PDA

View Full Version : Cat Filter NOT Installed(Yet)

Victory Red
05-18-2003, 15:35
Well I found a great place for it once I modify my bracket. Should allow easy access to both filters, use of the short or tall, once the fender skirt is off(and I need to put in the rivet nuts what a PITA).

The only thing that stopped my install today was that I didn't have the 90's for the hosing. The place I got my fittings from was out of them :(

Anyhow if anyone has a part number for 90's from CAT please shoot them my way.
Also what size nut rivets are you guys using? I'm going to order some from Fastenal next time the guy visits our shop.

TIA
Victory Red

ndamico
05-18-2003, 16:51
I have some CAT 90's that i ended up not using. the head is -6 BOSS, what size do you want on the other end?

Victory Red
05-18-2003, 17:42
Ndamico,

I got the 6 male to 8 female. From the looks of your pics we got the same reusable barb fitting(Parker 30682-8-8).

ndamico
05-18-2003, 19:10
i want to say i got the 6 male to to 10 male JIC, as i used 1/2" hose with a female end on it.. it might have been 8 instead of 10 but i can't remember..

the two i have left over are -6 BOSS male to -6 JIC male..

jbplock
05-19-2003, 03:47
I used 1/4 inch Riv-nuts. The existing holes had to be opened up slightly with a drill. Watch out for the hole under the coolant tank, as there is very little clearance for the drill.

smile.gif

jbplock
05-19-2003, 05:40
Hoot,

Good idea to grind down the riv-nut under the coolant tank. I still have the plastic retainer in that location, as I was worried about wearing a hole in the tank from vibration. I was going to use a clip nut but now I think I'll use your suggestion - thanks! smile.gif

Jelisfc
05-19-2003, 08:01
Hose and fitting wise how are you guys connecting post oem? I'm probably going with the CAT setup also. I see you are using 1/2" fuel line. I figure new line off the oem outlet, second filter then a barbed connector back to the fuel line taken off on the oem filter. Is that correct?

Thanx.

Victory Red
05-19-2003, 18:41
Well I'm not installed yet, but now have the 90's I need for hosing. I had to find a Parker dealer to get the proper fittings(no one had 90's for me, not even my CAT dealer). I can snap off a few photos and e-mail them to you if you'd like until I update my web page. Basically it's an O-ring Boss fitting 6 to 8 and an 8 boss to a 1/2 barb pushlok fitting.

The part number for the 90's is 33982-8-8 SAE(JIC)37 Deg at 6.88 each. The nice thing about these versus the other one's I've seen is that they swivel at the coupler until it's tightened so you can easily run the 90 at just about any angle you need. Many others have run the 90 at the 6 to 8 boss, I'm choosing to run my at the barb.

I got the fittings from Ritter Technology. Their web site is
http://www.ritter1.com/contact.html
for a list of shops around or even online ordering.

[ 05-19-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]

[ 05-19-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]</p>

woundedbear
05-20-2003, 07:48
Victory Red,

I ended up getting by 90's from the same place on 124th just south of Capitol Drive. I, too, originally tried getting them at the CAT dealer, but was pointed in another direction.

When do you plan on doing your CAT install? I have had my kit ready to install for about 2 months, but other things around the house have kept me from getting to it.

With all of the Duramax's I see around here, it's nice to see SE WI represented on TDP.

Victory Red
05-20-2003, 16:01
Woundedbear,

I'm planning tentatively to start it Friday night and finish it saturday morning. The issue is that I have to pick up my 61" TV from the repair shop saturday at the latest(before noon). Im having a hard time with the weather/finding someone available weeknights early enough to give me hand. So I can't 'disable' my truck until after I get the TV. The 3 day weekend coming up gives me the lead time I need in case I run into issues. I'm also waiting a bit for Big Blue. He installed the CAT in the airbox location and has been having some air issues as well. Not sure yet whether it's the install or even the location(???)that could be causing air issues. Many guys have ran CAT setups pre oem seems few have gone the post OEM setup. This air issue is something I'm trying to avoid. I can handle a stall and prime, my wife would be lost. I'm also waiting for my rivet nuts. I borrowed the tool from a friend that does bodywork, had to order the 1/4-20's. I'll pick those up tomorrow.

