PDA

View Full Version : Well... Here goes nothing... Finally Ordered a New Truck.

McRat
12-16-2003, 13:17
Decided on the GMC 3500 4WD SRW Club Cab Longbed.

The 3500 SRW only shows as 4WD, so I guess I'm going 4WD. The Chevy in an identical build is about $400 cheaper, but I couldn't find a Chevy dealer who would beat the GMC dealer's offer.

Oddly enough, if you build a 2500HD to the same configuration on Edmund's, it's $250 less for the 3500. The 3500 comes with rear posi as standard.

Not all the pricing is in GM's computer yet, so some options were TBD:

Power Package Discount TBD (W/A?)
Z82 Trailering Equip TBD (W/A?)

I started looking 6 months ago, and was going to get the Ford, but changed my mind due to the following factors:

GM boost in power to 310hp/590tq
OnStar
DVD for the kids
New 3500 SRW configuration
Price

The dealer went $200 over invoice for an ordered truck, which is fair.

Now the real waiting begins...

OC_DMAX
12-16-2003, 15:49
Which GMC dealer did you go with in the Corona area ? (sounds like a good price, never know when I might be in the market for a new truck)

Go to www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com) (Kelley Blue book)

They have the Power Package price listed. At least you'll get a feel for what it is.

McRat
12-16-2003, 17:35
Actually I went to Irvine GMC, my local GMC dealer and Chevy dealer wouldn't deal.

I did get pricing on Edmunds, but if GM doesn't list it, it's only a reference.

OC_DMAX
12-16-2003, 18:05
Irvine GMC - got it stored in memory.

Bought a new '95 Chevy truck from Corona Chev off the 91 FWY. Price and service were great back then. Went back in '99 to get another new one and they had been bought out by AutoNation (later became Power). Could not get anywhere with them on price so I have bought my last two trucks from Guarantee Chev in Santa Ana. The Victor Buick/Pontia/GMC in Corona also owns the Anaheim Hills dealership off of Weir Canyon. Purchased a Buick Regal for my mother in 2001 from the Anaheim Hills location. They seemed OK.

If I ordered another truck today and were to get the long bed, it sure seems like the 3500 is the way to go (instead of the 2500HD). The trucks are essentially identical, but you get the extra payload capacity plus 265 tires to boot.

Hope your truck arrives quickly, I know a lot of people are waiting for the first reports on the LLY engine.

McRat
12-17-2003, 11:39
Originally posted by OC_DMAX:
Irvine GMC - got it stored in memory.

Bought a new '95 Chevy truck from Corona Chev off the 91 FWY. Price and service were great back then. Went back in '99 to get another new one and they had been bought out by AutoNation (later became Power). Could not get anywhere with them on price so I have bought my last two trucks from Guarantee Chev in Santa Ana. The Victor Buick/Pontia/GMC in Corona also owns the Anaheim Hills dealership off of Weir Canyon. Purchased a Buick Regal for my mother in 2001 from the Anaheim Hills location. They seemed OK.

If I ordered another truck today and were to get the long bed, it sure seems like the 3500 is the way to go (instead of the 2500HD). The trucks are essentially identical, but you get the extra payload capacity plus 265 tires to boot.

Hope your truck arrives quickly, I know a lot of people are waiting for the first reports on the LLY engine. I will post dyno numbers and baseline 1/4mi numbers when the truck hits 500mi. ETA is February though.

pontiac_m18
12-24-2003, 20:19
HI MC RAT & when you get your S.O.N. & T.P.W, give me a shot!! = howard_m18@yahoo.com We'll add you to my famous "LIST!" Then you can track it home! Howard :D :D :D

McRat
12-25-2003, 13:00
Originally posted by pontiac_m18:
HI MC RAT & when you get your S.O.N. & T.P.W, give me a shot!! = howard_m18@yahoo.com We'll add you to my famous "LIST!" Then you can track it home! Howard :D :D :D Thanks!!

Errr...

What is a S.O.N and T.P.W.? ;)

DmaxMaverick
12-25-2003, 16:21
Sold Order Number

Target Production Week

Viking
12-25-2003, 16:34
McRat, I do not understand what the heading of your original post means. Please explain to this "old man". (Well... Here goes nothing")???

McRat
12-25-2003, 19:48
"Here goes nothing" is just an expression that means I'm venturing into unknown territory. I've been shopping for a new work truck for 6 months now, and finally decided on the GMC even though I'm a "Ford Truck" guy.

This will be my first diesel powered vehicle, and my first "ordered" vehicle of any kind. So I'm a little anxious about it.

flhrciblueice
12-26-2003, 02:24
Originally posted by McRat:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pontiac_m18:
HI MC RAT & when you get your S.O.N. & T.P.W, give me a shot!! = howard_m18@yahoo.com We'll add you to my famous "LIST!" Then you can track it home! Howard :D :D :D Thanks!!

Errr...

What is a S.O.N and T.P.W.? ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Sales Order Number
Targeted Production Week

McRat
02-07-2004, 09:09
Well, in theory at least, my truck was built last week.

Can't wait! ;)

mulerose
02-07-2004, 09:24
You'll love it. I have had my 04 for a week (300 mi.) and they have made some significant
improvements over the 01 that I traded in. More power, better transmission performance, and lots of little things.

dmaxmule
02-07-2004, 13:22
Congrats on your new truck. I hope the LLY and the '04 are better than we all expect. I know I am excited about my truck. :D I just ordered it a week and a half ago. I wanted a short bed, so I went with the 2500HD GMC.

Mc Rat, let us know how the new truck performs. We are all waiting to find out about this new engine.

dmaxmule

dmaxmule
02-07-2004, 13:28
pontiac_m18 I was wondering if you would help me track my truck on it's way home? I do not have the TPW or SON yet. I have not talked to the dealer since I ordered 1.5 weeks ago. I would appreciate it if you could help me.
dmaxmule smile.gif

Aluminator
02-10-2004, 18:09
Pontiac_M18,

Thanks for your offer to help track my new GMC! I am away from my home PC but I will be checking here and my email everyday to get the updated info.

Dennis

McRat
02-11-2004, 03:58
Well rumor has it that my truck was put on a train and is heading home.

McRat
02-11-2004, 04:00
Originally posted by dmaxmule:
pontiac_m18 I was wondering if you would help me track my truck on it's way home? I do not have the TPW or SON yet. I have not talked to the dealer since I ordered 1.5 weeks ago. I would appreciate it if you could help me.
dmaxmule smile.gif You need to call the dealer and ask for the Sales Order Number and Targeted Production Week.

If he does not have a SON, he did not actually order it yet.

dmaxmule
02-11-2004, 16:29
He ordered the truck as I was setting there. I did not know to ask for a SON and he said to call back to get the TPW. I am going to go visit him Friday. That will be 2 weeks after we ordered it.

McRat
02-20-2004, 12:42
It arrived today. So even with the holidays it took 2 months 4 days to get to California.

I'll go pick it up tomorrow.

McRat
02-21-2004, 16:41
http://fuzzydiceracing.com/k/35001.jpg

WOO HOO!!!!

$44K out the door, loaded with everything but dual alternators.