PDA

View Full Version : Totalled my dmax

dontxs
05-17-2003, 22:29
Tuesday I was headed to work at 5:45am with not much sleep the night b4 , not from partying but from a 5mth old son and a 4 yr old, anyway I kinda dozed off for a second or 3 and woke up upon impact with the beginning of a steel gaurdrail ripping off the entire right side of my truck and caving in the roof. After the truck stopped sideways in the middle of I-45 just north of Houston I opened my door and stepped out. When the Trooper got there and asked who was driving he said, no really who was driving, as I did not have a scrach on me, anyway I am going to start going to church a little more regular. If anyone wants to see som pics just email me @--- dpmoran @ s w b e l l . n e t minus the spaces you will not believe I walked away without a scratch. Or view some of the pics here--www.pbase.com/dontxs/inbox

Don

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: dontxs ]

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: dontxs ]</p>

dontxs
05-17-2003, 22:42
I guess if I want to look at the bright side I just picked up my new 2003 LT crewcab yesterday ;)

But the one thing I don't understand is I was going about 70 mph and hit in the front but neither one of the air bags deployed, thank god for seatbelts because everything that was not strapped down was thrown all over the freeway.

Don

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: dontxs ]</p>

Hound
05-17-2003, 22:44
That SUCKS!!!! Glad you're OK after that tho!! That's what insurance is for.

TPIJeep
05-17-2003, 23:19
My gosh man.. you got all of that one!!! Hey buy back the allison for your core when you just have to get the ATS kit!!

Hope you like your 03, I just got the same truck 2 weeks ago!!

DURAMONSTER
05-18-2003, 01:00
OH MY GOD. I never seen a truck in that bad of shape and hope never again. Thank god your ok. That couldnt of only been 70. WOW, good luck. :eek:

imported_
05-18-2003, 01:39
Thank God you are ok.... 1 question though... did you get to use onstar finally? ;)

Jack's Dmax
05-18-2003, 02:29
Glad to hear that you got out of this in such good shape. I am curious about why neither the drivers or the passgengers air-bags didn't deploy. Perhaps an e-mail with a picture to GM might be appropriate? I assume that since the air-bags didn't deploy, On Star probably didn't report the crash.

Jack

atvpilot
05-18-2003, 02:37
Hey Don,
Don't think I need to see the pics,would feel like a rubber necker passing an accident scene just glad you are ok and the kids still have their dad.

Pilot ;) :cool:

mackin
05-18-2003, 05:28
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Luckily it was the passenger side and no one was with you .... Other wise I would believe you could be telling a different story ..... You must have hit that passenger side corner pretty hard for that door to open Delorean style with minimal damage .....

Yup you right you should be thankful ..... Good luck with the new truck ....

Mac

JEBar
05-18-2003, 06:04
ouch ... all mighty!! :eek: ... don't know what to say other than glad you are OK ... Jim

c5dura
05-18-2003, 06:23
Amazing :eek: :eek: Glad you're ok!

Scary thing about the airbags not going off..

BADMAX
05-18-2003, 08:10
GLAD TO SEE YOUR OK AS WELL. HOPE YOU LOVE THE 03. SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES AND AFTER SEEING THAT I'LL NEVER FORGET MINE AGAIN.. GOD BLESS

03 D/A EC SB G80 AFE STAGE2,AUTOMETER BOOST,PYRO,BANKS 4IN,AND SOON TO BE JUICED! BADDEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWNED!!!!!!!

mguebert
05-18-2003, 08:25
WOW,

I am glad nobody was hurt, you got extremely lucky. On the upside I bet you feel better about the safety of our trucks.

