PDA

View Full Version : How cold have you guys sucessfully started?

FormulaPro
01-21-2003, 10:32
Went to fire my Dmax on Sunday morning, 14 below. Plugged it in for about 40 mins. Wouldn't start. Batteries didn't have enough. I think I am going to have to replace them.

Black Dog
01-21-2003, 11:48
Have you checked your positive battery lugs for corrosion? Also, it's a long shot, but on my truck there was a ground cable that is supposed to be connected to the engine block on the drivers side near the bottom/front that was never connected on the assembly line. I had to crawl under a truck at a dealership to see where it was supposed to be connected, and then buy a bolt to use. The truck cranked a lot faster once that cable was hooked up, but it started OK with it disconnected also, so if I hadn't happened to see it hanging under there, I never would have known.

dl537
01-21-2003, 12:06
I started mine last winter in -17 temps. Seemed to work fine and it wasn't plugged in either. I guess I need to start using that feature as I live in a cold climate.

FormulaPro
01-21-2003, 13:34
Thanks for the info Rover....I'll check those ground straps tonight.

Maverick
01-21-2003, 13:50
Started at -23 not plugged in. It didn't like it but it started right up.

zip
01-21-2003, 14:04
Dang, Mav!
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
zip :D

Black Dog
01-21-2003, 15:06
"Thanks for the info Rover"

woof!

Cowboy_120
01-21-2003, 15:22
Its been cold up here in Toronto lately. I started the truck at -25 degrees celcius, -35 with the wind chill. It grunted and grown for a couple of minutes, but thanks the the high idle system, it was warm in no time.

Maxter
01-21-2003, 15:31
I regulary start it at -25 celcius unplugged. And it depend how long it's been sitting there.

Ironicaly, I can't use my remote starter bellow arround -15 celsius. The glow plugs and the driving lights put such a strain on the batteries that the voltage drops bellow 8-10 volts (from 14-16 volts) and my remote starter would "reboot".

It goes without explaining that 1-2 shots of that and it won't start at all after. So, now when the temperature is very low, I put my coat on and start it manualy!

JF

Bobcat698
01-21-2003, 16:08
Mine started up at about -5

kerry witherspoon
01-21-2003, 20:08
coldest i have started is minus 35 celcius , trick i use is push e brake down no draw from lights let glowplugs cycle twice turn key off back on.works every time. never plug in.

imported_
01-21-2003, 21:16
I have also started my truck up in -35C weather. The e-brake trick helps. I also let the glow plugs cycle twice. It didn't like it but it has always started. You should ask my neighbor about starting his 02 ford at -25C without pluging in, oh ya you can't cuz it won't!! ;) I drove him to work again today. Puts a smile on my face! :D

SledZep
01-21-2003, 22:36
-9 is the lowest for me. Started right up!!

My garage doors were completed today... soon my baby will be inside AND plugged in!!

Maverick
01-21-2003, 23:35
Cowboy_120,
Windchill has no effect on a machine. Only living things....ie; dogs, cats, moose, and humans. Don't know if you were implying that the windchill had an effect on your truck. ;)

mackin
01-22-2003, 04:52
Last year 15 below in Vermont running 15w 40 synthetic...Buried the Oil Pressure needle.....

So far this year CT only 5 degrees, but I may edit as it's nippy this mourning.....Running Delvac I 5W 40 syn and I see the Oil Pressure is manageable especially driving the first few miles.....

My E-brake peddle wont fully release in this cold weather, have to manually pull it up the balance of the way and my headlight switch is NON function beyond parking lamps in this weather ???? Weird to say the least....

MAC

gardnerteam
01-22-2003, 07:53
Started it once at Great Falls Montana December 29th or 30th, 2001 at -35 F, 4AM in the morning. Parked outside a motel. Forgot to plug it in the night before. It hesitated, but caught and fired without a lot of problem. I figure I was very LUCKY. It has been started many times at -15 without a problem. -35 is really pushing it without using the block heater.

hawkeye43
01-22-2003, 23:28
-22 on the lake in northen minn. so cold out one of tip-ups we used for fishing froze in solid, but the duramax started. smile.gif

Grizz272
01-23-2003, 01:24
I work third shift and my Max can't get plugged in.
So far -7 F and not a problem. Tonight it is -9 and falling, we will see. I know that wind chill has no effect on vehicles but when it is cold (-10 and lower) everyone parks with there front headed south out of the wind. The people that don't usually have problems. Just an observation from 28 yrears in the same parking lot.

Grizz
2K3 GMC 2500HD EC SB 4X4

George Gozelski
01-23-2003, 02:37
Hey all you cold weather Dmax owners, you should install an oil pan heater. NAPA sells a good one. I've had them on my old CTD's in the past and it works better than the block heater because with just using your block heater, your oil is still cold. It's a little harder to mount on the Dmax because of the shape of the oil pan but it sure works great. On my old CTD's, the whole engine was luke warm and temperature was "right there" on those cold mornings! Also, I've found that it really saved on fuel consumption. :rolleyes:

DMAX-RAY
01-23-2003, 06:19
-12 for me! Started right up - I did not plug it in. Just give it a little time to warm up and off we go!

Idle_Chatter
01-23-2003, 10:14
I started mine at -5 in northern WV new year's day 2002 after sitting at curbside overnight without block heat. It fired right away, but idled very rough and made blue smoke for the entire 15 min warmup at idle. The Dmax won't warm up much without load, but it smoothed out and came right on up when I started driving. Haven't had any other real cold starts without the block heater since. Now I have a heated garage and plug-in and it started without a glow cycle this morning at 11 degrees in Maryland :D

Grizz272
01-23-2003, 11:08
Well it bottomed out at -14F. She started, not happy about it but started and ran. I gave her about 7 minutes warm up and all was well. tongue.gif tongue.gif

chrisinkanata
01-23-2003, 14:24
I started my truck yesterday morning at -28C. I guess that'd be around -20F. Don't have the conversions handy. Anyway, truck fires right up, chugging and farting as usual when it's that cold. This time though it took the oil pres. long enough to build up that the message centre displayed 'check engine oil presure'. It went out after several seconds but it seemed like forever. Normal Delvac 15W40. Maybe I should get an oil pan heater.

BigLakeDMAX
01-26-2003, 18:42
Started this morning, not plugged in, at -20F north of Detroit Lakes, MN after sitting two days in the woods along the shore of a lake. I did have trouble finding my way back inside through that blue fog...

Two glow plug cycles and ran pretty rough at first but hi idle helped it warm up. 5w40 Rotella T synthetic.

Won't make a habit of it. Back in the heated garage tonight.

fredw
01-26-2003, 21:18
started mine after sitting for two days at a low of 30c and a high of 18c, started easy little smoke :D :D :D