PDA

View Full Version : d-max down injector cup under warrenty?

deadlyman
08-19-2003, 19:25
Hey
I hope somebody can help me truck is in the shop it was pressureizing the coolant tank and blowing out the overflow but not overheating replaced the res. cap and thermastats no luck gm told them to put dye in and run it then dissasemble valve covers and injectors to look for leaks.that is the info up to date.Has anybody else had this problem?

dmaxalliTech
08-19-2003, 19:33
You are not the first one to experience this. They are indeed on the right track with the diag. The injector cup is a sleeve that the injector mounts into on the cylinder head. Its sealed by two orings at the top and some red locktite at the bottem. Usually they leak at the bottom, there is a tapered seat to the head and its subject to pitting or galling sometimes. The problem with diagnosing like they want to, as far as dye and dissasembling top of engine, is that when you start pulling hoses apart, no matter how well you drain the system, you could accidently spill small amounts of coolant and contaminate your investigation. The method I have found to work better is adding the dye, and run the engine for a few hours. Then remove the glow plugs and pressureize the cooling system, It should leak both ways if its leaks, You can shine a black light in to the glow plug hole and inspect for signs of dye, this way you know where to head. Once the leaking cup is removed (if its found to be a cup) the surface on the head where the cup seats must be carefully inspected, any signs of pitting or galling and the head should be replaced.

sdaver
08-19-2003, 19:35
CHRIS HUNT, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION HIS WAS WARRENTY TRY THIS

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/injectorcupweb.htm

no try this one
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004560

[ 08-19-2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]

deadlyman
08-22-2003, 03:44
well todays update
got the call from dealer today they are going to replace all injector cup's several are leaking gm decided to cover all repair and upgrade my rental amount to 60$ a day will be finished middle of next week so they say

sdaver
08-22-2003, 06:51
great news :D

chuntag95
08-22-2003, 09:55
I had 3 leaking on one side too. After the repair, no coolant loss or other issues. Coolant is still in the same place as when I picked it up about a year ago. Now if I can get the tranny working again. :(

deadlyman
08-28-2003, 18:58
new update they replaced all of the cups like they said put it all back together then ran it now there is no coolant flow took it apart to check the waterpump that was replaced before it is fine then took out the radiator it's fine now they are removing the heads any idea what this could be? :confused:

dmaxalliTech
08-28-2003, 20:04
sounds like an inexperienced dealer to me :rolleyes:

I just finished putting new headgaskets on a truck and resealed all the injector tubes and replaced all the missing bolts from the previous repair and fixed the truck....in about 10 hours

What do they mean no flow? Truck runs hot? I am curious what they are chasing here... :confused:

sdaver
08-28-2003, 20:07
their tails :rolleyes:

dmaxalliTech
08-28-2003, 20:17
LOL, yup :D

mackin
08-29-2003, 04:53
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/staun.gif

deadlyman
08-29-2003, 16:05
well more bad news they still do not know what the problem is instedof removing the heads and checking the gaskets they are replacing the thermastats again and o ring for the houseing geuss the found a nick on the o ring and reasemble the motor flush the cooling system runing it then checking for gasses in the coolant again something about a possible air pocket not alowing the thermastat to open but they still found traces of gasses in the coolant but think that this might be left over from before foun out this dealership has only worked on a couple of d-maxes and only replaced injectors nothing else