PDA

View Full Version : Towing, Juice,& stock exhaust

huntindog
01-27-2003, 17:23
OK, guys I am considering the Juice.
I tow 9000# with about 2000# of toys in the bed.
I live in Phoeniz AZ and it gets HOT here.
From Phoenix just about every tow is uphill from here.
The most traveled route north On I-17 and the steepest part is probably going up Sunset Point.
I would guess it at 6% to 8%.
Will this work keeping the stock exhaust?
Even in the summer?
Be realistic in your assessments, I want to know excactly what I'm in for.
I will install gauges, but I don't want to spend all this money just to have to back out of the throttle all the time.
Thanks in advance for your responses

GM Smitty
01-27-2003, 17:43
Some say a bigger exhaust helps..others say the EGT drop is almost unnoticeable. I like the sound and look of a bigger exhaust. As long as you have guages.. you'll be fine. If it gets hot, don't let off the accelerator, punch it so it drops a gear, and your EGT will drop too.

TLA
01-27-2003, 21:03
I have pulled up and down 17 twice now. I am a bit heavier than you are, but with stock exhaust and no Juice, southbound out of Camp Verde, I got up to 50 degrees below the red (1050)on EGT. With a 4" exhaust and the Juice (level 2), under almost identical conditions, I was about 950 post turbo and 15 mph faster.
I think you would be wise to get an EGT first, and establish a baseline for your truck and your driving habits, then decide what next. At least with EGT, if you run the Juice, you knkw where you are and can back off or shift down. My truck really gets high EGT if I try to pull small grades at 55 mph in OD. Make sure you get the OD lockout installed - makes it a lot better.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: TLA ]</p>

afp
01-28-2003, 22:50
The guy at Magnaflow told me the muffler was 75% of the restriction in the exhaust system. he aslo said the factory pipes were pretty decent. magnaflow offers both mufflers and a full exhaust system. I went with only the muffler initially. When I finally get around to towing, I'll add the 4" exhaust if my EGTs go too high.

Blaine

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: afp ]</p>

tonyskid
01-29-2003, 17:43
Hey Huntindog I have my Juice set at #2 tow mode and #4 for normal driveing, I tow a 28 foot enclosed car trailer that weights around 11000lbs across country twice now with the juice 4 times without it with a stock exhaust and have had no problems in tow mode pulling the hills, I also just watch the Pyro to make sure it doesnt get to high but to tell you the truth I only had to make it downshift once or twice to make the temps go down. GM SMITTY is right dont let off on it the best thing to do is MASH the GO PEDAL to make it down shift and you will be good to go.

Tony
:D :D :D :D :D