WillowCreekStable
05-18-2003, 10:37
:eek:
I

biglouieky
05-18-2003, 12:37
Seems to be a lot of problems with the air bags not deploying. On the NHTSA safety site www.nhtsa.dot.gov there are numerous complaints about airbags not working in crashes with the Silverados!

zip
05-18-2003, 12:57
It's scary that the airbags didn't deploy in this one -- I guess it goes to show us that you really do have to hit head-on for them to go off. Not too much damage done to the front of the bumper.
Glad you're OK .
zip

chuntag95
05-18-2003, 14:48
Wow! Who made the gaurdrail, Ginsu? Is that pile of stuff what used to be the left side? Didn't lose any coolant though. :D Glad you are okay.

dmaxalliTech
05-18-2003, 18:34
WOWSERS. Glad to hear your ok. I hope this dont sound insensetive but can you buy the truck?? Might be worth something if the motor and tranny is ok....Might be worth checking into. I may be intersted in it

ndamico
05-18-2003, 19:07
Regarding the airbags, my buddy hit a tree with his 02 Dmax hard enough to bend the frame. crunched the bumper, hood, both front fenders, intercooler, tranny cooler, radiator, etc..

His airbags didn't go off either. fortunately he wasn't hurt and walked away from it..

sdaver
05-19-2003, 05:03
ouch!! glad your still with us........dave

D-max Man
05-19-2003, 05:42
The air bags have 3 sensors and at least 2 of the three have to give the signal before they will deploy. This prevents accidental deployment when hitting large bumps etc. If the impact was not a head on impact (Which this wasn't) it may have only triggered 1 of the sensors so they did not deploy.

It seems like they are failing when you see this kind of damage to a vehicle but if they didn't do it this way, you could have air bags going off when hitting bumps and thus causing accidents.

Amianthus
05-19-2003, 09:22
Good to hear that you can walk away. Any wreck you can walk away from... A perfect example of why you should wear your seatbelt.

Airbags are a fickle thing. I've seen them go off for the smallest things. And some not deploy on the most hideous wrecks.

I wonder what your "black box" was reporting for vehicle data. It'd be interesting to see it for sure.

Colorado Kid
05-20-2003, 11:56
Again and again, especially over there at NHSTA I read..."I wasn't hurt, but the airbag didn't go off!"

If you didn't get hurt the airbags didn't need to go off, and you should be glad they didn't...the hearing damage, abrasions and sometimes eye damage that go with them you can do without. Also the driver usually has broken bones (thumbs) in one or both hands after an airbag deployment.

All that slicing of the truck kept the deceleration forces too low for the bags to go off, and the seatbelt did the job, without even bruising you. You'd have been in a lot worse shape if you hadn't been belted.

I spend more than 1/2 my time at work looking at accident reports...your's was at the extreme end of what we call "Property Damage Only", but I don't recall ever seeing a report where the bags deployed and there were no injuries.

I think the "occupant protection" perfomed as designed.

Watch out for those guard rail end terminals...some of them are mighty mean.

GadgetBoy
05-20-2003, 14:13
dontxs,
Don't be suprised that the airbags did not go off. If you walked away it is likely you did not get a hard enough frontal decelleration to trigger them. Pictures of my Dmax crash at http://photos.yahoo.com/texdmax
My wife had a Tbone crash in her S-10 that darn near killed her. Four months later when she was ready to try driving again, she wanted somehting big. I couldn't find a used Bradley so we settled on a 2500HD Extended cab.
Two weeks after picking up my wifes new 2001 Dmax while on the way to the dealer to pick up my new plates, I had a couple of snowbirds make a U-Turn accross both lanes of US 290 into the crossover with their trailer in tow right in front of me. Barely enough time to get into the brakes before impact at 65. I ended up hitting the drivers door and bed of their truck while the trailer swung around and slapped the passenger side of the truck. Almost 20K in damage but not enough to total it. As a result, we went out and bought me a new 2500HD while hers was in the shop getting repaired.
It's nice to have physics on your side when you have a crash.

TxDoc
05-21-2003, 12:18
Very fortunate, DonTx! I bet it sounded like a bomb going off.