PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Diesel...WOW!!! GREAT Towing Experience!

Bobcat698
10-28-2002, 12:14
Well, I just got back from Colorado we got 1 4x4 elk & 1 cow elk between the 5 of us.
We left with the Duramax & a 38 Foot (total length) Horse trailer with living quarters.
The Horse trailer is (I estimated) about 8,500 pounds empty after I weighed the truck & trailer.

I weighed the truck in Tomah, Wisconsin at the Kwik Trip Plaza on a Certified scale that the Semis use.
All weights are with just ME in the truck (I weight 240)
The Front axle weight was: 4540lbs
The Rear axle weight was: 6740lbs
The 2 rear axles on the trailer was: 11800lbs
Total weight, truck & trailer with one person was 23,080 pounds.

Now, I figure, with 3 more people & all the extra water & gas I added at that stop, our total weight was about 25,000lbs, 3,000 pounds over the GCVW rating for the truck.
I put over 400# more weight just in the back of the truck with the extra cans of gas & diesel.
I also only had 1/2 a tank of Diesel fuel in the truck.
After I got off the scale in Tomah, as I was just about to turn on the highway, I had to stop quickly because some idiot was trying to turn into the Truck stop without his turn signal.
I Floored it to get out of the way & I swear I SPUN the rear TIRES!!

Taking off in Tow/Haul Mode, the thing surprised me with the quick acceleration while going from Highway B & merging onto I-39.
Even on Highway B going 55MPH, the thing would stay in Overdrive, on pretty decent sized hills that the '99 Ford DOWNSHIFTS ON EMPTY!!!
Going into LaCrosse, the truck only downshifted into 4th gear about 3 times, then I came upon these semis carrying something HUGE going throught the hills & I stepped on it & pegged it at 70 in 4th gear.
Coming through Minnesota & through IOWA there was a FERCIOUS headwind, windier than hell.
I maintained 72MPH without a hitch & it never shifted out of Overdrive.
But, that headwind DID have an affect on the MPG.
I got 8.73MPG at the first fill-up, I didn't quite make it into Clear Lake, Iowa, like I usually did with the lowly old 6.0L.

After that the wind Died down & I got 10.8MPG at the next fill-up. I was going about 72-75MPH.

Coming into Colorado on I-76 I set the cruise at 72MPH & left it. Now if any of you have been on that route, there are some pretty LOOOOOOOONG hills, & you'd think you'd lose a bit of speed on them, & I'll tell you, That truck Downshifted ONE TIME & that was the only time that I dropped below 70MPH.
The rest of the time, I was ABOVE 70MPH, & I never once touched the throttle.
It was pretty funny, coming in on I-76, I passed a Red Ford PowerStroke pulling a small, maybe 7,000lbs camper. I passed him like he was standing still.
I stopped at most of the way-sides along the way (to stretch, & other occupants had to use the bathroom)
& every time I got back on the highway, I always passed that same damn Ford! I stopped for fuel just outside Denver & got back on the highway, & I passed the guy AGAIN in the mountains like he was standing still. One time while going through a 55MPH one-lane construction zone, we both went about 55MPH (me & the Ford) but I ended up stuck behind him.
When that construction zone ended & went back to 2 lane, I floored it & blew past him at 80MPH. You should have seen the look on his face!
When I got back in the right lane people coming to pass me looked at me like "H0ly crap"!
I got sick of the spiel & finally got a picture
I think I Passed him 5 times altogether, he was looking a little disconcerted when I rolled down the window & took his picture :D

Through the mountains, I was able to go 55 & 60 MPH just fine in 3rd gear on the govenor, much better than the 2 & 3rd gear crap in the 6.0L gasser at 25MPH with the flashers burning all the way.
I even passed a few semis on the way up!!

I love the grade breaking!
It works wonders in 3rd gear at 4500RPM!

Keeps your speed right down, & I barely had to touch the brakes, I just hit them when I wanted it to downshift.

When I fueled up in Glenwood springs I got 11.2MPG.

On the way back, the trailer was a little lighter, maybe by a ton or so, but there wasn't much difference in the way it pulled.

Just coming out of Woody Creek, Colorado, We pulled over just before Summit Pass or something like that & got some rest.
I left the truck run for a good 3 hours because it was only 18

AbqGeorge
10-28-2002, 20:37
Sounds like a pretty good trip there bobcat698, and a successful hunt to boot,

You're sure getting me excited to latch onto my FW and give 'er a tow. My 2001 6.0L gasser is still sitting in the driveway. Been advertising that thing for two weeks now. I think the word is out and everyone is buying a Duramax. I do quite a bit of Albuquerque to Ft. Collins and back (son, daughter-in-law, & 3 really cute grandkids are there). On the last trip home, from Raton to Las Vegas, NM I ran the 6.0L in second gear for over an hour because it would not/could not maintain ANY speed in high gear into that headwind. Mileage, less than 7 mpg!!. I got home and ordered the 2003.

I'm up to 450 of those 500 break-in miles. Probably pull the fifth wheel to Ft. Collins Thanksgiving week.

Thanks for the report.

Bobcat698
10-28-2002, 22:11
BTW, we had a 2000 6.0L pre HD truck we made the trip with last year.
It had a 5 speed with a 3.73 rear end.

