PDA

View Full Version : An Exhausting Tale

LarryM
01-29-2003, 16:24
Ever since I got my truck in April, 01, I've been reading posts about exhaust system modifications and manufactures advertisments. Even when I asked direct questions, I was never able to get the kind of info I was looking for.

Having limited funds as well as being naturally cheap, I was reluctant to invest in a mod without knowing for sure if it would do what I wanted.

Since all my shop equipment and tools are in storage right now, I couldn't even do the work myself. Well, my curiosity finally got the best of me. I found a samll local shop that would put a "free-flow" muffler on in place of the OEM Muffler for $100. He quoted a complete 4 inch system installed for $400, but that was way over my thershold of pain.

The muffler is a Walker straight through job, 4 inch inlet/outlet and 27 inches long. The install workmanship was not great, but more than adequate for the purpose intended. The thing is almost as quiet as the stock muffler, at least driving in traffic. So far, the only difference I can tell is that the truck seems to drive "smoother".

Maybe this "smoothness" is a result of the turbo spinning up quicker, but I can't hear it in city traffic, so don't know for sure.

In about a week, I'll be making another 3000 mile run. If there is no snow In the passes, I'll pull the trailer and that will be the real test. I will report back with my observations after the trip.