PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy 4 inch pipes

max out
12-22-2003, 08:27
Just recieved kit today and was wondering if it would be wise to use some type of muffler tape or paste on joints before installing band clamps, So it would be a one time install with no leaks? Also wanted to thank John K for great prompt service. Love that speedy service.

max out
12-22-2003, 09:19
Was also wondering what end of the muffler goes towards the motor? can see holes looking into one end, and no holes looking into the other. I would think the end were you can see holes would be the end that goes closer to motor. A little help please.

Idle_Chatter
12-22-2003, 10:39
Max Out, the muffler is reversable. The holes you are seeing are actually little "scoops" in the inner pipe. If you install the muffler with the scoops towards the engine, you get maximum quietness, away from the engine, more noise and maximum flow.

Kennedy
12-22-2003, 10:50
I put them with holes opening to rear.

The band clamps need grease to slide. I like to use dielectric grease. Use an impact on the bolts of the clamps. You should see an "imprint" of the large pipe when tight, and the flat bars should be sucked flat together.

zip
12-22-2003, 11:25
The more I looked at mine, the more it apppeared that BOTH ends were the same! So it was easy for me to put the open scoops toward the tailpipe. :D
zip Must have worked- the sound is good-
A little bit of drone @50mph tho.

jeephauler
12-22-2003, 14:06
You can use high temp silicone one the pipes if you desire. I use RTV orange on my motorcycle header and exhaust connections. Buell uses this same compound on the exhaust from the factory. Will work fine for your application.

Kennedy
12-22-2003, 14:48
We have several different mufflers that we use. Some of the extra long ones for long bed trucks make no difference, and the 4 into 5 of course has no choice. I personally feel that it makes little difference as to which way it is installed both for performance or sound.

The band clamps will seal the joint completely. No need for sealers. Just remember, the foil "doobie" is impossible to light so slide it in where the band comes together.

PS a leaky joint will show a black smut in a few hundred miles of driving.

YZF1R
12-22-2003, 16:24
I must be getting old. Never thought of calling it a "foil doobie". :D

Steve

HD-Nate
12-22-2003, 18:34
Originally posted by max out:
..... was wondering if it would be wise to use some type of muffler tape or paste on joints before installing band clamps, ...... No need to. The clamps do all the work ;) Impact wrench works the best.

I used a nickel anti-seize on the joints, this helped me slide them together and allowed for easy twisting once together.

Approx. 10k miles and no leaks.

[ 12-23-2003, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: HD-Nate ]