PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start?

SparkyTX
05-14-2003, 07:15
Okay, I have a new fire red 03 GMC 2500HD SLE D/A CC SB 4x4 on order and expect it to arrive in the next month or so.

It will be used to pull our small Starcraft pop-up (around 3500#) but also for pulling a gooseneck flatbed with my off-road toy (6500# GMC Jimmy 1-ton off-road beast on 42 TSLs with over 420HP/450ftlb).

I need the rig to be reliable, but also fun. I spend enough time working on the Jimmy, don't need to messing with GM on the tow rig. But I also have to personalize it some. Let's also add that this is my FIRST diesel. That sound will take some getting used to for a lifetime gasser!

Anyway, besides the standard exterior mods already planned (grille guard, side bars, taillight guards) and the goose hitch (favoring the b&w turnover right now), what other mods should I consider that may improve looks (I know that is relative), performance, fuel economy, etc?

Thoughts all?

billnourse
05-14-2003, 07:54
Brian,

Running boards and a Pace-Edwards or similar bed cover would be nice.

As far as a bed hitch goes, you might consider the Reese bed rail system. You could put a 25,000 lb gooseneck plate in the bed when needed, but you would also be able to convert to 5th wheel hitch should you ever want to. With no hitch in the bed, the rails only sit up about 3/4", and are really no obstruction in the bed. Changing from 5th wheel to goose neck is a snap with just the removal of 4 pins.

I have this system, and like it real well.

Regards,

Bill

SparkyTX
05-14-2003, 08:06
I have thought about that as I am bettin' I'll end up tradin' in the pop-up someday for a 5er. However, I use the bed of my Jimmy quite a bit for hauling stuff (well, used to back when I could reach it!). From what I have seen, teh unagoose and the turnover ball provide the least interference within the bed. I am favoring the turnover ball over the unagoose due to the ease of converting to a 5th wheel hitch (unagoose doesn't offer this that I have found).

But, who knows. I could change my mind 10 times between now and when I actually buy/install the hitch!

chuntag95
05-14-2003, 08:56
Hey Sparky, Welcome.

We are having a get together on Saturday. You can come out and see several trucks in the area with lots of mods installed.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001149&p=

I would recommend a secondary fuel filter. That, early, will save you the most long term IMHO.

SparkyTX
05-14-2003, 10:18
I saw that post, but already have plans for the weekend. With a 16 y/o and a 9 y/o in addition to remodelling a house, working in IT (oncall), and my off-road toys, my weekends are usually booked WELL in advance!

I think my next available weekend is sometime in July!

GMCTRUCK
05-14-2003, 11:42
For a truck you're gonna tow with start with a good exhaust, air filter and set of gauges before adding any kind of power box. As far as power modules go you seem like the kind of guy who would want one that has power setting for safe towing power and flat out fast settings for when you want to smoke those imports running around with "fart pipes" and one where you can easily choose the appropriate settings. There are plenty of plug ins out there so it's best to hear from owners who actually tow decent weight with Allison trucks and find out which power modules seem most preferred. It's not a bad thing but, plenty of people on this site don't even own a trailer ball so they couldn't tell you how their power module works while towing. BTW, your Jimmy looks pretty mean. I've got a stock but rotting 79 K30 SRW: D60,14FF,SM465/NP205 etc. that I'm planning on using as a drivetrain donor for a 73-91 K5, so I'm sure you'll be getting questions from me in the future. Welcome to the site.

TexasMax
05-15-2003, 05:47
Welcome to the list Brian. We may have met before if you are a member of TX4WD. I am a memeber of the Tomball/Conroe Chapter. If you have been to either of the last two Mega Runs you may have seen my truck there.

Again welcome to the list and enjoy that new toy when you get it.

Dan

SparkyTX
05-15-2003, 06:37
Hey Dan,

I probably have seen you there, and I am pretty sure you have seen me. I am the Chairman of the Board for the DFW Chapter. I am the guy that ran the MR 2002 and had the half page photo in the article in Four Wheeler magazine (check out the link to my home page to see my big Jimmy). I was also at the MR 2003, but incognito. My Jimmy's 1-ton conversion wasn't done yet, so it was still at home in the driveway with no brakes installed. So I ended up renting a small Jimmy, since my K20 wasn't capable of hauling the entire family out there.

Ready for MR 2004? Looks like we will be moving it to Gilmer and changing up the events some. And I am VERY much looking forward to getting a tow rig so I can quite driving this beast every day!

TexasMax
05-15-2003, 06:49
I had heard rumors of the Gilmer move. Little bit futher of a drive for me but I like Gilmer alot more. I didn't have my blazer ready this year either. I ran my 71 (red and white) that is on the TX4WD web page.

I went from towing with an 86 6.2 diesel suburban to a Dmax and it makes all the difference in the world. I am so much more relaxed when I get where I am going and when I get home.