PDA

View Full Version : Production of Duramax

denverdale
08-11-2004, 12:20
I was at the dealers yesterday and my salesman told me that GM has stopped production of the Duramax. He wasn't sure why. Has anyone else heard this?

My truck goes in tomorrow to have the injectors checked for an "overfuel" condition at idle. I'll let you know what they find.

Denverdale

quadrunner500
08-12-2004, 09:15
Taking it to Burt?

Keep us posted, please.

denverdale
08-12-2004, 10:53
Yes, I took it to Burt. They diagnosed it as a bad injector on number 8. It was "overfueling". When they came to tell me, they informed me that they had all the parts and could have it changed by about 2 pm. It was about 10 am at that time. I had had the number 1 infector fail previously. It wasn't injecting enough fuel. Took the shuttle home and they will come pick me up when it is done.

I only have about 23000 miles on the truck at this time. Talked to them about changing all eight out and my situation doesn't meet the criteria to do that yet.

Denverdale

More Power
08-12-2004, 13:00
Regarding production of the Duramax 6600, the word from above says there is no validity to what your dealer said about stopping engine production.

MP

quadrunner500
08-12-2004, 13:42
Talking to Burt (service) is a direct line to GM, they are a no BS dealer.

May I ask what symptoms you experienced, or was this discovered as a routine check?

I took mine in for the lopey idle.

B INSPECT FOR LOPE AT IDLE AT TIMES ADVISE
1T LIGHT LINE TRUCK
44627 INCL SCAN TEST PCM - NO CODES

denverdale
08-13-2004, 04:56
Quadrunner500
My symptoms were as follows: After vehicle was warmed up and especially after pulling my Travel Trailer, when you would stop and let the truck idel, I would get a loud tapping. Here is what they found.
"No fuel in oil, check fuel rail vacuum 2 in, check injector balance rate 8.5MM spec 3MM - 6MM in drive or nutral, NEC TOO comand fuel rail pressure to 160MPA, actual vs. disiard matches, Nec to remove glow plug #8 some mostur found check PI's and service bullitens found PI #00154A, nec to replace #8 fuel injector"
I'm not sure exactly what all that tells me.
They did have the work done by about 3 pm or a total of about 5 hours after I was told they wanted to go ahead and change the injector.

Also, it was my salesman that told me the Duramax production had been halted. I don't believe it though.

Denverdale

quadrunner500
08-13-2004, 05:21
That reads like they performed an injector test per a bulletin. If they can reduce a problem to a particular injector, that's a leap from where they were when I got my Duramax in 2001 when they had hardly seen one.

When I said they are a no-nonsense service department, I meant to exclude sales as anyone can be a loose cannon.

The Burt service department is one reason I went with the Silverado and not the GMC. They don't give you free coffee and donuts, or pamper you particularly, but they do jump on most problems without an appointment, and haven't tried to sell me a lot of unnecessary repairs or maintenance.

One anecdote, we took our old '89 Blazer S10 with 170,000 miles into them for a rough running problem, they diagnosed as bad #6 spark plug wire. They replaced the ONE wire. Didn't try and sell me any more, distributor cap, plugs, PVC etc...no non-sense.

Now they do own that GMC down the street but before they didn't.

denverdale
08-13-2004, 06:16
I have been very happy with Burt Chev. This is the second truck I have received through them. The first was a lease through AT&T (as an employee) and delivered by Burt, and the second is my 2002 Dmax. Good service and I also have been very pleased with the salesman I have delt with. I would reccommend him to anyone.

Denverdale