PDA

View Full Version : hey California owners

Chevy Ryan
01-25-2003, 13:30
It sounds like all Duramax engines will get EGR and a catalytic converter to meet 2004 emissions. Since you have had these features since the first Dmax in fall 2000, anyone had any problems or complaints with their EGR/catalytic systems? I would think the 49 state EGR system will be very similar to what you've been dealing with the last 2-plus years. Thanks for any input. smile.gif

britannic
01-25-2003, 15:05
I just bought a 2003 here in Northern California and it doesn't have a CAT, I haven't checked for EGR yet, as it's in the shop over this weekend for warranty work.

OC_DMAX
01-25-2003, 16:36
All 2002 and 2003 DMAX's with California emission packages (option code YF5,,I believe) have a Cat / EGR system. To date I have had no problems. I would not expect any major issues for the first 60k or 70k miles since most emission systems are warranted for some period of time. After that, it is anyones guess. Judging by what I have read about 6.5L GM diesels, it sounds like things plug-up after a while. Maybe designs evolve with time.

I know some people have installed 4 inch exhaust systems and removed the CAT. Seems like it would lower exhaust back pressure, especially as the CAT begins to plug up.

The only small annoyance is the sound of the vacuum pump on the front passenger side of the truck.

DmaxMaverick
01-25-2003, 16:46
No problems here. But, then again, my '01 doesn't have a cat or EGR. 2002 was the first production year for them in CA.