PDA

View Full Version : 4" Exhust How Good is it??

Merconvert
05-13-2003, 23:39
Hey need Help. my Brother has a 01 2500. He seen a Ad in J C Whitney!!! ya. 4" exhaust complete. $ 395.00
1 has anyone used this system??
2 Will it improve milage?
3 What do you guys Think.???
4 He is on a Tight Budget,yep over the Hill type. Please give me some imput. He doesn't have a P C.

Thanks Bob

nukedmax
05-14-2003, 04:13
Merconvert
Don't know anything about the JC Whitney Exhaust.

Personal opinion, Unless you are going to add other performance mods... not worth the money.

I noticed no measurable change when I added the Banks Exhaust with no other mods.

mackin
05-14-2003, 04:23
I'm with Nuked ...... If he's on a fixed budget and just wants a rumble get a free flow muffler and a shop to install it for him .....A 4" exhaust is only part of a puzzle ....

MAC ;)

GMCTRUCK
05-14-2003, 12:04
$395 is probably about the right price for an aluminum 4 inch exhaust. They seem to be popping up everywhere including Ebay. Most of them are the same thing, made by the same shop, and then sold to the diesel shops and retailers. It comes down to who's gonna charge you more, Curley, Larry, or Mo? But like Mack said if he's not doing anything else to the truck and doesn't want to spend $ but wants more rumble a muffler shop can just weld in a louder muffler

Diesel to the MAX
05-14-2003, 12:49
So, r u saying that by adding a 4" system, it will not lower your EGT's? Would that not be an added benefit? :confused:

CYCLONEDIESEL
05-14-2003, 12:59
Keep the exhaust simple. Spend $30 on two mandrel bends and replace the muffler with these bends.

TPIJeep
05-14-2003, 13:14
I just got back from the shop, had a full mandrel bent 4" systme with a maga flow muffler installed. From a seat of the pants feel I don't feel anymore power, I am sure the EGT's are a bit lower but I find it hard that a stock dmax would run high anyway. I have just a little resonance in the cab but it sounds more like tire noise, the turbo whine outside is quite noticable with a throaty grumble.

Now way did I go with the 4"? Cause a Juice or Powermax is going on next and I wanted my bases covered before I upped the power..The Amsoil Air filter was installed with 30 miles on the truck!

But 400 does not sound to bad for the system !! :D

sonofagun
05-14-2003, 13:42
Bob,

If he is pulling a heavy trailer the 4" system will lower EGTs a bit and help the turbo spool up a bit faster. I agree with others though, if he isn't going to upgrade to a Juice, etc. then it is probably money not well spent.

My 2c

Bob

mackin
05-14-2003, 13:53
Diesel to the MAX

What will lower EGT'S is a free flow exhaust .... Less restrictive is the ideal.... I think that EGT'S stock with out performance enhancement will stay in check....

Mac

Minn-kota
05-14-2003, 16:25
How much added noise can be expected by removing the muffler? Will the turbo spool up that much sooner without the muffler?

Merconvert
05-14-2003, 23:37
Thanks Everybody,for the impute.
That was my thoughts also,I'll send him the info. My 01 3500 CC L B runs circles around his 2500,so I knew he wouldn't belive me. Yep still stock/ K & N Filter only. Us ole Buzzards can't afford those toys,But keep it up. Like to hear what You'all are doing.

Thanks Again

Bob

DURAMONSTER
05-15-2003, 00:41
minn-Kota How much added noise can be expected by removing the muffler? Will the turbo spool up that much sooner without the muffler?

Now thats what I want to know.

Allison Jettester
05-15-2003, 08:49
I am in the process of installing a magna flow 4" muffler ( hottexhaust) and then using stainless flex hoses
( https://dynamic.donaldson.com/ and http://kustomparts.safeshopper.com/252/cat252.htm?764 ),
a TY splitter
( http://www.usatruckpartsonline.com/exhaust.html?branch=5 )
and some stainless straight pipe
( http://www.onlinemetals.com/ )
to make a dual exiting rear exhaust.

I feel like the rest, that going from 3.5 to 4" is not going to make that much difference, but it seems to help lower EGT's and Turbo spool up. I want to get the exhaust in the back because the existing exit is just under the entrance to my slide-in camper.

Kennedy
05-15-2003, 11:02
I gotta say, when it come to exhaust, you get what you pay for! I have access to the same $350 retail systems, and even sold one the other day. It gets the job done, but that is about it...

Sorry to say, but flex pipe generally sounds like crap as it makes for all kinds of goofy noises.

DeanysDiesel
05-15-2003, 11:34
I just finished installing a Banks Exhaust and Exhaust Brake on my '02 3500. What I noticed most was the turbo spooled up a lot faster and I could feel the turbo at lower RPM's where I did not before.

As a result the truck is more responsive to the throttle. The exhaust is not an end all in itself, but since I really wanted the brake it made sense ;) to put the larger exhaust on at the same time. I pull a heavy 5th wheel trailer and the truck is more responsive with this load attached.

In my mind the exhaust is a prerequisite or a corequisite if you are considering any ECM modifications such as a power chip. Now that I have an exhaust in place if I choose to enhance further I have the prerequisite expense covered.

As said before on a very tight budget just install a high flow muffler inplace of the stock unit. The OEM exhaust is very clean other than this component.

Any one interested in purchasing a stock exhaust system?

britannic
05-18-2003, 08:44
Those replacing a stock system that has a catalytic converter (mainly in Kalifornia) will see a modest power increase, improved MPG and better spool up.