PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank size on short box

bookie3
11-07-2003, 06:49
I was disappointed to find the Fuel tank on the 4 Door short box to be the smaller size. Was Frustrated to find out there was no option to increase capacity from the factory. Are there any options out there other then putting a tank in the bed? I will have my truck in about 15 days not that I am counting.
Thanks guys!

Bridgeman
11-07-2003, 07:07
I agree - A 100 Litre Fuel Tank on a truck like this is constraining. I Seem to always be looking for fuel.

LakeDaisy
11-07-2003, 15:42
Check out this place. I believe you can replace your tank (not cheap) with a larger one. I have their 50 Auxillary tank in my bed.

http://www.transferflow.com/

bobojay
11-07-2003, 23:18
I can recommend the transfer flow 46 gallon replacement tank. Easy install, fuel gauge works ok with it. Only drawback is it's expensive...

letsgo
11-08-2003, 09:13
bobojay, reguarding your 46 gal tank, how much clearance is there around the fuel radiator??
My concern is air flow, if the air flow is blocked will this increase the fuel temperature and thus not cool the electronic controller (forgot its name) mounted on the engine??
also did you get the filler kit?? and is it worth the trouble of installing and money??

thanks for any info.

mdrag
11-17-2003, 19:06
letsgo,

I've had the 56 gal TFI replacement tank on my '01 3500 for almost 2 years with no problems. I questioned the fuel cooler location/airflow before I purchased, and it has not been an issue - even in OK, with MANY days of 100 - 105+ temps.

The clearance around the fuel cooler is tight, with just enough room to R&R the cooler and lines. IMHO, the fast fill fillneck option is worth it. I fuel (whenever possible) using the high flow rate nozzles at the highest setting and have NOT yet found one that is too fast for the TFI setup - 50 gal in a little over 2 minutes especially in freezing weather can't be beat :eek: I've performed a double take on the pump readings on more than one occasion to verify that 40-50 gals were actually pumped...that quickly.

Forum members with the TFI fast fill fillneck option for the OEM tank have reported mixed results.

Jack's Dmax
11-18-2003, 01:01
bookie3,

I had the TFI 45 gallon tank installed earlier this year at their factory in California. The service and the tank installation was excellent.

I also strongly suggest that you get the large filler so that you can fuel at the truck stops.

I have had no issues and would recomend the TFI tanks to everyone. Stepping up to 45 gallons is BIG improvement. I would go bigger, but don't want to tie up the space in the bed.

Good luck with your choice,

Jack

letsgo
11-28-2003, 13:50
mdrag thanks.

Jack's Dmax did you get to keep your original fuel tank, and the original filler or did the factory installers keep the left overs??? Will be out in CA. and want to know what to expect when I have the larger tank installed.

fyi last year I got a price for the install in Florida the price in Fort Pierce was $600 for ups and labor $850 " it was an all night job" so they said, thats why I'm going to the factory.

If anyone can give me a better price I would be interested.

thanks for any info