PDA

View Full Version : question for, 4meseb and everyone else outh there with truck caps

James S
10-19-2002, 11:37
Hey Scott, and everyone else with truck caps

I have my truck on order. It is a black, GMC 2500HD crew cab long box. I am adding Michelin 265/75 R16 M/S tires, Deezee stainless steel elite running boards, bedrug bed liner, and the Leer 122 cap which Scott and a couple others have. The fellow at the truck accessory store, is saying that the cap will not fit a crew cab long box "exactly one-hundred percent". So my question to you, is what is the fit like on yours, and what did you do to improve it, being the seal of the cap in terms of not allowing water to get in, air to get in, actual physical fit, whatever. Please be as specific as possible. He is also saying that I will loose two to three miles per gallon, compared to getting a cab high. I asked him that with out a canopy, wind will go in to the box and cause lots of drag. I would think that a canopy even a high one like this one, would improve milage by at least a mile per gallon, maybe more. This guy is saying it will decrease it even further and that no canopy will "increase fuel milage". Is this correct, or is he out to lunch? I would like answers from anybody, and soon as possible as I am placing the order on Monday. I am starting to get confused and frustrated, because I need a canopy to protect my cabinets. It is because I do cabinet making that I am getting the damn truck in the first place. I want to go with Leer for a canopy, so if someone can recommend one which will give me better milage than the 122, but one that still has lots of height, fire away. On the other hand, I don't want to kill my fuel milage, because I am getting the Duramax, for the SUPPOSED good milage. Please help guys, because I am about to lose it!

James

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: James S ]</p>

spctr13
10-21-2002, 09:03
Just saw your post &gt;

1st I can't compare before and after MPG as the cap was put on the day after I took delivery of the truck . After 57,000+ miles to all four corners of the US , 41 states , 3 provences , and one territory I have had no leaks . This is in all possible wx conditions , and a good beating on some of the roads . MPG runs 18.47 @ 72 mph on interstates , up to 21 with easy rural driving , 12 towing a 26' trailer . These are as accurate as you can get : I have a 98 gallon aux. tank so can go 2000 miles between fills , plus the miles are calculated with a GPS odometer that's on all the time . The truck is heavy , with the extra tank ,fuel, generator , tools, 3 jacks , etc. , over 8600#s . My opinion is that your installer is all wet with his predictions . " Does he have an alternative cap that he is trying to sell you??
As for fit !! Nothing made by man is "100% perfict " , but I do think this comes close . The line from the top of the cab to the cap is smooth , the rise to the rear continuous and aerodynamic . Take a look at my pictures @ picturtrail.com/spctr13 and judge for yourself .
You have to have a cap to secure your tools and product , and I don't think think there is a better one , short of custom made .

Mac

Tim B
10-21-2002, 10:30
James - I have a 2002 D/A 4x4 Ext cab, short box with 13,500 miles on it. I have had the 122 top since I got the truck. I get 15-16 around town and 20 at a steady 65 (I only checked this once, when the truck only had about 1500 miles on it - it very well may be better now). I get 15 pulling a 7500 pound boat/trailer at 60. All figures include running AC. I don't see why MPG should suffer with any topper because you are smoothing the flow, not adding disruption. The 122 has a smooth, gradual rise. It's not as if a block is sticking up above the cab.
Mine will leak just a little at one point. I haven't traced it because I don't normally carry anything very valuable back there. And here in Florida, when it rains, IT RAINS, so I don't consider a small leak too objectionable. I do intend to find it, just hasn't been a high priority.
I don't know why you were told that the cab wouldn't fit well - a long box is a long box, whether hooked to a crew cab, ext cab, or a standard cab should make no difference. Mine fits fine.
I got this top because one of the diesel page guys posted a picture of his truck with that top on it. I think it looks great, especially on a long bed. The long bed seems to make the gradual taper of the top look very classy.
In short, I really like this top and would not buy a different configuration.

Tim B.