PDA

View Full Version : downpipe

wild bore
01-29-2003, 07:13
I found this while looking at the dyno

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/ezRetail/search/view.php?msg_id=1457

TraceF
01-29-2003, 07:53
It apparently runs into the stock system from there back. Not sure this would add any benefit in this application.

Only 2 hours to install. :confused:

I pulled my oem and installed the Banks Monster in less than 2 hours. The hardest part was getting the oem system out without cutting it.

SoCalDMAX
01-29-2003, 10:36
That is NOT a turbo downpipe. The turbo downpipe is upstream of that and connects at the circular flange. That piece is what is included in most exhaust systems.

Notice they're advertising the Predator...

Regards, Steve

mdrag
01-29-2003, 10:43
wild bore,

Here is a link to a pic of the OEM vs Kennedy 'downpipe':

http://community.webshots.com/photo/45217341/45274893WXXNdj

I'll use the term downpipe since that is what everyone seems to call this section of exhaust :confused: Understand that this 'downpipe' section DOES NOT attach directly to the turbo outlet - there is one additional piece that attaches to the turbo outlet and squeezes between the engine/firewall. The turbo outlet section ends approx at the level of the frame, and then the 'downpipe' clamps to it.

hoot
01-29-2003, 10:54
Last I heard the downpipe is the piece that is connected to the back of the turbo and goes "DOWN" to connect to the rest of the exhaust.

"The 3" downpipe coming off the turbo quickly joins the main 3

mdrag
01-29-2003, 11:28
hoot,

I agree with you, but all the exhaust vendors seem to refer to the 'downpipe' as that pictured above.

Kennedy may have something to say on this subject.

mdrag

Rebel_Horseman
01-29-2003, 11:46
OK now I'm really conflused. :eek: tongue.gif

Reb [><]

hoot
01-29-2003, 11:55
Some vendors don't know what they are talking about. As far as I know their is no true aftermarket downpipe available for the Dmax and there may never be. One reason is the lack of clearance and the already well designed existing downpipe.

Any vendor calling part of their exhaust the downpipe is blowing smoke.

Kennedy
01-29-2003, 12:25
I gave up on this a long time ago. If someone asks, I state YES I do have a downpipe. It starts at the vee clamp flange. The real downpipe is up above this and AFAIK nobody makes one yet...

Heartbeat Hauler
01-29-2003, 13:11
I'm with Hoot. I had an 86 Buick T-Type and the downpipe was attached to the turbo outlet(exhaust side) and connected to the cat and then the rest of the exhaust system. I guess "Downpipe" sounds a whole lot better than the "piece in the middle" :D
JP

hoot
01-29-2003, 13:38
It's called the downpipe because of it's usual direction and that it's usually a relatively short "pipe".

The vendors are screwing the definition up for what reason I have no idea. I think the ones that know what they are talking about (J/K) should stick to the true definition. When you call the standard exhaust pipe something it is not, it tells me you don't know your business.

TraceF
01-29-2003, 14:58
I think I have also seen ads that call this section the head pipe.

wild bore
01-29-2003, 15:50
I posted that picture as I was running out the door this morning. At first glance and a quick read of info it sounded like a true down pipe, but I think it is the extra piece to go with the exhaust system.

I guess I caused a little excitement, sorry bout that. tongue.gif

mackin
01-29-2003, 16:53
Don't expect a whole lot tech info there.....Right up till I received my refund they were telling me the pred will adjust "some" tranny calibrations......

Now I do see they have changed the blanket description on the Predator to a more fitting description but still carry it with a GM trade mark symbol.....

=> Predator for 01-03 GM Duramax Diesel Truck Features:

* PCM Flash Tool Technology
* Multiple Tunes- 40HP, 60 HP, 85 HP
* Speed-Rev limiter raised
* Increased Speed Limiter and rev limiter
* Speedometer re-calibration for change in tire size
* Diesel Specific Diagnostic Capabilities - Read/Erase Fault Codes and Monitor Live Data

Do you think my persistent ball breaking had any thing to do with it ???? Nah !!!!!!
They do have a VERY NICE CC BLACK Dually pic........

Still waiting to see if it's worth the 6 bills for * Increased Speed Limiter and rev limiter and * Diesel Specific Diagnostic Capabilities - Read/Erase Fault Codes and Monitor Live Data,for me.....

So what exactly will it monitor????

How about a list of parameters RWTD.......

MAC

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

MountainMax
01-30-2003, 08:06
Check out the photos here. They moved the turbo forward for clearance.

http://forums.atsdiesel.com/showthread.php?s=9d5a47c457dcfb9a561cd0783993ed7b&threadid=6

Kent Tuttle
01-30-2003, 08:59
Sure looks like a nice set up. Is anyone working on a "downpipe" like this to fit with the factory turbo? I'm not sure I would change it though, as well as my truck runs the way it is :D

Dmaxin
01-30-2003, 09:06
From what i understand there is no way to get a bigger down pipe on the stock turbo. ATS turbo is mounted more towards the front of the truck to create more room for the oversized downpipe.

hoot
01-30-2003, 09:41
From the looks of those pictures, the stock pipe looks big enough but has that 90 deg immediate change of direction just out the back of the turbo. That's what that experimental ATS downpipe mostly eliminates.

