PDA

View Full Version : Am I making a mistake ?

finnster
12-28-2003, 10:43
Please stop me if this is a mistake!!
2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD LT D/A crew cab long bed with 41000 miles in excellent conditon for $27000. This truck had 1 owner, traveling computer consultant, used for work and towing mid size camper. This is the type of vehical I have been searching for. I'm going to buy this truck this week unless everyone here tells me I'm a fool. What should I check and what inital mantainance should be done? If I could afford a new one I would buy it !!!

hd90rider
12-28-2003, 13:09
I would have a dealer pull up all available service work done to the truck,& see what problems,if any,have been repaired.Hopefully the injectors have been replaced already as this year truck has had many injector failures.

finnster
12-28-2003, 15:05
I have done carfax and the dealer said he will have the service records printed out for me.

crafty
12-28-2003, 17:17
While I know that some of the members here that have 2001 trucks have had injector failures, there are some of us that have had no troubles at all. I'm approaching the 40,000 mile mark with mine and I have never had a problem. I think the truck should be great. Just be sure to change the fuel filter when required and buy fuel from a good source. Good Luck!! :D :D :D

letsgo
12-28-2003, 17:22
finnster If you do a search on the 2001 you should find a number of references to computer software upgrades to be installed by GMC originally free, if out of warranty it will cost you???
The following hyperliks should provide you with the updates that you might be interested in checking out at the service department, you will require the vin number of your future purchase.

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/archive.html

good luck.

sonofagun
12-28-2003, 20:44
finster,

You don't mention if you are buying this vehicle from a dealer but if you are make any updates available a part of the deal. All they cost the dealership is some time to install them. They will make a lot if difference to you if they have not been installed yet.

I bought a 2001 in July 2001 and had no troubles with it. A friend of mine has it now and has 47,000 miles on it with no troubles to date. Ditto what was said in clean fuel. I would even recommend you add a second fuel filter (2 micron). Look for posts on fuel filters for info.

Good luck,
Bob

SoMnDMAX
12-28-2003, 21:26
I had an '01 and logged 40,000 pretty much trouble free miles.

Replaced fuel pressure sensor @ 3or 4,000 miles (failed, no problems after that)

Replaced injection pump @ 30,000 miles. Cured rough idle. Known problem, GM has been fixing them. The early '01 trucks had a design flaw in the injection pump.

Other than that, it was a great truck. Never left me sit, and ALWAYS did exactly what I needed it to do. No injector problems for me.

Get the service records, and go from there.

If you do buy it, make sure all of the ECM and TCM software upgrades have been installed. Also, there was a service bulletin to replace the air box with an updated one. You'll want them to do that too if it hasn't been done already.

finnster
12-29-2003, 09:23
Thanks for the info and the links. yes this is from the dealer and I will be calling him today!!

Turbo Al
12-29-2003, 10:12
I have the 2001 with no problems with the pump or injectors, correct me if I am wrong but it seems like the one's having the MAJORITY of the injector problems were the one's with the juice boxes, MINE is STOCK except some computer upgrades and the K&N air filter. I would however change the fuel filter a little more often than GM says.
Al

finnster
12-30-2003, 11:43
Dealer has the service records and nothing major !! ie : no injectoror fuel pressor problems and 1 computer recalibration "drivetrain" ? I asked the service tech to check if all the computer upgrades have been done and he said they will only be done if there was a check engine light or obvious problem. I asked him to check the data base and I need all the computer software upgrades installed for this truck prior to my purchase. He wanted to know where I got my information from and reluctantly said he would check the data base. Unless someone has an idea I guess I have to hope it's all done correctly ?? What about the air box ? I see there was a service bulletin 01-06-04-050 do the have to replace it ?
thank for your help and input !!

Commuter Cop
12-31-2003, 19:20
The price seems a little high too me.

I paid a little over $32,000 for my truck from my dealer brand new after all incentives, rebates and dealer reduction. Truck listed for $41,000 less $3,000 incentive on truck, $1,500 for engine and the rest from the dealer. Why don't you check dealers in your area and see if they have any 2003 leftovers. ;) If you pay a few thousand more the financing advantage (assuming your financing)on new versus used, might put you with the same payment. Also, you get a new vehicle warranty.

finnster
01-02-2004, 17:30
Well it's a done deal mistake or not!! I'm a proud owner now and have begun the maintainance program and researching my mods!!! so if i did make a mistake don't tell me now!!!
thanks for your help and support. [/LIST]

2001 silverado 2500HD LT CC LB D/A black & tan

LakeDaisy
01-03-2004, 16:51
Originally posted by finnster:
Well it's a done deal mistake or not!! I'm a proud owner now [/LIST]

2001 silverado 2500HD LT CC LB D/A black & tan I have never owned a truck that I enjoy driving as much as I do this truck. You didn't make a mistake. Good Luck.