PDA

View Full Version : low oil pressure upon cold start

needbigtruck
10-15-2002, 16:47
A couple of weeks ago the "check engine oil pressure" warning flashed on then off (right after the battery indicator goes off) after sarting the truck. Of course it was dark out and the dash lights don't come on until the brake is released, so I didn't know what the pressure was. So I've been watching. In the past week it's done it almost every day. The pressure is low, in fact it seems to take forever to come up. I've been checking the oil level, thinking that I have the fuel oil in oil problem, but the oil level is staying constant. I only have about 1500 miles on this oil. My questions are: 1. how do I tell if fuel oil is diluting the engine oil. 2. is this happening because it's getting colder out and last year the engine wasn't as broken in? 3.if you think I have a problem what do I look for. I have about 29000 miles on the truck, and I have always used Shell RotellaT. Other than the cold start pressure problem the pressure seems to be normal. It's usually at 80 psig at 60 MPH. Drops to mis range at idle.

FirstDiesel
10-15-2002, 16:54
I'd try changing the filter. What brand do you have on the truck now?? Might be leaking down and you are repriming it at startup. Just a thought, and a cheap first thing to try. I'd go with a stock filter just to be safe in case you need to take the truck to the dealer.

needbigtruck
10-15-2002, 17:08
It has the GM filter on it now and I have always used a GM filter even thought they cost 15 bucks. But you are right sure seems like thats what it's doing. Filter sits at an angle, so it really can't drain between starts.

mackin
10-15-2002, 17:14
If you had fuel in oil you would smell it on dipstick and it would look like you had over filled the crankcase.....

Quote: From "Hoot" on anouther thread=>There is a quick check for fuel in the oil. Pull the dipstick and let it drip on a paper towel. If you get a double ring, it's likely you have fuel in the oil.

Not broken in na.....I got 20k on mine still pins the needle.....I'd go with the filter as mentioned ....

MAC

[ 10-15-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NickLeinonen
10-15-2002, 17:53
you can also smell diesel fuel in the oil if it is getting in. doesn't need much diesel in the oil to make it smell like diesel