CPMac632
01-30-2003, 10:12
Just for the record the turbo outlet is 3 inch and the downpipe just above the v clamp is 2.5 you guys can do the math.

hoot
01-30-2003, 10:40
Sounds like full 3" with moderate curvature would be flow improvement!

SteveO
01-30-2003, 11:19
Hi guys,

The pipe from the Turbo to the first clamp (V-Band type), I call it the Downpipe..

It's a 3", if you want to call smashed all up, 3".. I'm amazed we are able to make as much power as we do.. 500+ with the stock turbo and a terrible downpipe is outstanding IMO.....

The 4500/5500 DMax/Allison or ZF have a 3" too BUT it's not mashed at ALL.. 3" all the way down.. will it fit? Don't know, I do know it will not bolt directly to our VBand clamp because it's a longer..

The ATSDiesel looks good, but it's not going to be for everyone.. I want a 4" pipe without having to replace the turbo or move the turbo..

Dmax son
01-31-2003, 02:46
Just wondering, butcould you go to an oval shape, instead or does it have to be round. I don't mean crush it but make it oval, with the same inside area as a round downpipe has??

Bryan

RWTD
02-12-2003, 17:54
Mackin, I promise to have you a list of all monitored parameters by end of day Monday. It monitors a slew of parameters, more than the gas, that has 18 currently.

All the programs also upload in 15 seconds approx., so the time to change a tune, as you can see, is extremely quick.

2001's will be able to adjust their top end to 110 mph, and the 2002-2003 to 125 mph.

Sincerely...

mackin
02-12-2003, 19:26
Quote :"2001's will be able to adjust their top end to 110 mph, and the 2002-2003 to 125 mph."

Dude what's up with that MORE bad news?? A buck ten??
I still can't out run a mini van??

That's only a 13 MPH gain !!!!!!!! I know the 03's Chebbys are ugly so you want to get them as fast as possible,but what about the rest?? You have no idea what is a stack here,My Buddy Bill has a 02,my Pal Toddster has a gorgeous 03 GMC and it's gonna be wagging it's azz at me in the LONG haul,my truck got the hips......Good Grief MAN it can't be !!!!!!

MAC

:rolleyes: :( :rolleyes:

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-12-2003, 19:46
MAC,

Guess that Black Chevy is gonna have to be looking at some '02 GMC tail-lights tongue.gif tongue.gif

A red truck blazing by a BIG, BAD, BLACK DOOLEY.

RWTD------&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Say it ain't so!!!!! ;)

Mac,

can't believe ya forgot about me :(

Just kidding :D tongue.gif ;)

GMC smile.gif

mackin
02-12-2003, 20:37
Tony

I couldn't remember the year of your truck.....Dude I "was" a bogart'er !!!!! ;) Cut me some slack ...... smile.gif

This is the worse news yet ....I have to stay on the porch and pout .....
:(

One thing for sure all you chumps will be in my Rear View mirror, STRAIGHT TO 98 MPH !!!!!! See you there !!!!!!

MAC :D :D :D

George Gozelski
02-13-2003, 11:01
Everyones assumptions on what the downpipe is are correct. It is the pipe that runs from the back of the turbo to the front of the exhaust. I went round and round with some of the exhaust people advertising a Duramax downpipe and told them they were wrong!

dmaxalliTech
02-13-2003, 15:35
I dont know how you would ever get a bigger down pipe on stock truck, there is NO room between fire wall and inlet pipe that runs between downpipe and engine. the firewall is very close also. I have looked at the pictures of the ATS setup and looks good, but where do the turbo inlets hook up?? stock they mount to turbo directly under outlet pipe. Also, if you move the turbo forward, you are gonna have to redo your intake manifold, not much room all around. I do think it is a restriction in exhaust but I cant see much room for improvement with out a lot of fabricating and deep pockets, seems the gain would be minimal as compared to the cost to do it.

dmaxalliTech
02-13-2003, 21:09
I just reviewed pics again of turbo, never mind about the inlets. i see them now, still have a hard time believing that intake fits..

SoCalDMAX
02-13-2003, 23:40
Quote:"Quote :"2001's will be able to adjust their top end to 110 mph, and the 2002-2003 to 125 mph."
Dude what's up with that MORE bad news?? A buck ten??
I still can't out run a mini van??

That's only a 13 MPH gain !!!!!!!! I know the 03's Chebbys are ugly so you want to get them as fast as possible,but what about the rest?? You have no idea what is a stack here,My Buddy Bill has a 02,my Pal Toddster has a gorgeous 03 GMC and it's gonna be wagging it's azz at me in the LONG haul,my truck got the hips......Good Grief MAN it can't be !!!!!!

MAC"

ROTFLMAO!! Bwhahahaha!! That's hilarious! One of the guys who speeds the most...

There IS a God, and boy, does he have a sense of humor! :eek: :D

Regards, Steve