That was NOT a fun affair, 4th gear & 3,000RPM at 70MPH, plus you would lose almost 8MPH going up a small hill....

2 & 3rd gear in the mountains was real fun too...

We got 8-10MPG though, decent..

Garrett

Brucec
10-29-2002, 08:53
Bobcat698 this Trip Computer is it stock item or accessory?? Just wounder if my 2500HD LS 4x4 Duramax has this as I did not know about the hour meter just until last week.

billnourse
10-29-2002, 09:16
Bobcat698,

The Ford driver looked a bit disconcerted? Maybe it's because you scared him by running 70 to 80 mph while 2000# over GVW and 3000# over GCW. This sounds like some of the overweight horror stories from the Dodge Pages.

It's nice to know that our pickups will pull like they do, but they are still just pickups, and they do have limits. 80 MPH while grossly overloaded might just be one of those limits.

No flame intended, but if you are going to run that heavy you might want to consider the consequences of excessive speed.

Bill

SoCalDMAX
10-29-2002, 11:23
Glad to hear you love the truck and had a successful hunt! Those were some incredible speeds for that much weight, speaking from a POWER viewpoint only. Driving the truck empty doesn't really prepare one for the performance the truck has when towing, it runs incredibly fast even when loaded.

I finally had a chance to tow 6,000lb of trailer thru the very steep mountains from Sandy Eggo to the desert,playing with the toys along the way. As other brand diesels with toyboxes were blowing good sized clouds of black smoke and struggling to maintain 55-60mph, I was passing at will up very steep grades at speeds up to 85-90mph.

The fun part was: using Juice level 3, get behind them at 55mph. Signal, pull into left lane and ease on the throttle. Small puff of smoke and great acceleration. Hit propane switch, the smoke disappears, EGTs drop slightly, boost hits 32psi and I'm off like an empty rocket. I was passing luxury cars like they were going backwards.

Disclaimer: I was only doing this to see what she'd do with a load behind her and this was the biggest load I had available. I don't condone this type of driving, probably won't do it again just because I don't want a ticket. It's very gratifying to know that we've got the power to pass and accelerate at will, towing loads, while enjoying the quiet and luxury of an SUV.

PS: I was monitoring oil, tranny and diff temps while towing. Ambient temp in the mountains was mid 70's. Engine oil temp never exceeded 200*, avg was 180-190*. Tranny temp indicated 180* on the dash, never exceeded 160* on the sump mounted sensor. Differential temp was monitored at the sender hole on the top of the Mag-Hytec diff. cover. Diff temp. never exceeded 160*. This soulds low and may be due to the sender location or the aluminum finned cover's ability to dissipate heat. Mag-Hytec states that this is the best place to monitor oil temp from the diff. Either way, nothing was even close to alarming. Actually, I'm wondering if this low of temps are OK. Any comments?

Regards, Steve

hdmax(mike)
10-29-2002, 11:43
I am glad to hear you are having good luck with your towing.

I am very happy with my truck, But there is no way it has the power you seem to have. But the mileage running empty is great. Can`t say that while towing though.

When I tow, thw GCVW is in the 15400-16400# range and I get about 15 mpg when maybe half the miles traveled are towing and the other half is running empty. And 19+ running empty for the entire tank full.

If you went from 55 mph to 80 mph while passing just one truck and grossing 23-25 thousand pounds, you must have a jet. tongue.gif That is what I do running empty.

Transmission temps are right in line with what mine run, minus the 125*. Mine almost always run in the 140-170* empty or loaded.

Bobcat698
10-29-2002, 15:57
I wasn't running 80MPH all the time, its just I had to get in the left lane & get out of everyones way so I could pull into the right lane again.

If I didn't, I would have to stay behind the guy going 55MPH while about 50 cars passed me.

I had the oppurtunity to see what she would do & she surprised me!

Maybe I got a stronger engine. Maybe its the K&N filter.

Every time I hit a large hill, the turbo starts whining & she really goes!

Its like this:

She senses a hill, kicks on the turbo & laughs!

Jeez, pulling 8,000lbs if I have the cruise set at 70MPH, I will gain 2MPH going up the hill!

I know ramping her up to 80MPH wasn't the safest, but I had to get out of the way.

Garrett

Kent Tuttle
10-31-2002, 10:07
I also had a chance to tow may toybox trailer fully loaded over the weekend and I must say these trucks are truly amazing! The best part is not having to worry about the EG and water temps anymore and being able to pull the hills and pass folks with ease. And to thing when I add the performace goodies this is only going to get better :D

Oongawah
10-31-2002, 22:30
Kent,

We were in your neck of the woods over the weekend. We pulled our 5Th Wheel up the Cajon Pass @ 75-80 with power to spare. Unbeleiveable power with the Juice. In level 2 the EGT's stayed around 1100-1200. Love this truck. Thinking on selling the Z28 now. The truck does it all.

Kent Tuttle
11-01-2002, 20:57
I use the I-15, Cajon Pass in the summer with the boat to the river. I don't even know the 3500#s is behind me. It rolls right up the pass. My wife is always telling me to slow down but I can't help it :D