PDA

View Full Version : LLY Failure

mulerose
08-11-2004, 15:48
My 04 lly started losing power, smoking, vibrating, smelling bad so I took it in and they found the #1 cylinder was failing. They found a broken lifter rod (a 3/4" solid stainless rod that holds all the lifters. The mechanic found hat one of the two bolts that hold the rod to the block hsd loosened causing vibration and eventually fracture. They assured me there was no damage to the engine? and I am amazed that I was able to drive the 35 miles to the dealer. Had to order the part from thd Dmax plant so I'll be without a truck for at least a week, so will have to pull my mule trailer with the buick they loaned me--ha.

More Power
08-13-2004, 07:53
Sorry for your engine trouble. There have been a few instances over the past 3-1/2 years where an engine had an assembly problem, resulting in an issue along the lines you experienced. They are pretty rare however.

If its any consolation, the folks at DMAX pay attention to these kinds of issues, and change production methods to catch improperly installed hardware. Much of the engine assembly is automated, without direct human intervention. A series of tests are incorporated into the assembly processes designed to catch errors before going on to the next step in the assembly.

MP

mulerose
08-16-2004, 05:45
I'm real impressed with my dealer, Becker, in Spokane, Brought the truck in Wed am and had it back by Fri. noon. They had to order the parts from Dmax. Service manager said that that was the first DMax that they had been inside the engine on. Runs great and hope that is the last of my problems.