PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Racing a Duramax

Trippin
01-30-2003, 23:17
My wife called before I left work to tell me the 14 Frwy was closed and all traffic was being diverted to the 5 north. This happens a couple of times a year and usually turns my 45 minute commute into a 1 hour and 45 minute commute. The way around this is through a two lane 25 mile canyon road that has most turns posted at 20 mph and slower.

There is nothing quite like throwing a Duramax/Allison equipped 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 around on a canyon road. Sure its nose heavy as hell, way to long, oh to heavy, and lot's of fun. I really gave the Allison, the Bilsteins, and the BFGs a workout. :D

The Allison really got with the program, after about 2 miles in the tow haul mode. It's intuition was almost perfect on the downshifts into the corners. It only wheel hopped the truck once on corner entry. :eek:

I even had a minivan and a 4 runner use two of the turn outs to let me by. I was on the prowl for some Rice but didn't find any. I would have loved to run the big old diesel up behind an Accord with a beer can exhaust system. One thing kept going through my head during the trip. Did Steve have this much fun when he taught the Rice boys a lesson at the drags? :D

mdadgar
01-30-2003, 23:49
You should have seen my buddy John and I flogging our Duramaxes around Sears Point Raceway in the rain back in December.

These trucks don't much like to change direction, but it turns out that other cars will wave you by in a heartbeat if you pull up close enough behind them. smile.gif

Tow/haul mode helped immensely.

- Mark
'02 Sierra D/A CC SWb 4x4

SoCalDMAX
01-31-2003, 01:40
"Did Steve have this much fun when he taught the Rice boys a lesson at the drags? :D "

It was fun, but canyon driving something that big is a whole 'nother ball of wax... :eek:

"You should have seen my buddy John and I flogging our Duramaxes around Sears Point Raceway in the rain back in December."

I'm having a heart attack just thinking about it.... IN THE RAIN???? Jeez, you guys are making me look like Dudley Dooright.

Regards, Steve

mdadgar
01-31-2003, 01:45
Keep your shorts on. I pushed 4-Wheel High.

smile.gif

- Mark

Trippin
01-31-2003, 23:51
Strange Engine,
Sears Point? Man that would be awesome! I've been there to watch many a Cup race but have never driven the track. Down the back straight into turn nine and then onto the front straight in the rain? GOTTA LOVE IT!

battmain
02-04-2003, 17:36
From another one that enjoys flogging these beasts around. It drizzled here today and it sure was fun on the ride home. The on ramp was quite slick too since we haven't had rain in a while, but these trucks drift as well as the race car. :D I just wish I had a video camera for the tailgaters when I step the back end out and watch the distance between me and them open up. As for the ricers, heh, I've thoroughly enjoyed showing them how take a high speed banked ramp then laughed my ass off as they blew by me at the speed limiter. ;)