shaft seal.
Try to get the seal from the dealer because it should be a double lip seal, if you get the seal from the parts house and it is a single lip then you need to install two seals.
Drive in the first one backwards (lip and spring towards the transfer case) then install the second one opposite (lip and spring facing transmission).

I forgot to mention that you need replace the gasket that is between the transfer case and the transmission adapter.
Also work with the truck nose down so fluid won't run out of the transmission when the T-case is out.

[ 01-03-2006, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: diesel65 ]

More Power
01-04-2006, 15:37
Had this happen to me in the early 90's. It developed slowly over time, till it got bad enough on a road trip to require stopping every 75 miles or so and adding ATF to the trans. Meanwhile the txfer case leaked all during the drive... Got it fixed after that last trip. Easy & cheap to fix. smile.gif

Jim