PDA

View Full Version : California Emissions

Inspector
05-18-2003, 21:02
What are the applications or differences between a Demax truck with Calif emissions equipment and one that is not so equiped? What can be expected as to performance differences? Do all the 2003 trucks have a cat or just those states that have laws requireing them? I'll start with those questions and go from there. Thanks
Denny

56Nomad
05-19-2003, 14:10
Denny,

I don't think you will find any difference in performance
between the engines with or without the cat. At last
year's rendevous, Terry Pittman who has a CA truck
(with cat/EGR) ran his truck on the dyno and had results just
as good as the non california trucks.

That being said, if you can get your truck without a
cat and EGR...... I personally think you'll have one less
thing to worry about. I drove to Texas to get my truck
without the California emissions.

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

Inspector
05-19-2003, 16:28
56:
To late I just bought a new one ton ext cab dooley from a Las Vegas dealer that was such a deal that I just couldn't pass it up. It has Cal emmisions. I was thinking that I could remove the soot trap and be happy at that. Probably disableing the egr would create some issues but don't know. It runs sooooo good.
Denny

Amianthus
05-20-2003, 09:11
Disabling the EGR will invariably cause a dtc in the computer. At least, if you're not carefull on how you disable it.

As for performance, there really won't be a huge performance differance. At least one not worth noting. The problem with EGR is that you will subject the engine to higher soot load. This leads to dirtier oil (and more frequent oil changes). Not to mention if you ever have to get into the top of the engine, it will be a mess.

I would recommend that you get a unit without an EGR system at least (if you can). A cat is a waste on a diesel that's just installed to keep the tree-huggers happy. But one can live with it if need be.

I don't want to instill paranoya in you about EGR. That's not my point. Your truck will probably run fine, if you follow the recommendations in your manual. The things above are just the problems associated with EGR. Hope that helps.

Inspector
05-21-2003, 05:02
Amianthus:
How do you "carfully disable" the egr?
Denny

Kennedy
05-21-2003, 07:56
Denny,

GM has made these things relatively "tamper proof" since 1998 on the 6.5L. I've done the 6.5's before, and did a Dmax the other day (CA truck in WI) but returned it to stock before sending him home. We ran it on the road w/o incident, but did not do a complete cool down/warm up cycle to be certain that everything was happy.

I've been trying to get my laptop to run the SPS software, but having trouble talking to the Tech 2. My PC runs it with fair stability, but the laptop is bucking. I'm planning to have Mdrag try it with his Tech 2.

If it's working by MT, we can give it a shot if you want...

Inspector
05-21-2003, 14:09
John:
If your game I am. It will be good to see you again this year.
This is a CA truck with that tree hugger stuff on it. The Cat will be out in a couple of days. Is there anything else on the engine that has to do with CA emissions?
I'm warming up my brat turning fork.
Denny

Kennedy
05-22-2003, 07:20
There is EGR crap AND a throttle plate in the intake. Not sure how much vcan physically be removed (none legally) but you'd have to be certain to plug the exhaust supply pipe to the EGR.