PDA

View Full Version : MHI TE06h, DB2-4911, 6.5 Injectors

Alaska Aviator
03-02-2004, 14:10
Well I'm thinking about upgrading the power output of my 6.2. It's in a 86 Suburban, but the engine is a 92 J code block. It currently has the Banks Turbo setup on it and power output has been "ok" but I'd like a little more.

It is a stock 6.2 without low compression pistons - It's got about 110,000 trouble free miles on it (50,000 with the Banks Turbo) One mechanic I took it to told me it has an "arctic" IP (I live in Alaska) I don't know which code that is.

Anyway I'm trying to decide if I should go the MHI TE06H wastegate turbo, DB2-4911 IP, 6.5 Injector route - is that just asking for trouble or can a stock 6.2 handle it (driven by an old bush pilot that is pretty good about watching guages!)

What do the Knowlegeable ones think?

TIA
AA

britannic
03-02-2004, 17:13
The only difference with using the MHI TE06H is the fact that it provides boost lower down in the rev range and allows for a little more fuel to be injected for additional power. A key benefit with this turbo is the ability to set an upper limit on boost and thus save your headgaskets.

Alaska Aviator
03-03-2004, 08:47
Thank you for the quick response Britannic - I read a lot of your posts with great interest - does your 6.2 have the standard compression pistons?

I forgot to mention that I also have already installed 6.5L head gaskets and I will be adding all of the cooling mods.

Does anyone know of a lower temp fan clutch - my fan never runs with the stock one!

TIA
AA

Dieselboy
03-03-2004, 12:59
The Hayden Severe duty clutch is what I'm using. It's the only clockwise lower engagement unit that I know of. Got mine from Bill Heath, heathdiesel.com

Alaska Aviator
03-03-2004, 15:38
I guess my other question is, are any of you guys running these higher output mods using pistons with ceramic coating or any other heat resistant mod.

AA

wthif
03-03-2004, 16:12
I know Britannic's old engine isn't using anything extra for cooling except what came with the engine and a new thermostat. I've been meaning to get around to changing my signature on my posts because the "Britannic Engine" is now residing in my truck. I'll change my sig once I get a few kinks worked out. I can say the engine temp didn't rise on a 2 o 3 mile hill climb and the EGT stayed below 900 with 3/4 of a ton in my bed while maintaining 75mph.

[ 03-03-2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: wthif ]