PDA

View Full Version : Gauge question

CHILLINONTHERIVER
01-11-2006, 12:51
I currently have the Edge w/attitude on my truck and I am getting ready to install EGT and Boost gauges so when the truck has to go into the dealer I don't have the thermocouple wire just hanging there connected to nothing. The question is when I get the truck back and hook the Edge back up can I leave the gauge hooked up as well or does it need to be disconnected for the edge to work properly?

More Power
01-11-2006, 13:46
I wouldn't recommend connecting two gauges to one pyrometer. Like you, I have an Edge/Attitude in Lil Red and I also wanted separate gauges. I installed a second pyrometer in the driver's side exhaust manifold for the Autometer EGT gauge. The E/A pyrometer is in the passenger side exaust manifold.

Jim

cowboywildbill
01-12-2006, 12:29
Do you find that your left bank runs hotter than the right and also climbs faster when nailing it at W O T or a long hard pull? I notice that on ours and I guess it is the restriction in the left manifold that causes that. I wonder if the new engine has a unrestricted drivers side manifold?

More Power
01-12-2006, 14:50
Cowboy, Yes, I see higher temps in the driver's side manifold - about 25-100 degrees. The gauges almost agree under a light load cruise at about 600 degrees EGT. However, I'd need to swap sides to eliminate gauge calibration as a possible cause of the different readings.

Back when I first installed the second pyrometer, I posted here about what I saw. A couple others chimed in saying that they saw higher driver's side readings as well... So, it would appear there is a trend. If so, it could be due to the slightly more restrictive manifold design on the driver's side. BD's newly designed manifold is now available...

Jim