PDA

View Full Version : SES light - Fuel Temp Sensor

mtomac
10-22-2002, 15:25
About 15 minutes into my drive to work this morning the SES light came on. So on my way home I went to AutoZone and had them hook up the Tech II scan tool. It gave the error code P0181 - Fuel Temp Sensor. The guy at AutoZone said it had something to do with the glow plugs, but what does he know? The truck has been starting up no different than in the summer, but I have been using the block heater for 2 hrs in the morning (on a timer) since overnight temps went down into the 30's. The only thing that has changed recently is last night I set the timer for 3 hrs instead of 2. I'm using the block heater instead of letting the truck run to warm it up in the morning (I want heat right away when I start it up). Any ideas why it threw this code?

This isn't juice related because I sent HOT ver 4.3 back for a reflash (diesel clatter between 2000-2500 rpm)last monday. They are sending me a HOT ver 4.5 beta to try out so I'll see if that cured the problem.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

srubrn
10-22-2002, 15:52
Michael,

There is nothing wrong with your truck that can be fixed. What is happening, is the block heater is heating the engine and not the fuel so the sensor thinks something is wrong because of the temp. difference. At the present time there is no fix for it. It won't hurt a thing and the light will go out. I know this from experience. Replacing the sensor will do nothing.

If you don't won't it to come on, then don't use the block heater.

mtomac
10-22-2002, 15:59
Thanks, srubrn

I knew I had to be something stupid because the truck started, ran, & drove w/o any side effects. Since I didn't get the SES light running the block heater for 2 hrs, I think I'll set the timer for 2 hrs instead of 3.

JZ
10-22-2002, 19:01
Actually, there is new software for the false p0116 and p0181 codes. One is under Operating System Software (Part # 15188873 for my truck). The other is under Fuel System Calibration (Part Number 15189542 for my truck).

Just had mine done but have not used the heater since.

JZ
01 CC SB D/A 4x4 LT