PDA

View Full Version : I hate to bring this up AGAIN but!

TPIJeep
05-14-2003, 21:02
Sorry, I know this has been discussed time and time again but I am so torn between boxes right now.

I have narrowed it down to the Reg Juice and the TST Powermax, I plan to use the diablo to recal for my tires.

I want a strong running truck, I came out of a 5speed 12v D**ge with a TST #10 plate, 325hp/785ftlbs and LOVE the acceleration.

I like the TST's remote, and boost and pyro guages, I like the fact that everybody says the Juice is more Allison Friendly. The downfall of the Juice is the fact I will have to add another 350 or so for a good set of Digital guages whereas the TST comes with them. I just added a 4" exhaust and am Amsoil filter so I am ready for the upgrades. I also have a 1/2 micron bypass oilfilter setup ready to go on.

Help me here, I want the extra power but don't want to totally sacifice my 42k truck!

Thanks

AnTKoch
05-14-2003, 21:18
I have had both the Reg Juice and now have the competition TST Powermax. There is significantly more power in the TST but I now know what limping the tranny is. When I had the Juice I never limped the tranny. I now have added ATS Level III transmission upgrade so I won't be limping the tranny any more. So my answer to your question is probably the Juice unless you want to go a lot further in your modifications, also the Juice can be bought on Ebay for a couple of hundred less than TST but you don't get the guages.

Good luck

tpitt
05-14-2003, 21:30
Have a little patience. The last word I have is that the "juice" will have optional gauges available in June. tpitt

mackin
05-15-2003, 04:25
TPIJeep

Get the Hot Juice you wont be disappointed ..... Get a nice gauge setup ....

This will get Jesse going !!!!!! tongue.gif

The whole TST gauge thing is cheesy .... If you want velcro gauges go for it ..... ROTFLMAO

If you knew how this guy towers over me you would sware I have Elephant'itis of the you know what's ....

Mac :D :D :D

Kennedy
05-15-2003, 07:47
While my observations were made on an "underachieving" truck, the TST 140 HP did not touch the 125 Hot Juice on the dyno, and the Comp program was only slightly higher than the Hot Juice 125. The Comp unit will slip the trans bad enough that the owner was looking at trading for a 6 speed until I mentioned the dual mass deal, and the fact that guys like CPMac have taken out clutches etc. :eek:

Like Tpitt stated, the gauge (and other function) interface is coming, but like Mackin said, there's no substitute for REAL gauges mounted near your line of sight.

ATS Level III? Did I miss something?

Fact remains that most boxes cannot provide the numbers that a simple little 90 HP Juice (330+ Cummins/PSD spankin RWHP) can...

[ 05-15-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Jake99Z71
05-15-2003, 08:39
JK
ATS Level III is the full package. It means you have Level I and Level II. I have ran the TST PowerMax Comp. before and after adding ATS Level II upgrades. You could really feel and see the slippage before. I have yet to see or feel it slip after the upgrade of ATS Level II. The trans temps on my truck have come down since installing Level II. I have the correct orifice in my trans, but just waiting on the new software.

TPIJeep
05-15-2003, 22:23
What are the powersettings on the Hot Juice, the torque numbers would be nice to.

Anybody limping the tranny with the Hot box?

Looks like thats the way to go.. I could just get the regular juice, but I know me to well and would just be shipping it back for a reflash!

Thanks..

EDIT: One more thing, I see the new Juice controller they have on the website, guess its the one that "tpitt" was talking about. If I get the Hot Juice say today will it work with the new remote and guages?

Thanks again!

[ 05-15-2003: Message edited by: TPIJeep ]</p>

mackin
05-16-2003, 04:46
TPIJeep

I posted the HP # in the other thread those with the Juice as not to be redundant I wont post again .....

The Torque numbers are 250 feet LB @ 90 HP with the regular Juice ....

With the 125 HP version 300 Feet LB of torque .... :eek:

Some can limp their tranny,others are unaffected .

GMCTRUCK
05-16-2003, 08:03
TPIJeep, don't forget that no matter which box you decide on you can choose your power level. You don't have to run it at the highest levels if you're worried about your truck. Just remember it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. smile.gif Mack, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm always "towering over you" but, I can't help it that I'm taller :D . Kennedy, I'm sure after you told that guy (and all of us) how sh$tty the 6 speed clutch and flywheel are you forgot to mention that the $2400 he would save over the auto would come in handy for one of the competition clutches and soon to be out flywheels for the 6 speed and that to beef up the auto costs another $3k-$7k (depending who you ask)on top of the original $2400 price. ;)

Kennedy
05-16-2003, 08:08
Jake,

Does your trans work? Mine slams 5th (when under boost) and binds momentarily waiting for the offgoing clutch to drain and release. I've ordered a complete trans as a backup in case it isn't fixed soon as there is no way I can tow anything significant like this.

Jake99Z71
05-16-2003, 10:09
JK
The only problem I have experienced is the third gear slam that AnTKoch described in a thread under 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain. Other than that real happy with the rest of it. I know the first couple of days it drove like it had a serious shift kit in it until the TCM went threw its learning process. I have also determined that it drives better once the trans fluid is 100 degrees or higher. I have drove with it in T/H continuous for a day and all was well but shifting into 3rd gear with high boost. I haven't had your binding gear shifts.

Kennedy
05-16-2003, 14:03
Did you remove the spring from the outermost solenoid? That's when it got nasty. It delays the apply to R sometimes, but always hits hard in reverse. Under power, 5th hit so hard you can hear it on the other end of the phone, and rather than a strong push fwd, you actually momentarily slow/pause.

Supposed to be a new valve in the works...

Jake99Z71
05-17-2003, 10:20
JK
Are you talking about solenoid 15? This would be a trim solenoid with two springs and a valve. The instructions that I have don't mention removing any springs. I don't have any delay going into Reverse. Shifts into 5th gear are like normal no matter how hard you get on it. I think I've hit 5th gear with 32psi once or twice already.

Now, I wish I didn't have to work last weekend. Would have liked to compare transmissions.

Victory Red
05-17-2003, 16:50
While you two are talking transmissions I've got a question for you(or anyone else). When starting my lately(especially hot) I feel a 'lurch'(almost like a pump kicking in) a second or so after I start the truckeven though I haven't taken it out of park yet. It's only for a split second as well. I'm changing the trans filter tomorrow since I'm almost due, just curious if this is normal or not.

Jake99Z71
05-19-2003, 10:44
JK
I talked with ATS today. I was told if you have harsh reverse engagement to remove the spring you are talking about. So that explains why it's not in the instructions I have. I was told it was one of the personality fixes for the Allison.
On another note my exhaust brake stopped working with the ATS Controller this past weekend. Looks like a new Controller is on order. I was told that the harsh 3rd gear shift was almost fixed and the new adjustable level control on the Controller was almost ready for release.

Kennedy
05-19-2003, 11:03
I'm anxiously awaiting the fix as well. If I'm not careful on the 4-5 it bangs, so i need to saty below 16psi boost or so. If I don't back pedal soon enough, I've had the turbo "bark" as it goes into surge. :eek:

The harsh R has been there since installed IIRC.

Harsh 5th started when I removed the spring which I was told was omitted from the instructions, but was to be added. The last I head, a new valve/shim is in the works for this trim solenoid.

I have my apparatus set up so I can monitor line psi with my SPA gauge so that is the next step.

You wouldn't want to ride in mine on a 4-5 shift...