Anyhow I know of Spicer, myself, and have two other friends in the area that aren't here but do own Dmax's(I smell some diesel fumes and barbeque coming up)
:D :D

[ 05-20-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]</p>

woundedbear
05-27-2003, 12:33
Victory,

Did you get your filter installed? TV home? I took a long Memorial weekend and have not been able to read your post until today. If you need a hand with the TV, I would be happy to help you out, if available.

My CAT setup is still patiently waiting in the garage. I made up a bracket and mounted it to the firewall months ago. I would guess within the next month or so, I will have it completed along with my MagnaFlow OE replacement muffler. I will update you if I run into any problems with air.

As far as a SE WI Duramax BBQ, I'm game!

Victory Red
05-27-2003, 16:56
Woundedbear,

TV is home as of last Wednesday. I had to make a quick run to a customer in Grand Rapids that night(long freaking night). Filter is installed with head/bracket/filter/fittings. Not tubed up yet. Fittings are wrapped tightly till sunday when I will get a chance to run the hoses. I want to do it as neatly as possible(also I bought 8 feet of hose(didn't seem like enough for both lines so had to wait until last saturday to acquire some more.

More than anything I'm hoping to avoid the air issue. I won't go the lift pump route, I'll just remove and restore to stock. I also just broke my friends Mac RN60 Threadsert tool :mad: :( . If anyone knows where I can get a cheap replacement let me know!!

I also just had a Flowmaster mufflerectomy. Seems the warmer the weather the louder it gets. Not too bad though.
If I get enough takers, I'll do the BBQ. Maybe sometime late June??

imported_
05-27-2003, 17:11
Victory Red,

It has been about 1200miles with no problems. I still get an occasional hesitation after start up but not often. I am also not letting it sit over night with less then a 1/4 tank of fuel. :confused:

I don't know if this eases your mind or not. I am with you on the lift pump. I talked to my brother-in-law (a mech eng in the mining/oil inds.) about feeding pressure into a vaccum pump. He couldn't remember off hand but he thought there was a reason why you shouldn't. He is going to try and check into this for me. I'll let you know if he finds anything.

a bear
05-27-2003, 17:23
Big Blue,
What about more vac by adding additional filtration. Was wondering what your temperature is running up there. It seems that the amt. of air increases with higher vac and temps.

imported_
05-27-2003, 18:18
a bear,

It definatly gets worse the hotter it gets and the less fuel I keep in the tank.

It has been in the mid to low 80s for the last couple of weeks. (hot by my standards)

I am going to search the archives for pressure and vac gauge recomendations and how/where you are taking these reading and invest in some equipment.

Gbenzx01
05-27-2003, 19:18
Victorred, Bigblue,

I installed cat 2mic filter postoem & had some problems with air & losing prime.
We got rid of the cat pushloks & went to parker with clamps(7/16th), eliminated the washers from the little bolts in the filter cap & just use the little orings, then glued the gasked (both sides)
under the cap & all our problems are gone, gone!
And as the other guys here say bear down on your strap wrench to tighten the cat filter & the smile will be when you don't believe your calcalator abt mpg & see if you don't figure it again.

Thanx Gben

Victory Red
05-27-2003, 19:43
Well I suppose I'm feeling a little easier now about the deal. As for my mileage(empty) my last six fillups have been 18.6(low) 19.3(high). If I even see 1mpg better per gallon I'll be happy. This far outdoes my last gasser, and I can now run to Menards load up 3500lbs of landscape brick and bring it home without looking through the rearview mirror and seeing the road I just ran over! :D

Anyhow sunday is the day I;ve set aside to finish my connections. Hopefully all will go well and the outgassing won't be an issue for me. If not, I know where to turn for help.

I want to do best for my truck, motor and investment, but not at the cost of being able to get in an go. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the replies.

