PDA

View Full Version : fuel guage

RustyRoss
04-14-2005, 05:29
My guage bounces back and forth constantly betweeen full and empty. Light comes on when "empty". Anyone tried to change sender? Do you have to remove tank? Any chance there is a "loose wire"?

madmatt
04-14-2005, 19:21
it's probably a sender. no you don't have to remove the tank.....you can pull the bed :D I personally just drop the tank.

RustyRoss
04-15-2005, 07:00
Come on, surely someone has some useful info . . .

DmaxMaverick
04-15-2005, 07:54
Originally posted by RustyRoss:
Come on, surely someone has some useful info . . . Huh???

madmatt
04-15-2005, 13:27
Useful :confused: Do you expect us to diag your truck over the PC :rolleyes: a loose wire would usually set a code for an open however a faulty sender usually just fluctates due to obscured resistence readings. the senders are a simple job but a lift helps.

[ 04-16-2005, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: madmatt ]

RustyRoss
04-19-2005, 05:39
Do you need any special tools to remove the sender unit from the tank?

RustyRoss
04-19-2005, 10:43
I got an on line quote of $ 308.00 , for a float??? Isn't that a little steep?

madmatt
04-19-2005, 17:31
It's been a while since I've quoted one of these jobs, but yes that does sound high for parts. I'd check w/ your dealer. No special tools are needed for this job. A lift, tranny jack, and a good pair of safty glasses makes it a lot easier though.

olimaxx
04-19-2005, 19:10
rusty i changed one on vacation by pulling the bed. if your tank is full it can be heavy. there is like six bolts on the bed and three around the gas filler. i think you might have to pull the tail lights. my cousin was there and we slid the bed back enough to give work room. there is like a big jam nut the=at a screwdriver and hammer can knock loose. if you have the oarts it can be about 2 - 3 hours. the sending unit sould have the fuel pump also. so you get a new fuel pump out of it.

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2005, 19:40
Originally posted by olimaxx:
....the sending unit sould have the fuel pump also. so you get a new fuel pump out of it. Fuel pump??? Not in a GM Diesel fuel tank. The Duramax equipped trucks dont' have a "lift pump" at all. The only OEM pump is engine driven. The low pressure/suction pump is the same component as the high pressure pump, 2 pumps, back to back. The fuel system is suction only, from the tank to the engine driven pump. I think GM should have included a lift pump with the Duramax, but sure am glad they didn't put one in the tank!

More Power
04-20-2005, 14:02
I still need to get a complete assembly for the fuel tank (fittings - vent, fuel return, fuel supply, sender, float, etc) for Lil Red. A local dealer quoted me a little more than $200 for everything that drops into the tank.

MP

madmatt
04-20-2005, 15:14
you can just unplug the tail lamp harness. no need to remove the lights.

RustyRoss
04-22-2005, 09:14
Thanks for the info. I'm too busy right now to do it, may wait until the yellow info light drives me crazy. Let me know if you get a better price.