PDA

View Full Version : Head swap?

Burner
07-29-2004, 21:21
has anyone swapped the LB7 heads for LLY heads? It would be quite $$$ to do... but how much? Lose some cup seals, get easy access to injectors and have those return lines on the outside, for a change. Sounds cheaper and better for the long run. I don't think there would be a programming issue...I don't think?

mdrag
07-29-2004, 22:39
Burner,

More Power's LLY DURAMAX 6600 (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lly2004.htm) report in the Feature Article section states that the LLY and LB7 cylinder heads (and the fuel injectors and fuel injection pump) are not interchangeable.

More Power
07-30-2004, 13:30
Some enterprising soul could probably make it work, but the injector difference could be a problem. If I remember correctly, GM went to a 60-volt coil on each injector in the 2003 model year, where the '01 & '02 used 90-volt injector solenoid coils. I haven't heard what voltage the FICM uses in the LLY to fire the injectors.

The non-interchangeability statement in the above linked article came directly from the GM literature included with the media kit I received. Other than explaining the differences in valves and flow, it did not go into a lot of detail about differences not visible from the outside (like intake manifold, valve covers, fuel rails, injectors & lines, etc.).

MP