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: Victory Red ]</p>

dieselburb
05-27-2003, 22:40
I've been reading all the posts about fuel filters and their respective setups and the gosh darn air issue. Some guys are using pushlock versus clamps, and some are even using both. Blah, blah, because everyone else has read them all too. My thoughts: 1)use either swedged hose ends or reusable hose ends, why? Because as some of you have found out, the pushlocks are very tight and won't come loose, or the hose clamps look real good and feel snug, but somehow air is still getting in there. The swedged and reusable hose ends are extremely reliable and vaccuum/pressure friendly under normal AND severe conditions. 2) DO NOT USE THREAD TAPE!!!! Diesel is a very viscous petroleum liquid and thread tape is meant for air and/or water applications only, so the area around taped fittings will eventually show signs of diesel residue from the erosion of the tape. They will leak. Use pipe dope recommended for petroleum applications (thus eliminating another possible air source as well) and only use it on NPT fittings, not the flared ones. 3)Use hoses and fittings/o-rings that are compatable with diesel fuel (i.e. brass fittings, Racor/Parker hose, Aeroquip, anything approved for fuel applications).
Following Landytug's(sp?) example, I'm a Baldwin dealer and I purchased the OB1308 filter head, but instead of punching the hole in the nipple, I removed it and machined one with the integral post seal as well as a correctly sized outlet orifice (I'm pretty sure JK's been down this road as well, but cost effectiveness wasn't there). Primary filter is the Mega BF7635 2 micron, but the kicker is my post OEM is the Mega Mega BF7639-D 1 micron. It's also the same threads and O-ring as the BF7635, just BIGGER and ridiculously finer filtration media. All fittings are reusable flares with aeroquip hose, no lift pump, no air issues, and probably more vaccuum through the system than most. If I ever get a camera, I'll post some photos. Good luck with whatever you do.

Victory Red
05-28-2003, 04:11
Dieselburb,

Yeah I suppose there is a lot of worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet. It's just so strange that some people(Mega, Cat, Racor) have no air issues some do. I would like to think that install quality has something to do with it, than again, too many people here seem to have to much skill to booger up such a simple setup.

Anyhow, as for fittings I'm using all Parker parts. I've got the 0503-8-6 Tube adapter(o-ring to the filter head, flare to the reusable fitting), 33982-8-8 90 degree(flare to tube adapter and barb pushlock fitting on end). So I see no place where I'd even need to use pipe dope. If memory serves, brass fittings(do to their soft metal nature) when torqued conform to each other, so a leak at these points is highly unlikely. My hose is 831-8 1/2 rubber covered pushlok hose rated for 300psi. The bolts to the filter primer replacement cap, well they're just to hold the cap down, the gasket should seal without any assistance. For kicks, I may double check to make sure they're evenly torqued. Than again, being different sized bolts, their respective torque amounts should be slightly different.

Anyhow due to space constraints(i'm using the 0749 9.4" filter for the first install) I had to relocate to JK's position.

I just don't like the thought of walking out to my truck every morning wondering if it'll start or not without a bleed. To me that's not fixing a problem, just adding another.

a64pilot
05-28-2003, 05:44
Question, Has anyone not using a Mega filter had engine stalling problems?

hoot
05-28-2003, 07:23
I've got 2500 miles so far on my post OEM Racor.

Haven't bled it and it hasn't stalled once since installed.

Latest mileage is 17.3 (tire size factored in).

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Victory Red
05-28-2003, 16:35
a64pilot,

The only person I know of having issues was/is Big Blue with his CAT setup. I also know from his posts and personal correspondence that he has most/if not all of his problems resolved.

As for me I'll find out sunday and next week whether or not the issues exist on my truck. I would've loved to have gone with JK's setup. He is well respected, a state resident(a few hours drive from me) and Baldwin filters are readily available in my area. Whatever the issue is with the Mega, I'm sure it'll be resolved(if there is a solution)in due time.

In my case, I've got 8000 miles and wanted to address the cleanest fuel issue ASAP. I initially tried for the Racor setup but was told a 2 week lead time to get the proper filter head from my local dealer. So then I went to a local CAT dealer. Everything was in stock and resonably priced(12 or 17 for the short/tall filter, 65 for the head). Plus they are also open until midnight 5 days a week so getting there to get a filter is also convienent.

Bottom line for me, I wanted to do the best I can for my truck, but I had no real brand loyalty. Out of the 3 big names commonly tossed around here, CAT was the only one to provide me with the parts I needed at the time I decided to buy. If the CAT gives me issues, I'll probably try the RACOR from Greg(if he'll be so kind to sell me just the filters and head since I'll already be plumbed).

More to come.....