PDA

View Full Version : SoCalDmax on SPA Boost guage ??

sonofagun
05-13-2003, 14:08
SoCal,

In a long ago post you noted that the SPA boost sending unit needed to be grounded if not connected to metal (as in installed with a t in the rubber hose). How did you ground it? I am finally going to install my guages this weekend. Any sage words would be appreciated. Going to follow HOOTS method.

Regards,
Bob

SoCalDMAX
05-13-2003, 15:30
Son of a Gun,

When I had it installed in the wastegate hose, I used a piece of wire and a hose clamp to ground it to the same stud used by the harness on the firewall. Just wrapped the bare wire around the body of the sender and the hose clamp made for a better connection. A better method would be to put it on a ring terminal and then install the ring terminal between a fitting and the sender.

My final solution was to drill and tap a hole for the sender into the intake manifold, just before it curves down into the valley of the engine. Although it is now well grounded, I still get short periods of sporadic boost readings, either a poor power connection issue or an electrical noise in the harness thing. Haven't troubleshot it further.

Regards, Steve

RVGuy
05-13-2003, 16:34
I had posted this before, but here it is again.

I had been having ongoing and persistant flakey boost reading with my SPA digital boost/EGT gauge.

I can't recall why I did, but I re-routed my Edge Juice cables away from the boost cable as far away as possible.

My flakey readings immediately stopped and they haven't occurred again.

sonofagun
05-14-2003, 13:36
Thanks guys, most helpful.

Bob

RScott
05-15-2003, 23:57
Any of you guys know where I could get this or any gauge set installed in the so cal area? I have a big trip to South Dakota this summer and have to cross the Rocky's and really need the gauges. I just don't have time to do it myself.