PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it warm??

Dihrdbowti
10-31-2004, 11:14
So this past week I did a road trip to So Cal from Reno. Reno is starting to get colder as we head into winter but not as cold as some of you guys get up north. Here is my problem. As I left So Cal the weather was in the 70's. I was towing a 5500lb trailer and coming out the engine, exhaust and tranny temps were doing well on the climbs out of the valley and even the long climb out of Bishop. I was running 55 mph up that hill in 3rd with the cheap TCC lockup switch and my EGT was ranging between 700-800, the engine temp about 190 and the tranny max 180. The outside temps here were in the 40's. However a few miles down the road on Hwy 395 past Bridgeport the temp was 28 degrees I was on a downhill and my EGT was less than 200 the engine temp was staying at 180 and my injectors (I think) were really rattling until I got the EGT above 300. Going through the range of tempuratures 70's to 20's how do you go about keeping it warm??

AndyL
10-31-2004, 13:16
I have cruised below 0 and don't recall any noise differences. Maybe I should turn the radio down?

BTW, it started fine at -15 that morning (no block heater). Cranked slow but started on the 3rd or 4th turn! Idled rough for maybe 3-5 seconds and leveled out.